[Waivers] Jack Campbell

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

How the Oilers could potentially solve their glaring goaltending problem

Blues: The Oilers seem like they’d be lured into Jordan Binnington’s hot start. You may have heard that Holland covets players with Stanley Cups on their resume, sometimes to his detriment.

McDavid and Binnington losing their tempers together would be a lot of fun.

• Haha 1

Don’t have a particular source yet but have seen a lot chatter that Edm’s primary goalie target is Jordan Binnington and that there’s been a fair amount of discussion between the two teams already. 

Edited by RWJC

Oilers Interested In Jordan Binnington, Insider Claims

November 9, 2023 by Jesse Courville-Lynch

The Edmonton Oilers have seemingly admitted to the fact they’ve had bad goaltending by assigning Jack Campbell to the Bakersfield Condors of the American Hockey League (AHL) after a tough start to his 2023-24 campaign. The team knows they need to fix their game fast before it gets way out of hand, and it seems they have been gauging the market on potential fits for their team.

One name that has now been connected to the Oilers is St. Louis Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington. According to Reid Wilkins with 630 Ched and Inside Sports, Binnington is someone the Oilers are interested in and have checked in on. With a tandem of Stuart Skinner and Calvin Pickard likely leading the Oilers for the foreseeable future, it’s not hard to understand why they’ve decided to check around and see who’s available in net.

Wilkins isn’t the only insider who’s connected Binnington to the Oilers, as Mark Spector has doubled down on the Oilers’ interest in the Blues goaltender while on the Kevin Karius podcast. While Binnington’s attitude issues may be something that turns fans away from being just as interested in him as the team is, he is an extremely skilled goaltender who has the resume to be able to help lead the Oilers to the playoffs. Binnington’s cap hit may cause issues as far as a trade goes, but the Oilers have the contracts to even out the money. 

link to rest of article:

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-interested-jordan-binnington-insider-claims/

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Oilers Interested In Jordan Binnington, Insider Claims

November 9, 2023 by Jesse Courville-Lynch

The Edmonton Oilers have seemingly admitted to the fact they’ve had bad goaltending by assigning Jack Campbell to the Bakersfield Condors of the American Hockey League (AHL) after a tough start to his 2023-24 campaign. The team knows they need to fix their game fast before it gets way out of hand, and it seems they have been gauging the market on potential fits for their team.

One name that has now been connected to the Oilers is St. Louis Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington. According to Reid Wilkins with 630 Ched and Inside Sports, Binnington is someone the Oilers are interested in and have checked in on. With a tandem of Stuart Skinner and Calvin Pickard likely leading the Oilers for the foreseeable future, it’s not hard to understand why they’ve decided to check around and see who’s available in net.

Wilkins isn’t the only insider who’s connected Binnington to the Oilers, as Mark Spector has doubled down on the Oilers’ interest in the Blues goaltender while on the Kevin Karius podcast. While Binnington’s attitude issues may be something that turns fans away from being just as interested in him as the team is, he is an extremely skilled goaltender who has the resume to be able to help lead the Oilers to the playoffs. Binnington’s cap hit may cause issues as far as a trade goes, but the Oilers have the contracts to even out the money. 

link to rest of article:

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-interested-jordan-binnington-insider-claims/

I'd like that. It would be Mike Smith all over again. :classic_laugh:

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Not sure Binnington is the answer, not sure any goaltender is the answer until they place more emphasis on bolstering their defense. Not just in the form of D, but their bottom six as well. 

Binnington has been pretty average the past couple seasons, the rest of the Blues haven't been great either though so I'm reluctant to blame his stats entirely on his own play. 

With them winning again tonight they're officially over .500 though, gotta wonder what's in it for them if they were to swap Binnington for Campbell. 

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not sure Binnington is the answer, not sure any goaltender is the answer until they place more emphasis on bolstering their defense. Not just in the form of D, but their bottom six as well. 

Binnington has been pretty average the past couple seasons, the rest of the Blues haven't been great either though so I'm reluctant to blame his stats entirely on his own play. 

With them winning again tonight they're officially over .500 though, gotta wonder what's in it for them if they were to swap Binnington for Campbell. 

Dont think it would be for Campbell.

I think it would include EDM’s 1st, which they are openly shopping, and possibly Bouchard (due to cap hit and age demo as STL’s youngest regular Dman in rotation is Parayko and he’s 30!).

Not sure how EDM rebuild their D though because they’ll still be cap strapped. They are in trouble regardless. They’ll then likely have to move out a higher quality F like RNH  in exchange for a Dman and the cycle continues…

Edited by RWJC

20 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think it would include EDM’s 1st, which they are openly shopping, and possibly Bouchard (due to cap hit and age demo as STL’s youngest regular Dman in rotation is Parayko and he’s 30!).

Not sure how EDM rebuild their D though because they’ll still be cap strapped. They are in trouble regardless. They’ll then likely have to move out a higher quality F like RNH  in exchange for a Dman and the cycle continues…

I'd be surprised if they moved Bouchard, he strikes me as someone they should probably keep. Ekholm was a good add, but they could really use another top 4D, preferably one in the mold of a defensive D. If Tanev makes it to UFA I'd be surprised if they don't show interest, could have interest in Zadorov too. Nurse is overpaid but they'll have to live with that one. 

Problem is they'll need to make space, which involves moving either a winger or a tender. Could maybe try to move Ceci. 

Draisaitl has one year remaining on his deal, he's due for a big raise. McDavid has two more seasons and likely sets a new bar for the NHL's largest contract. Clock is ticking. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think it would include EDM’s 1st, which they are openly shopping, and possibly Bouchard (due to cap hit and age demo). Not sure how they rebuild their D though because they’ll still be cap strapped. They are in trouble regardless. They’ll then likely have to move out a higher quality F like RNH  in exchange for a Dman and the cycle continues…

if it did include Campbell though, I think the cost would still be enormous. 
Campbell, Holloway, Broberg, 1st for Binnington and a B or C level prospect. 
The makings are there for a major deal though between the two teams, and if played out right, could be quite beneficial for the Coil. Just hope that doesn’t come to fruition. 

Does Jack Campbell's Demotion Signal More Changes for the Edmonton Oilers?

After the Edmonton Oilers placed goaltender Jack Campbell on waivers on Tuesday, there's been even more speculation about what comes next for the team.

The Edmonton Oilers' 2-8-1 start to this season prompted calls for change among the local media.

We didn't have to wait long for the first big move to happen, as the Oilers placed goaltender Jack Campbell on waivers Tuesday and sent him to their AHL affiliate in Bakersfield the following day. That decision prompted plenty of media conjecture over what else the Oilers could attempt to salvage their season before it's too late.

TSN's Chris Johnston noted that sending down Campbell and recalling the more affordable Calvin Pickard could allow the Oilers to accrue more cap space for other moves later in the season. His colleague Pierre LeBrun pointed out they would have to overpay for a goalie upgrade in the trade market. It would also mean trying to move Campbell and his $5-million annual cap hit in a separate deal.

Meanwhile, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman cited rumors linking the Oilers to St. Louis Blues netminder Jordan Binnington. He also thinks they've spoken to the Montreal Canadiens about Jake Allen. Friedman mentioned the Nashville Predators' Juuse Saros but believes the asking price would be too high for the Oilers.

In his column with The Athletic, LeBrun wondered what effect missing the playoffs might have on the Oilers' efforts to sign Leon Draisaitl to a contract extension next summer. He's signed through 2024-25 with an annual cap hit of $8.5 million.

Speaking of Draisaitl, ESPN's John Buccigross recently proposed the Oilers bundle the former Hart Trophy winner with Warren Foegele and ship them to the Boston Bruins for a multi-player return with Vezina Trophy winner Linus Ullmark as the centerpiece. However, Boston Hockey Now's Jimmy Murphy cited sources claiming the Oilers are likely on Ullmark's 16-team no-trade list.

https://apple.news/AV1qSLRVVQo2cQ2gHYhsi3g

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be surprised if they moved Bouchard, he strikes me as someone they should probably keep. Ekholm was a good add, but they could really use another top 4D, preferably one in the mold of a defensive D. If Tanev makes it to UFA I'd be surprised if they don't show interest, could have interest in Zadorov too. Nurse is overpaid but they'll have to live with that one. 

Problem is they'll need to make space, which involves moving either a winger or a tender. Could maybe try to move Ceci. 

Draisaitl has one year remaining on his deal, he's due for a big raise. McDavid has two more seasons and likely sets a new bar for the NHL's largest contract. Clock is ticking. 

There has been a lot of talk about the Coil moving away from solely offensive minded Dmen. Barrie, now Bouchard, may provide valuable offense, but they create major weaknesses defensively that the current corps can’t cover for and it’s badly exposing the team.
Bouchard may just become a casualty in trying to redefine their back 6. 

I could envision a major package deal where the Coil try to acquire both Binnington and Parayko as a  perceived answer to current woes. 

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

There has been a lot of talk about the Coil moving away from solely offensive minded Dmen. Barrie, now Bouchard, may provide valuable offense, but they create major weaknesses defensively that the current corps can’t cover for and it’s badly exposing the team.
Bouchard may just become a casualty in trying to redefine their back 6. 

I could envision a major package deal where the Coil try to acquire both Binnington and Parayko as a  perceived answer to current woes. 

I understand potentially moving Bouchard for a more two-way D of similar age, but I don't necessarily believe Parayko would be the answer. I'm not convinced he'd waive his NTC for the Oil either. 

I think the Oil need to shift their approach, they aren't going to score their way to a championship with questionable defense and goaltending. If things don't change I'm not sure McDavid will extend in Edmonton. I'm not even certain Draisaitl will. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I understand potentially moving Bouchard for a more two-way D of similar age, but I don't necessarily believe Parayko would be the answer. I'm not convinced he'd waive his NTC for the Oil either. 

I think the Oil need to shift their approach, they aren't going to score their way to a championship with questionable defense and goaltending. If things don't change I'm not sure McDavid will extend in Edmonton. I'm not even certain Draisaitl will. 

I agree with you, just been hearing that the talks between the two teams have potentially been about larger package deals, and although Parayko isn’t the same player he once was, he’d fill out the Coil top 4 quite well alongside Nurse and Ekholm. A couple pundits speculating that Parayko is also a target (like you said though - wouldnt matter if he declined due to NMTC). And the consensus seems to be RNH going out in any larger deal. 

Will be interesting to see what transpires. Gerard Gallant expected to be hired as next coach if there is a firing, and will be that much more pressure on Holland not just to accommodate what a new coach deems as needs for his roster, but what other drastic measures will be taken to try to appease the pressure from McDavid and Draisaitl to win now. Tough times ahead for Holland. 

Edited by RWJC

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

I agree with you, just been hearing that the talks between the two teams have potentially been about larger package deals, and although Parayko isn’t the same player he once was, he’d fill out the Coil top 4 quite well alongside Nurse and Ekholm. A couple pundits speculating that Parayko is also a target (like you said though - wouldnt matter if he declined due to NMTC). And the consensus seems to be RNH going out in any larger deal. 

Will be interesting to see what transpires. Gerard Gallant expected to be hired as next coach if there is a firing, and will be that much more pressure on Holland not just to accommodate what a new coach deems as needs for his roster, but what other drastic measures will be taken to try to appease the pressure from McDavid and Draisaitl to win now. Tough times ahead for Holland. 

Blues are in a bit of a weird place where they were sellers last season but still probably have a good enough roster to be competitive. For whatever reason it wasn't working last season, but they're a little over .500 thus far. The first round picks they wound up getting for Tarasenko and O'Reilly were late but three picks in the first round should really bolster their prospect pool. They walked out of the first round with a couple forwards in Dvorsky (10) and Stenberg (25) before taking a D in Lindstein (29). 

They're fourth in the Central with a 6-5-1 record, not blowing anyone away by any means but they're still in the mix. 8th in the West right now, tied with Arizona and Seattle but with games in hand. Minny is a point behind them. If Nashville keeps losing they could be out of it early, Chicago should slide at some point. Whether Anaheim can keep it up is anyone's guess, they sit 7th right now. Calgary could get back into it if they put together a winning streak, they have 9 points. Edmonton sits at the bottom with San Jose, it may be to late at this point. If it's not, it will be soon if they keep losing, clock is ticking for the Oil. 

It'd be interesting if the Blues sold at this point, but the Oil need change now. Oil are 30th on the PK, their goals allowed is 31st, it's killing them. What's also killing them is their shooting percentage, which sits at 30th despite them being 1st in shots on goal. Usually they can outscore their defensive issues, but an abysmal team shooting percentage of 7.4% has been devastating to their competitive chances. This is in spite of their 9th ranked powerplay. You'd have to think that'd change eventually but it could be too late. 

The Canucks on the other hand have the top shooting percentage in the league at 16.1%, so we're probably due for some regression offensively. This is despite our being 27th in shots on goal, which means our shooting percentage is likely inflated by our 4th ranked powerplay and some opportunistic scoring. Take away our 10-1 and 8-1 beatdowns of abysmal defensive teams in San Jose and Edmonton and our goals for probably looks a lot more normal. I think some regression is inevitable, but we're also a better team than we were last season. 

Could see them firing Woodcroft if they feel a coach like Gallant might spark the team. Holland should probably be on outs if the Oil miss. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I don't think Bouchard is an issue.  Paired with Ekholm, they're a decent pairing.

Nurse seriously needs a better defensive RHD.  Ceci doesn't cut it.  Ceci should be a 3rd pairing guy.  The Oilers would be wise to go out and get a guy like Tanev for that 2nd pair with Nurse which would bump Ceci down to the 3rd pair with Kulak (which is a respectable 3rd pair).

Honestly, I think the Oilers are a defensive top 4 RHD and probably some trade-off of offence for defence in the forward group away from being a legitimate threat.

You wonder how much better off they would be with a Ryan O'Reilly and Chris Tanev in their lineup. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I don't think Bouchard is an issue.  Paired with Ekholm, they're a decent pairing.

Nurse seriously needs a better defensive RHD.  Ceci doesn't cut it.  Ceci should be a 3rd pairing guy.  The Oilers would be wise to go out and get a guy like Tanev for that 2nd pair with Nurse which would bump Ceci down to the 3rd pair with Kulak (which is a respectable 3rd pair).

Honestly, I think the Oilers are a defensive top 4 RHD and probably some trade-off of offence for defence in the forward group away from being a legitimate threat.

You wonder how much better off they would be with a Ryan O'Reilly and Chris Tanev in their lineup. 

Agreed, if the Oil can bring in even one defensive defenseman and pair them with Nurse they probably look much better. They also need either a two-way top six center or a defensive-minded 3C at the very least. Oilers are extremely top heavy, their scoring outside their top six has pretty much been non-existent thus far. If they're not scoring they need to at least be able to mitigate their goals against. 

Nuge should be good value on that contract, doubt he's moved. Problem is all of him, Kane, and Hyman have NMC's. That really hamstrings their flexibility. Not sure how the Oil are going to open up the cap space they'll need to address things. They may have to force a move with Campbell, paying to do so or paying to swap, and hope Skinner can be their guy going forward. 

If there's any indication that Draisaitl or McDavid don't want to stay we'll likely be looking at a full-on Oilers rebuild. Turning things around is key, because if Draisaitl doesn't want to extend I doubt McDavid will. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, RWJC said:

Does Jack Campbell's Demotion Signal More Changes for the Edmonton Oilers?

After the Edmonton Oilers placed goaltender Jack Campbell on waivers on Tuesday, there's been even more speculation about what comes next for the team.

The Edmonton Oilers' 2-8-1 start to this season prompted calls for change among the local media.

We didn't have to wait long for the first big move to happen, as the Oilers placed goaltender Jack Campbell on waivers Tuesday and sent him to their AHL affiliate in Bakersfield the following day. That decision prompted plenty of media conjecture over what else the Oilers could attempt to salvage their season before it's too late.

TSN's Chris Johnston noted that sending down Campbell and recalling the more affordable Calvin Pickard could allow the Oilers to accrue more cap space for other moves later in the season. His colleague Pierre LeBrun pointed out they would have to overpay for a goalie upgrade in the trade market. It would also mean trying to move Campbell and his $5-million annual cap hit in a separate deal.

Meanwhile, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman cited rumors linking the Oilers to St. Louis Blues netminder Jordan Binnington. He also thinks they've spoken to the Montreal Canadiens about Jake Allen. Friedman mentioned the Nashville Predators' Juuse Saros but believes the asking price would be too high for the Oilers.

In his column with The Athletic, LeBrun wondered what effect missing the playoffs might have on the Oilers' efforts to sign Leon Draisaitl to a contract extension next summer. He's signed through 2024-25 with an annual cap hit of $8.5 million.

Speaking of Draisaitl, ESPN's John Buccigross recently proposed the Oilers bundle the former Hart Trophy winner with Warren Foegele and ship them to the Boston Bruins for a multi-player return with Vezina Trophy winner Linus Ullmark as the centerpiece. However, Boston Hockey Now's Jimmy Murphy cited sources claiming the Oilers are likely on Ullmark's 16-team no-trade list.

https://apple.news/AV1qSLRVVQo2cQ2gHYhsi3g

I'd move Drai to Boston, but for Swayman and Carlo.  They're not going to give up Ulmark with the season they're having.  

Hire Galant and they could be right back in it.  Scoring was never their problem, we all know that.  

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, if the Oil can bring in even one defensive defenseman and pair them with Nurse they probably look much better. They also need either a two-way top six center or a defensive-minded 3C at the very least. Oilers are extremely top heavy, their scoring outside their top six has pretty much been non-existent thus far. If they're not scoring they need to at least be able to mitigate their goals against. 

Nuge should be good value on that contract, doubt he's moved. Problem is all of him, Kane, and Hyman have NMC's. That really hamstrings their flexibility. Not sure how the Oil are going to open up the cap space they'll need to address things. They may have to force a move with Campbell, paying to do so or paying to swap, and hope Skinner can be their guy going forward. 

If there's any indication that Draisaitl or McDavid don't want to stay we'll likely be looking at a full-on Oilers rebuild. Turning things around is key, because if Draisaitl doesn't want to extend I doubt McDavid will. 

1 minute ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I'd move Drai to Boston, but for Swayman and Carlo.  They're not going to give up Ulmark with the season they're having.  

Hire Galant and they could be right back in it.  Scoring was never their problem, we all know that.  

If I were Oilers GM, I'd pay to move out Campbell (picks/prospects).  It's obvious their window is now with McDavid and Draisatl. 

I'd also move RNH.  He's not really an ideal 3C.  He's more of a 2C, or maybe even 1C on some teams.  Spending 3M on a solid defensive 3C would save them $2M from RNH's contract, and then paying to move out Campbell would save another $5M. 

Campbell to whoever would take him for a 1st and Broberg

RNH++ to Calgary for Lindholm and Tanev

Then I'd say EDM looks much more dangerous overall.

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If I were Oilers GM, I'd pay to move out Campbell (picks/prospects).  It's obvious their window is now with McDavid and Draisatl. 

I'd also move RNH.  He's not really an ideal 3C.  He's more of a 2C, or maybe even 1C on some teams.  Spending 3M on a solid defensive 3C would save them $2M from RNH's contract, and then paying to move out Campbell would save another $5M. 

Campbell to whoever would take him for a 1st and Broberg

RNH++ to Calgary for Lindholm and Tanev

Then I'd say EDM looks much more dangerous overall.

EDMs response: “So what you’re really trying to say is that we need to acquire a scoring winger!?”

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Interesting. I like it but think BOS would have to add. That said, I imagine if you were to trade one of  McD and Drai, you’d be seriously downgrading the Coilers scoring capability and I don’t think their D would still be enough to protect Ullmark like he is to a degree in BOS.

I imagine it would result in further failure from the club and either of those top guys expecting to walk come UFA.  

• Cheers 1