[Waivers] Jack Campbell

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Which is a head scratcher since Holland built the Red Wings to be sustainable and competitive for 20+ years and most of that as cup contenders. 

Totally. I'm not so well versed on his tenure in Detroit, did he inherit a good team there or build it from the ground up?

3 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

Totally. I'm not so well versed on his tenure in Detroit, did he inherit a good team there or build it from the ground up?

He did inherit a cup winning team I believe, but he also was able to sustain that for another 20+ years. But he also drafted really well to sustain that 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

how many goaltenders have they gone though with this goaltender coach huh. 

doesn’t matter who’s in there terrible 

And the team defence is awful. 

Misery loves company so it’s good the Coilers have the lames. 

I sure hope the sharks get their first win against EDM that would just be priceless. 

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Not with that contract. I suspect this is a move made to get Campbell some steady playing time, maybe get his confidence back. Just run with Skinner in the meantime. Not a bad plan for a desperate club?

I could only fault Skinner on Suter's goal last night and even then i mean Suter pretty much walk down the middle untouched. 
You could blame the goalies or you could try to play Defense. 
Bouchard not being benched after a bad pinch then coasted back to Hoglander who scored.

This is all on Holland and the coaching staff. 

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Which is a head scratcher since Holland built the Red Wings to be sustainable and competitive for 20+ years and most of that as cup contenders. 

Exactly, cannot really find another GM during that whole era who was able to pull gems out of later round draft picks and continue to integrate the right pieces into the lineup year in and year out.

10 minutes ago, Mordekai said:

I could only fault Skinner on Suter's goal last night and even then i mean Suter pretty much walk down the middle untouched. 
You could blame the goalies or you could try to play Defense. 
Bouchard not being benched after a bad pinch then coasted back to Hoglander who scored.

This is all on Holland and the coaching staff. 

Completely agree. Their goalies aren't winning them games but their defense is making them look far worse than they are. We saw the same thing with our team last year where all of our goalies (even Demko) were below a .900 save percentage. Heck, Spencer Martin is rocking a .928 save percentage through 5 games with Columbus right now after a .871 with the Canucks last year. The whole Oilers team doesn't back check and gives up constant odd man rushes. They have also now clearly shaken the confidence of both goalies which doesn't help matters 

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Oiler D is just as much to blame ,.

when players like Garland and Hoglander can spin them into an angry tizzy in their own end , the wheels have fallen off .

Nurse Bouchard Desjardins and Elkholm take that kind of bait ,  there is no mental fortitude established.

Saw it also in McJesus and Draisatyl ,

they have not changed their own game as other teams  adapt to challenge their tendencies.

Its so very nice to see 🙂 

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Saw it also in McJesus and Draisatyl ,

they have not changed their own game as other teams  adapt to challenge their tendencies.

This. They have been real good together and I agree, teams are adjusting to them. Then, when they have been separated, the Oilers look even less threatening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

He did inherit a cup winning team I believe, but he also was able to sustain that for another 20+ years. But he also drafted really well to sustain that 

45 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Exactly, cannot really find another GM during that whole era who was able to pull gems out of later round draft picks and continue to integrate the right pieces into the lineup year in and year out.

You guys are oversimplifying and miscrediting the success of the Wings to Ken Holland.  Credit deservedly goes to both the aging stars of the cup-winning dynasty and one of the best scouts in hockey history, Håkan Andersson.  Much of the Red Wings' collapse since '08 is owed to the incompetence of Ken Holland.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You guys are oversimplifying and miscrediting the success of the Wings to Ken Holland.  Credit deservedly goes to both the aging stars of the cup-winning dynasty and one of the best scouts in hockey history, Håkan Andersson.  Much of the Red Wings' collapse since '08 is owed to the incompetence of Ken Holland.

I don't pretend it was a one man show in Holland, Andersson was a great scout, probably in the same ilk as Barry Fraser in Edmonton at the time of their dynasty and successful teams. But Holland was the GM on watch during their most successful time going all the way back to Jack Adams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I don't pretend it was a one man show in Holland, Andersson was a great scout, probably in the same ilk as Barry Fraser in Edmonton at the time of their dynasty and successful teams. But Holland was the GM on watch during their most successful time going all the way back to Jack Adams.

And he was also the GM for some of Detroit's worst years.  Best GM of the 2000s and one of the worst GMs of the 2010s.  Just watch the video and look at that painful list of brutal transactions.

20 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The thing you need to keep in mind though is that Detroit was a good team BEFORE Holland was GM. Detroit even had won a championship just before. When you have the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Shanahan, and Fedorov already on your team, you don't have to do much. It's a similar idea to Gillis and his time here where most of the pieces came beforehand.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying he did not make some good moves; he arguably did elongate Detroit's success for over a decade afterall; but we have to consider that Holland being the GM on watch in Detroit doesn't necessarily mean he would have been the reason for the success either.

Edited by The Lock