[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dunno, I'd take prime Crosby-Malkin over prime McBaby-Dri every time. 

That's a no-brainer. 

Out of all four, Crosby is the most complete player who somehow manages to win Championships. 

McDiver may outpoint Sid in the end, but let's see how many Cups and Gold Medal games he's part of. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Or the few fans that saw how bad Benning was as GM.

I've said all along that a GM isn't a scout.

I think Allvin proved me right.

You still going on about Bennings treatment of Dahlen? I hope not, cause if you think JR/PA would have treated him better, I think you'll be mistaken...

If anything JR/PA are far more business like, and would dump anyone thy think doesn't fit in, regardless of ability, friendships etc...

Benning had far less to do with, and as bad as his pro-scouting team did, the nucleus of the team we now have were all drafted or acquired by Benning bar Mike, Kuz, Hronek.... 

Benning made a lot of mistakes, but it was a bit like giving somebody a fork to eat soup... 

There are still lot of people, who think Mike Gillis was a bad GM despite getting us to within a game of winning the cup... 

They all have good sides as well as bad sides...

Do I think Benning could have done, what JR/PA has done in this short span of time? No I don't, but don't need to kick a man laying down.

I think Benning could have done a lot better, had he had a Jim Rutherford to help him... 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

Different phases of the organization.  Benning inherited an absolute mess from Gillis and had to rebuild the org with his hands tied behind his back.  Allvin is able to do what he's doing precisely because Benning did what he did.

It's very very similar to tk the transition between Nonis and Gillis.  After nonis was fired all people could talk about was how horrible he was.  Then, after some time passed, they could see how he set gillis up to succeed.  I think the same will happen here.

Nonis is the last competent GM the team has had.  The guy got fired because he wouldn't make a bad trade that would have dismantled the team's chances before it became a legit Cup contender.

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It was a tough decision, but trading Bo was a fantastic decision......not just to get Hronek, but to also change the identity of the team and to reduce redundancy.  Bo was a good player but I never liked his leadership.....not a knock on him but he was in a tough place to have to take on that role when he did.  Turning a page is a fantastic thing and hopefully for him too.

Personally, I thought the Bo trade at the time was fantastic.  Imo, it was a much needed change as you said.

Compared to Crosby, IMO, McDavid is faster, maybe even has better hands and shot, but Crosby is the better all-around player/team mate/captain, etc. 

Sharks are on a 1-game winning streak 😆 Can they make it two against the Oil? I would love that so much. 

Canucks are on to OTT, TOR and MTL. What's the record coming home?  My guess is 2-0-1.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

C'mon! Don't you see the leadership on display? One of the greatest moments in Sutter's time as a Canuck. Holland was an idiot for letting him go.

Honestly?

I see a player more intent on begging the official for sympathy than one bracing himself for impact. 
I’ll concede it’s a single moment in the play however it seems to tell a story. 
It’s a great photograph. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Just bad excuses for Benning.

Benning didn’t have the mind set to be a GM.

If Allvin(and JR) taken over after Gillis we had not got the drama queen stories around Benning and not the ”blame Gillis”-fans that have littered the CDC forum.

They had got the organisation right. Make sure that Uticas and Canucks coaches were on the same page. And definately not hiring Green and sacked the coach at Utica as soon as they were reports of mishandling of prospects. This is a multlmillion dollar corporation. Garbage gets tossed away asap. As Benning was more familiar with garbage he didn’t get rid of it when things were bad.

Allvin had got the support players in right away. Not complaining about the hands tied behind his back.

Benning actually tied Allvins hands behind his back with OEL and other bad contracts.

Did that stop Allvin? 
Allvin got a top RHD very quick because he knew what to do.

Did Benning seems to do that? 
Benning got Miller but Miller could be a pest on his own team until Tocchet came in and commanded respect.

So now we have a team. Not some disjointed parts that click some times but a few injuries and it went sour.

Now we even have a lot of players that is backup. All this has Allvin done in less than two seasons.

I truly believe that this team can win even if two of our core players is missing because the support players and Tocchets system is so good.

You do not understand nuance and context, I get it.

Benning made a lot of missteps in his last couple of years and he paid the price for it.  I said, then, that he was probably not going to be the one to see his work come to fruition, much the way Burke/Nonis didn't.......that's often how it goes in professional sports management.

Full credit to Allvon for building on the foundation that Benning built, butake no mistake, the foundation of the current team is Bennings work 

• Cheers 1

The Canucks have scored more goals than any other team in the NHL.  I’m old enough to remember when people were saying that the Canucks under Tocchet wouldn’t be able to score goals because of his defensive systems.  

It’s nice to know that you can play with a defensive structure and at the same time lead the league in goals as well…

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK now we need to get someone to drag out the pink and blue stats graphs 😁

a 36 year old Crosby is doing better to start this year, thats what. 

Haha, oh gawd no ... not the pink and blue charts that no one can explain what they mean

Screaming The Muppets GIF  noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 😁

I don't think he's great I just remember watching some games of theirs and when he backchecks obviously he's faster than everyone so he ends up being pretty effective. Especially the playoffs when he was putting in 120% effort he was noticeably good there, and I was surprised at how tough he can be for a skinny wimp.

Having said that I agree he's not the leader Sid is. Sid was better at it then McD when he was younger but he also learned and improved a lot as he got more experience. I would imagine McDougall does the same.

Sid is doing better I guess, haven't even checked to be honest but I think the safe money is still on McDavid re-asserting his dominance as the season progresses. He and the Oilers made the mistake of playing him while he's been injured. He should have missed the Winter Classic and healed up. Now they're on a rocky road season wise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

You do not understand nuance and context, I get it.

Benning made a lot of missteps in his last couple of years and he paid the price for it.  I said, then, that he was probably not going to be the one to see his work come to fruition, much the way Burke/Nonis didn't.......that's often how it goes in professional sports management.

Full credit to Allvon for building on the foundation that Benning built, butake no mistake, the foundation of the current team is Bennings work 

Neither of those two left HUGE liabilities for their successors to deal with (whether it be with the Sedin contracts & Luongo cap penalty from Gillis or the *BIG FAT ALBATROSS* in the form of OEL (and to a lesser extent Myers) from Benning; though Benning didn't have two "free" compliance buyouts like Gillis had.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sid is doing better I guess, haven't even checked to be honest but I think the safe money is still on McDavid re-asserting his dominance as the season progresses. He and the Oilers made the mistake of playing him while he's been injured. He should have missed the Winter Classic and healed up. Now they're on a rocky road season wise.

McCrybaby will score a ton of points in his career which will lead him to a place in the Hockey Hall of Fame.  But the team he's on will still be losers in the post-season (assuming they even make it there this season).

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Time for another of Rupert's unpopular takes.....

I don't share everyone's disdain for McDavid. Yes, he lost his cool and I was experiencing as much schadenfreude as anyone. That being said, I don't think the characterizations of him as a person that are being put forth ITT are particularly accurate.

His team is off to an almost historic poor start and he hasn't scored in forever. When you're the best player in the world (and he is the best player in the world) that is going to lead to a lot of frustration. Imagine being on that kind of streak, coming out and dominating the first period, only to finish it trailing 3-1.

The surprise for me would have been if he hadn't lost his cool.

Pretty much everything that is being said about McDavid in the past couple of days is exactly how people used to describe Sid. Some still do. (especially in Philly)

I'm enjoying the Canucks success and I'm also enjoying the lack of success that both Alberta teams are experiencing right now, but I'm not getting carried away with my criticism of McDavid, just because he lost his cool. It happens.....and if I were an Oiler fan, I'd rather have a captain that gives AF.....

Better than who?

Don't think anyone doubt McDs ability...

When you play the best player and get the upper hand, convincingly, you should enjoy it and the banter that comes along... part and parcel of fandom.

Just ask the Sedins..... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I'm really glad you got to take in a (good) game!

It's costly for sure....but the memories last a lifetime. I agree re the pregame stuff....it's super entertaining. The overall game day experience is what I take in....from the view as you head to the game, to the buzz as you enter the building....etc.

Super happy for you to have that experience.

Thanks Deb

We were 3 row in the upper tier................incredible seats.....not sure I would buy much lower......maybe 1st row, along the railing upper tier.

We sure could not complain!

LOL.....the Sharks Club before the game was fun.............I booed all the Oiler fans as they came in the door! Good times!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Personally, I thought the Bo trade at the time was fantastic.  Imo, it was a much needed change as you said.

had they not made the Hronek deal, the Horvat deal would not have been good, imo.  It was the Hronek move that made it a win

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

Good stuff!

I'm living it through your report, thanks.

No, on to the important stuff.

How's the fishing up there in Rupert?

Was great last time I was there.

I love it here.....still trying to adjust to a different life style, but it is great. Good neighbors, plenty of room. I had 2 deer fighting in my back yard for 2 hours the other day......I don't have the boat yet, but I will!

Cheers!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Canucks have scored more goals than any other team in the NHL.  I’m old enough to remember when people were saying that the Canucks under Tocchet wouldn’t be able to score goals because of his defensive systems.  

It’s nice to know that you can play with a defensive structure and at the same time lead the league in goals as well…

Great defence leads to offence. That's how championships are won.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Neither of those two left HUGE liabilities for their successors to deal with (whether it be with the Sedin contracts & Luongo cap penalty from Gillis or the *BIG FAT ALBATROSS* in the form of OEL (and to a lesser extent Myers) from Benning; though Benning didn't have two "free" compliance buyouts like Gillis had.

The OEL buyout is completely on Allvin.  Under a good defensive system, he's showing he's still the player he was.  Allvin could have waited even a year and had a far, far better outcome......whether it was a buyout, trade etc.

The issues with guys like Myers was on BB's complete lack of a defensive system.  However, hiring BB is absolutely on JB

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

McCrybaby will score a ton of points in his career which will lead him to a place in the Hockey Hall of Fame.  But the team he's on will still be losers in the post-season (assuming they even make it there this season).

I wouldn't bet on it remaining that way his entire career though. If you recall Sid was known as a whiny bitch who didn't play much D early in his career as well. Players of that skill level generally figure it out and succeed in the end using the same drive that produced their insane skillset. It doesn't help that in his 9 years or whatever it is management hasn't managed to put anywhere near the team out there that Pitt did.