[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

McBaby expected to skate through our crease untouched when JT hit him. I  love that,players protecting our goalies space. I like how PDG dropped McD after he pulled him off the scrum, he dropped him so fast because he could feel the refs eyeballing him. Good move PDG. We showed great composure in not drawing penalties in that scrum. That's good coaching.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

McBaby expected to skate through our crease untouched when JT hit him. I  love that,players protecting our goalies space. I like how PDG dropped McD after he pulled him off the scrum, he dropped him so fast because he could feel the refs eyeballing him. Good move PDG. We showed great composure in not drawing penalties in that scrum. That's good coaching.

Yes I loved that when Hyman jumped in for mcbaby, Miller dropped him and then PDG literally restrained MCDavid and held him down and made him look helpless in the ice. 

Glad he didn't punch him while holding him down. I think the game could have gotten ugly if that happened. Wouldn't want a goon like nurse targeting Hughes. 

I felt like we did everything right 

• Cheers 4

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes I loved that when Hyman jumped in for mcbaby, Miller dropped him and then PDG literally restrained MCDavid and held him down and made him look helpless in the ice. 

Glad he didn't punch him while holding him down. I think the game could have gotten ugly if that happened. Wouldn't want a goon like nurse targeting Hughes. 

I felt like we did everything right 

It was funny when PDG skated into the angry McD during that and McD looked up and thought "nope not you" and skated away.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It was funny when PDG skated into the angry McD during that and McD looked up and thought "nope not you" and skated away.

It was fun watching the oilers become unglued. Our team toughness was enough to deter them going the physical route so they played pretend tough guys while whining to the refs. I think that was the best part. 

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It was fun watching the oilers become unglued. Our team toughness was enough to deter them going the physical route so they played pretend tough guys while whining to the refs. I think that was the best part. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm so happy we added size and grit we've needed that for so long.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm so happy we added size and grit we've needed that for so long.

Yes the culture of the team is changing. RT transformed this team with a big attitude shift but we also backed it up by adding size like Soucy Cole. It allows our other guys to play tougher like Myers, Joshua, Miller. 

I don't want to mess with a good thing but I would like one more deterrent like Deslauriers in the bottom 6 along with an upgrade on Friedman. I think that would put us over the top and we could be legit contenders. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spook007 said:

This is not being talked about enough....

Only the most optimistic Canucks fan would have seen this come this quick, once JR/PA came in....

They knew exactly what they wanted, and what they were prepared to pay for it.... What a turn around...

Or the few fans that saw how bad Benning was as GM.

I've said all along that a GM isn't a scout.

I think Allvin proved me right.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

What used to bug me about 'The Big Irishman' was that he would wait until the last moment to call a timeout.  Then they'd huddle up and he would  lower his glasses on his nose and look over them and tell them what to do.  And it almost always worked.  But he'd wait til the last minute many, many times.  Still, he's my all time favorite coach.  

Tocchet has really impressed me so far, and it looks like he is building for long-term success.

From PA and his AGMs, the scouting and development teams, a platoon of coaches, trainers, and the Sedins and Higgins and even Coach Mike "Yep" the whole thing is working like a first-class business organization.

I really wasn't sure Francisco was capable of hiring a proper president and I wasn't sure if Jim Rutherford could still handle the workload and the pressure.  I think the jury may still be out on both of them, but so far, JR has done a wonderful job and is even starting to loosen the reins a bit on Patrik Allvin (I speculate). 

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.  You hit every main point, concern and thought I wasn't able to articulate.  

Cheers

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He sure didn't want Miller either.  McD playing the tough guy, pushing and shoving with JT, a guy who is actually tough, and then Whoosh - BIG Pushback from JT.

Hyman took a couple good rights before wrestling to the ice.  The look on Connie's face was Mastercard Priceless.

• Haha 3

The advantage of coaches like Tocc and Pat Quinn are they played the game. They have a better sense on how to speak to players and get the best of them. Not sure what happened. But it sounds like Rick had a talk with Myers. Whatever was said, either it was a vote of confidence. Or maybe Foote told him to focus, work your strengths, don't chase the play, just do the best you can on the assignment. Don't try to do the other players work as well as your own. because the past few games. Myers looks almost like a different defenceman. He's smarter, more aware, more focused. Even just letting the goalies, goalie. He will probably never live up to the $6 million paycheque. But at least he can prove to be an effective D-man. That alone the coaching staff has to get massive kudos.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He will probably never live up to the $6 million paycheque.

In my muddled morning mind,

I am musing that Myers earned every penny for the retribution on Duncan's Donut.

Need coffee. And, where the hell is the GDT?

I am jonesing for a game day thread. Too early?  Psshaw!

@John.Tallhouse is on the GDT Sign-Up Thread for today's game.

I am really looking forward to seeing what he comes up with as his posts are awesome.

No pressure John, we're still beating the hell out of the old PGT, lol.

Have to keep it clean in there; the New Centurions are running rampant, stomping on the Un-PC.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I am musing that Myers earned every penny for the retribution on Duncan's Donut.

I am really looking forward to seeing what he comes up with as his posts are awesome.

Have to keep it clean in there; the New Centurions are running rampant, stomping on the Un-PC.

The game isn't until tomorrow night, November 9th.

2 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Or the few fans that saw how bad Benning was as GM.

I've said all along that a GM isn't a scout.

I think Allvin proved me right.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the core that is powering this team were Benning guys, no,?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Hi All

Just arrived back in Prince Rupert from Vancouver........took in the Oilers/Canucks game. 20 to 2 shots on goal and the Oiler fans were very loud, But we rallied the boys, and the came back with a vengeance. We had alot of fun! I would say, with plane tickets, hotel rooms, meals, and booze, we probably spent $3000 between the 3 of us. Maybe a little more, as the boys stayed out a little later than the old geezer (me)

But anyways, as the game proceeded, it was painfully obvious, that the Oilers lack a puck moving defenseman. And the more our captain took over the game, the more the Oiler fans jumped off the bridge. 

Great Game, with Hughes and Demko leading the way. We really noticed hoglander and Joshua out there in their limited time.......but it was a solid team effort. 

The pregame video on the screen, was work the price of admission. 

Anyways, we had great fun, and I had absolutely no complaints of our team.

I'm really glad you got to take in a (good) game!

It's costly for sure....but the memories last a lifetime. I agree re the pregame stuff....it's super entertaining. The overall game day experience is what I take in....from the view as you head to the game, to the buzz as you enter the building....etc.

Super happy for you to have that experience.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Can't resist:

If a thing's worth saying it's worth saying twice 

but for me the takeaway was after the post-Suter scrum, when McD wanted to get involved, and Huggy Bear pulled him off the pile and said, Captain to Captain, "Come on, Connor, this isn't you.  Show some leadership"

(I hypothesize - I can't really read lips)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Hi All

Just arrived back in Prince Rupert from Vancouver........took in the Oilers/Canucks game. 20 to 2 shots on goal and the Oiler fans were very loud, But we rallied the boys, and the came back with a vengeance. We had alot of fun! I would say, with plane tickets, hotel rooms, meals, and booze, we probably spent $3000 between the 3 of us. Maybe a little more, as the boys stayed out a little later than the old geezer (me)

But anyways, as the game proceeded, it was painfully obvious, that the Oilers lack a puck moving defenseman. And the more our captain took over the game, the more the Oiler fans jumped off the bridge. 

Great Game, with Hughes and Demko leading the way. We really noticed hoglander and Joshua out there in their limited time.......but it was a solid team effort. 

Sounds awesome - glad you got this game, it ain't cheap.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Have some coffee my friend. (Either that or I need coffee) because the game is tomorrow at 4pm.

But it's great to actually look forward to games, instead dreading games. So keep up the anticipation.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule

But the weekend is back to backs!

39 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The advantage of coaches like Tocc and Pat Quinn are they played the game. They have a better sense on how to speak to players and get the best of them. Not sure what happened. But it sounds like Rick had a talk with Myers. Whatever was said, either it was a vote of confidence. Or maybe Foote told him to focus, work your strengths, don't chase the play, just do the best you can on the assignment. Don't try to do the other players work as well as your own. because the past few games. Myers looks almost like a different defenceman. He's smarter, more aware, more focused. Even just letting the goalies, goalie. He will probably never live up to the $6 million paycheque. But at least he can prove to be an effective D-man. That alone the coaching staff has to get massive kudos.

Not sure I agree.....virtually every head coach was a player.

Boudreau, Green, Vigneault, Crow.....all former players. Even Willie D and Torts were college / Euro league players. The only non players off the top of my head were Renney and Keenan....:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not sure I agree.....virtually every head coach was a player.

Boudreau, Green, Vigneault, Crow.....all former players. Even Willie D and Torts were college / Euro league players. The only non players off the top of my head were Renney and Keenan....:classic_unsure:

Played the game at a higher compete level? Or maybe Rick and Pat just had better people and motivational skills, and knew how to get through to players.

9 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

What used to bug me about 'The Big Irishman' was that he would wait until the last moment to call a timeout.  Then they'd huddle up and he would  lower his glasses on his nose and look over them and tell them what to do.  And it almost always worked.  But he'd wait til the last minute many, many times.  Still, he's my all time favorite coach.  

Tocchet has really impressed me so far, and it looks like he is building for long-term success.

From PA and his AGMs, the scouting and development teams, a platoon of coaches, trainers, and the Sedins and Higgins and even Coach Mike "Yep" the whole thing is working like a first-class business organization.

I really wasn't sure Francisco was capable of hiring a proper president and I wasn't sure if Jim Rutherford could still handle the workload and the pressure.  I think the jury may still be out on both of them, but so far, JR has done a wonderful job and is even starting to loosen the reins a bit on Patrik Allvin (I speculate). 

Well said. It looks like we finally have the right personnel at every level of the organization. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Played the game at a higher compete level? Or maybe Rick and Pat just had better people and motivational skills, and knew how to get through to players.

Scotty Bowman only played up to Junior. 

7 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Hi All

Good stuff!

I'm living it through your report, thanks.

No, on to the important stuff.

How's the fishing up there in Rupert?

Was great last time I was there.

Time for another of Rupert's unpopular takes.....

I don't share everyone's disdain for McDavid. Yes, he lost his cool and I was experiencing as much schadenfreude as anyone. That being said, I don't think the characterizations of him as a person that are being put forth ITT are particularly accurate.

His team is off to an almost historic poor start and he hasn't scored in forever. When you're the best player in the world (and he is the best player in the world) that is going to lead to a lot of frustration. Imagine being on that kind of streak, coming out and dominating the first period, only to finish it trailing 3-1.

The surprise for me would have been if he hadn't lost his cool.

Pretty much everything that is being said about McDavid in the past couple of days is exactly how people used to describe Sid. Some still do. (especially in Philly)

I'm enjoying the Canucks success and I'm also enjoying the lack of success that both Alberta teams are experiencing right now, but I'm not getting carried away with my criticism of McDavid, just because he lost his cool. It happens.....and if I were an Oiler fan, I'd rather have a captain that gives AF.....

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Better than who?

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1