I Know It's Early Still But ....

HKSR

• 3 weeks later...

Time to probably reset expectations. This should be a playoff team. With the start we've had and ability to avoid losing streaks we should make the postseason. That's a surprising but solid achievement.

As for all time best, no. Not close to 2010-11. More like the earlier years of that team. That team got break outs but had to learn in the postseason. Feels unfair to saddle it.

So many fans don't buy the optimism due to the past but i think its expectations and fun. We keep overhyping the team (weak pp, big lines not being consistent, hughes off his game lately) but also under-hyping them (no fall aparts, lower lines seem more solid, defence better). Less expectations work, so trying to cheer on and see. I do hope kuzzy can score, either here or elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Still too early to get lost in dreams. Many January celebrations fizzle in May (like Boston's delicious sadness last year).

Jumbo line looks great. Blueger line is our superb grind line and did well last game even without scoring. Defensive core is getting better as is demko who frustrates the opposition with incredible saves.

If the forecheck can hold up and tocchet can put kuz's skill over his forecheck desire then this team will grow and get better. Perhaps tocchet is realizing that this is an incredible offensive team, has been since bruce came and he just needs to coach the defence, pk (and find someone else to coach powerplay) and let the team be able to be themselves. Good lesson in adaptability, we shall see.

On 12/22/2023 at 8:05 AM, OldFaithfulcap said:

Time to probably reset expectations. This should be a playoff team. With the start we've had and ability to avoid losing streaks we should make the postseason. That's a surprising but solid achievement.

As for all time best, no. Not close to 2010-11. More like the earlier years of that team. That team got break outs but had to learn in the postseason. Feels unfair to saddle it.

So many fans don't buy the optimism due to the past but i think its expectations and fun. We keep overhyping the team (weak pp, big lines not being consistent, hughes off his game lately) but also under-hyping them (no fall aparts, lower lines seem more solid, defence better). Less expectations work, so trying to cheer on and see. I do hope kuzzy can score, either here or elsewhere.

Do you feel a little more confident now?    

On 12/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, OldFaithfulcap said:

I know its the past now but I hadn't heard how actually messed up bruce's firing was. Haven't heard Bruce talk this much myself.

It still just was badly done. Not saying it shouldn't have happened but comically bad.

So Bruce wants one more crack at it - then he's going to "destroy".    At least the fans and players appreciated him, and still love that we have the "There it is" emoji.  

• Cheers 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:20 PM, HKSR said:

...where are all of you that were saying we are a good 4 years away from being relevant?  Some even going as far as saying we need to blow up this core? 

Come on guys.  You know who you are.  Stand up and eat some yummy crow lol

That’s me. 
newsflash I’m not a GM. I’m a horrible person who oozes negativity. 

furthermore, we really don’t know what we have until the playoffs. 
Are we the Baby Hawks?
Or The Maple Flames? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

That’s me. 
newsflash I’m not a GM. I’m a horrible person who oozes negativity. 

furthermore, we really don’t know what we have until the playoffs. 
Are we the Baby Hawks?
Or The Maple Flames? 

We are the Swedish Penguins motherf***er.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Dear Canucks diary (sorry but this thread has become it for me).

I'm still sad about kuzzy, a part of me will always be sad about bruce's exit. But we're number one and it's been that way for a while. Whenever one line tapers off, one of the other lines seems to step up and score and the defence and goaltending is more solid than we've seen since that last season before the dumpster.

We need to talk about Rick. He's got his flaws, the powerplay's been a rollercoaster and kuzzy again, but he's made this team hard to beat while not squeezing the life out of the offence. I don't know if this will last more than a year but no point worrying about that, just best to hope things go right this year and we have that long awaited ending even if its more Shrek than Prince Charming.

I was definitely in the 2-3 year range as far as being a contender...but as far as relevant, well the Canucks are always relevant to me anyways. As goes the team, so goes my mood. I've been pretty angry for too long now...I'm much happier now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like the team, they surprised me but it hasn't been a fluke. You look back and there's adversity and growth. 

Yes we lack playoff experience but we lack the burden of expectations. Everything we've done is a welcome surprise and we keep getting better, adding lines and scoring as the team gels.

I like our team, screw 'em, let's win it all. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...