[PGT] Coilers at Canucks

Johnny

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I dunno.....from the other responses I've gotten, it seems like a lot of people do....:classic_unsure:

I think reading the posts you are all talking past one another...

McD is an amazing player, and as such will be vilified at any opportunity.

However, he is not the strongest defensive player, as several has mentioned. Sid is probably still the best all round player in the league and McKinnon has also shown himself to be good.

It would be the same as saying Capitals no. 8,  isn't a world star, cause he only scores goals...

Oilers have 2 superstars in McD and Drai, but until they start to improve their two way play, or the players around them get better, they'll struggle to win the Cup...

McD's biggest issue just now, is, he doesn't carry his team, when they are floating/struggling. Or maybe he does carry them, but can't at the moment... 

If he stopped all his complaining to the refs none stop, he'd be respected more. Just now its too much fun taking the Micky, because he always complains...

Things like his interview after their 8-1 dropping, where he was moaning in the press about changing goalie, and putting out their 2nd best PP etc...

• ThereItIs 2

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

look at it this way, sometimes the hype is wrong, or very slanted. Karlsson getting the Norris over Fox, e.g., was ridiculous. Karlsson cheated all year to hit an offence target and bled points against. Is that the best d-man? 

I'm thinking that Jeff Jackson may have a burner account on the site. 😆

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Couple of main things imo - Bo was C in name only, I don't think he really led the team in the room. The other was the defensive style, he didn't trust them to play the way Tocc does. Everything was fall back and let Demko handle shots from the outside, it wore them down. 

That's a ridiculous assertion

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

That was when it started falling apart with Green, no question.  Up until that point, they were progressing nicely, including the bubble playoff run.  Looking back, I still don't understand why the wheels came off so spectacularly, but he lost that room in a hurry.

could definitely have been nothing, but I distinctly remember a weird situation during Green's last pre-season in vancouver.

I'm almost certain it was the first intermission of the first preseason game because it was a game being streamed online instead of televised where the camera feeds stay live in the building where normally it would go to tv timeout. anyway. it was maybe halfway through the intermission, and bo came back up the tunnel and sat by himself on/near the bench. shortly after, Pearse (if memory serves), came out and seemingly checked on him before going back, and then demmer did the same. 

I thought to myself, "why is the captain of the team sitting by himself on the bench during the intermission instead of doing what he's supposed to with his teammates?" it struck me as very off. 

up to that point, preseason had seemed positive. everything went rapidly downhill after. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

could definitely have been nothing, but I distinctly remember a weird situation during Green's last pre-season in vancouver.

I'm almost certain it was the first intermission of the first preseason game because it was a game being streamed online instead of televised where the camera feeds stay live in the building where normally it would go to tv timeout. anyway. it was maybe halfway through the intermission, and bo came back up the tunnel and sat by himself on/near the bench. shortly after, Pearse (if memory serves), came out and seemingly checked on him before going back, and then demmer did the same. 

I thought to myself, "why is the captain of the team sitting by himself on the bench during the intermission instead of doing what he's supposed to with his teammates?" it struck me as very off. 

up to that point, preseason had seemed positive. everything went rapidly downhill after. 

Cheers, never knew... good observation/ memory 🙂

Definitely not something you'd expect from your Captain.... 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

look at it this way, sometimes the hype is wrong, or very slanted. Karlsson getting the Norris over Fox, e.g., was ridiculous. Karlsson cheated all year to hit an offence target and bled points against. Is that the best d-man? 

I'm not sure what Karlsson has to do with anything. I thought we already agreed to disagree about this.

I absolutely believe that McDavid is the best player in the world.....Crosby and McKinnon included. You believe otherwise. You're not going to convince me that his current level of play is the norm while the rest of his career is the outlier, so there isn't much point in continuing this debate.

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I think reading the posts you are all talking past one another...

McD is an amazing player, and as such will be vilified at any opportunity.

However, he is not the strongest defensive player, as several has mentioned. Sid is probably still the best all round player in the league and McKinnon has also shown himself to be good.

It would be the same as saying Capitals no. 8,  isn't a world star, cause he only scores goals...

Oilers have 2 superstars in McD and Drai, but until they start to improve their two way play, or the players around them get better, they'll struggle to win the Cup...

McD's biggest issue just now, is, he doesn't carry his team, when they are floating/struggling. Or maybe he does carry them, but can't at the moment... 

If he stopped all his complaining to the refs none stop, he'd be respected more. Just now its too much fun taking the Micky, because he always complains...

Things like his interview after their 8-1 dropping, where he was moaning in the press about changing goalie, and putting out their 2nd best PP etc...

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.

I think many posters here are letting their personal dislike of McDavid seep into their opinions. I understand that you (and others) might not agree with that assessment, but as I said when I made my original post on the subject, it isn't going to be a popular take.

I think many people are looking at the current state of the Oilers and putting that on McDavid's shoulders, but he's playing through an injury and his GM hasn't managed to get him an NHL caliber goalkeeper. I'd be frustrated too....

In any event, we're just going over the same talking points here and hijacking the thread. Agree to disagree and move on.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers, never knew... good observation/ memory 🙂

Definitely not something you'd expect from your Captain.... 

I remember that as well and things went downhill from there.

No one will ever convince me that there wasn't a coup, led by Miller in that room.  One that, ultimately, got Green fired, Benning fired and Bo traded........let's hope Petey isn't a casualty of that as well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Or it's his new path. Injuries and wear catch up to all these guys eventually.

I just disagree with calling him the best player right now. In some areas for sure. Not as a complete player or leader tho.

Yeah it's subjective for sure, depending on what you value but it's pretty hard to argue he's not right close at the top and his skill and speed combo is probably next to no one. 

Highly doubt it's a new path either. a player of his stature doesn't just wither up and die at 26 after the start to his career so far.

So who would your top 5 be?

Spoiler

My top 10 off the top of my head without getting all in depth

McDavid

Hughes

Petterson

Eichel

Kucherov

Mackinnon

Matthews

Draisaitl

Pasternak

Hedman/Makar/Hughes

Something like that anyway

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah it's subjective for sure, depending on what you value but it's pretty hard to argue he's not right close at the top and his skill and speed combo is probably next to no one. 

Highly doubt it's a new path either. a player of his stature doesn't just wither up and die at 26 after the start to his career so far.

Reveal hidden contents

McDavid

Hughes

Petterson

Eichel

Kucherov

Mackinnon

Matthews

Draisaitl

Pasternak

Hedman/Makar/Hughes

I don't think's much subjective about it, to be honest.  There's McD and then there's everyone else.

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

I remember that as well and things went downhill from there.

No one will ever convince me that there wasn't a coup, led by Miller in that room.  One that, ultimately, got Green fired, Benning fired and Bo traded........let's hope Petey isn't a casualty of that as well.

What did Miller do to you? Did he rob your lunch money?

46 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.

I think many posters here are letting their personal dislike of McDavid seep into their opinions. I understand that you (and others) might not agree with that assessment, but as I said when I made my original post on the subject, it isn't going to be a popular take.

I think many people are looking at the current state of the Oilers and putting that on McDavid's shoulders, but he's playing through an injury and his GM hasn't managed to get him an NHL caliber goalkeeper. I'd be frustrated too....

In any event, we're just going over the same talking points here and hijacking the thread. Agree to disagree and move on.

If you look at the comments regarding the discussion it looks very much like opposing (us) fans trying hard to revel in a bad run of form for their team. Absolutely does make a difference that he hasn't been surrounded by better players but running McDavid down as a player really doesn't jive with common sense imo.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hide contents

McDavid

Hughes

Petterson

Eichel

Kucherov

Mackinnon

Matthews

Draisaitl

Pasternak

Hedman/Makar/Hughes

Hard to argue with the list. I think we'd have to break it down situationally. You could re-rank it a few ways.

• Cheers 1