[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senatards Thursday Nov 9 @ 4pm PT / 7pm ET SNP/TSN5/RDS2/SN650

John.Tallhouse

21 hours ago, Cali Canuck said:

Re who should start looking at the rest of the month, this is what I'd do right now if I was the coach.  I'm not about the back to backs on 11/24 & 11/25.   I'm thinking about maybe going the game on 11/25 but I'll have to see ticket & hotel prices.

image.thumb.png.25fc600577e00bb7860556b4d2d34a22.png

I agree with all except Demko agains the Ducks and Kraken, and Desmith against Sharks both games

1 minute ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

He's useless so no

I'm always afraid of something like this for our smaller stars...but am more worried about guys like Nurse, Kane or Kadri than marginal 4th liners. I think we still need more enforcement and a better wolf pack mentality for cheap shots.

53 minutes ago, spook007 said:

My point was just that Linden was President of hockey operations.... If he felt, Benning didn't follow the laid out plan, it was Lindens job to stop him. 

As POH he is Bennings Boss... If Benning broke protocol and didn';t follow what was agreed, he should have been sacked at that point. Otherwise Linden was just a figurehead....

This is not about, whether I like Linden or not... Linden is always going to be a hero at this club for what he did as a player.

But if Benning really went against, what they had agreed upon, then he should have been sacked. It does suggest that Linden and Benning didn't see head to head, and obviously somebody had to pay the price, which likely was the reason Linden left.

Benning was running the entire operation almost on his own at the end, and that is simply not possible...  

Its like the captain of the ship explaining, he thought the mate was running the ship aground, but now he has made sure it won't happen again... That is all very good, but unfortunately there is now a hole in the bottom of the vessel. 

I'm sure the owners would say to the captain, he should have stopped the mate, before. he ran the ship aground... 

The mate may not be sacked, but it gives the taste of a rudderless ship, or at least a weak chain of command.

Hence I've always stated Linden should not have been POH in the first place, it was unfair to him and it was unfair to Benning. The two persons in the top should be totally aligned, and any disagreements should be kept behind closed doors....forever.

this smells of Aquaman interference here....big time

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Going to the game tonight!    Got out an old t-shirt ... 92/93... fitting that the team has the same vibes.     Sens arena has great sight lines.    And a homey feel.    Worth the drive and the overnight.   Haven't been this excited to watch a Canucks game live since EPs rookie season (live in MTL...stupid too many vowels and his accidental BS way out of the play) ... Got to watch JT Miller live, one of Greens last games, go through their entire team and score a goal.    Hope for a lot of that!    Also looking forward to the "go Canucks go!" crowd... usually 30-40 of them all together.  

image.jpg

I'll be there too

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nothing wrong with a little transparency.    A lot of fans were seriously disappointed in the way Liden was treated by ownership and management.   A deflector shield.   

Exactly... and it was a disgrace, to Linden, to Benning, to the fans... etc...

Its looks like he was put in a position to fail... not only that, it seems like there was a total disharmony, about how the club was going to be run... No way can a club be successful if the management team can't even agree amongst themselves...

Linden seemed like a lamb to the slaughter...

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Natalie Miller is super awesome. She's at the games with their kids..full Canucks gear. She's really bought into the team/city like JT has and that's awesome (FTR I like her every bit as much as I do him). I think JT leading the way with statements about wanting to be here, with this team, really go a long way. And his entire family buying in here as they have really makes a statement.

It's sad if those dynamics you speak of get in the way of things. Mean girls catty crap. So immature. 

Thing is though, this team doesn't likely "hang out" a lot aside from road trips, etc. But it is about showing maturity and we have some good family types who focus there (home) when they're away from the game. Solid. Not on SM a whole lot (which matters). Very low key out of the spotlight stuff.

One thing this organization has always done is behind the scenes stuff that includes wives/families and really helps connect them. Team building goes beyond just the team. 

Quinn coming from a good hockey family also really contributes to the "focus" that is where it should be...on the ice. Not this other crap.

Drama has no place in hockey...hate it.

Awesome post thanks Deb.

JR "manages up" and keeps ownership in check.

I hope we have people in place as competent to manage out to the extended families and help with personal concerns.

Cautionary tales of group behaviour are told by Jim Capaldi on his incredible 1975 album Short Cut Draw Blood.

e.g. Cut #6 Living on a Marble, lyric snip, "when everybody tries to get together, that's when the blood begins to boil".

Here's the title cut (I hope):

You know you are a great musician when you have Stevie Winwood on backing vocals, lol.

These guys must have had a gas in Jamaica v/v Island Records I assume.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Going to the game tonight!    Got out an old t-shirt ... 92/93... fitting that the team has the same vibes.     Sens arena has great sight lines.    And a homey feel.    Worth the drive and the overnight.   Haven't been this excited to watch a Canucks game live since EPs rookie season (live in MTL...stupid too many vowels and his accidental BS way out of the play) ... Got to watch JT Miller live, one of Greens last games, go through their entire team and score a goal.    Hope for a lot of that!    Also looking forward to the "go Canucks go!" crowd... usually 30-40 of them all together.  

image.jpg

Enjoy amigo and have a fab time... so flipping envious it hurts.... GCG

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see DeSmith against the Sens, Demko in for the prime time game against the Leafs, then DeSmith in again for the Habs.

Gives Demko a bit of an early breather in the season. Have to remember the guy has been susceptible to injury in recent years.

Yeah picking up Smitty was a great call, I was really hoping we had a legit back up in Martin but whatever, Smitty will do nicely until someone we develop is ready to take over. Pretty happy with Smitty so far, almost looks like a lesser Demko but not by much when he plays. Ty Ian Clark! We need to keep Clark here until he retires! If we let him go, that would be a HUGE mistake! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

What I’ve heard of Benning is that he blames others for his shortcomings.

This mean that if he feels threatened by Linden he talks shit about Linden to Aquilini.

Linden might have been superb but since Benning is so Trumplike it’s impossible to work alongside him and if you critisice him it goes south.

Maybe so...

Fact is, that when you have a management group of rookies, POH, GM, Coaches, ass. Coaches it will never work, if they can't see eye to eye...

Whoever is at fault is speculation, but Lindens job was to lay the plan ahead... If Benning didn't follow it, he should have been sacked... Or Linden should have packed his bags... 

Again its easy to sit here and point fingers and make assumptions... but them's the fact.

TBH we're going in circles here, so lets just drop it.

I love Linden like everyone, and I felt he was being set up to take the flack.... That's not Bennings fault but on the owners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Maybe so...

Fact is, that when you have a management group of rookies, POH, GM, Coaches, ass. Coaches it will never work, if they can't see eye to eye...

Whoever is at fault is speculation, but Lindens job was to lay the plan ahead... If Benning didn't follow it, he should have been sacked... Or Linden should have packed his bags... 

Again its easy to sit here and point fingers and make assumptions... but them's the fact.

TBH we're going in circles here, so lets just drop it.

I love Linden like everyone, and I felt he was being set up to take the flack.... That's not Bennings fault but on the owners.

If it was up to the clickbait media, we'd still be talking about it for the next 10 years ++++ 

Yeah old news trying to be rehashed, over and over and overrrr.. 

However it's the best they can come up with so it hardly surprises me

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iceman1964 said:

Yeah picking up Smitty was a great call, I was really hoping we had a legit back up in Martin but whatever, Smitty will do nicely until someone we develop is ready to take over. Pretty happy with Smitty so far, almost looks like a lesser Demko but not by much when he plays. Ty Ian Clark! We need to keep Clark here until he retires! If we let him go, that would be a HUGE mistake! 

DeSmith has been quite good, though it’s pretty striking at how much more chaotic things are in the crease when he’s in there compared to Demko. I’ve noticed he really tends to overcommit in his side to side movements. Hasn’t bitten him yet, and hopefully that continues today. I do wonder how much Clark is working on economizing his movements, but I also think that with a 32 year old goalie you probably don’t want to try and restructure their technique too much.

And yeah, keeping Ian Clark around should always remain a top organizational priority.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Veskit said:

We have another thread for Linden/Benning, any chance we can leave it to that thread and keep this about how much Boeser is gonna light up Ottawa tonight?  Especially since they played their starter yesterday so will likely have the backup tonight!

Well we'll probably have ours playing too but Smitty is only a small step down from Demko playing the way he has been lately 

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

DeSmith has been quite good, though it’s pretty striking at how much more chaotic things are in the crease when he’s in there compared to Demko. I’ve noticed he really tends to overcommit in his side to side movements. Hasn’t bitten him yet, and hopefully that continues today. I do wonder how much Clark is working on economizing his movements, but I also think that with a 32 year old goalie you probably don’t want to try and restructure their technique too much.

And yeah, keeping Ian Clark around should always remain a top organizational priority.

I disagree about Smitty, he actually did say Clark was helping him develop his game a bit better.

I think Smitty would be a ton better if he had the tutaludge of Clark when he was young but admittedly from him, Clark is helping.. good news for us though 

Looking forward to the game, and I'm hoping if Zack or anyone else tries any shit with our stars, that JTM or even Myers sets him straight.

Myers has been playing fantastic, in all aspects of the game, and I'd love to see an angry giraffe if anyone takes liberties with our guys.

GCG! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

OMG BIG DEAL!!!  Lmao! IF it's true that is... 

We have to stop caring what the past regime/ players have to say. That weird nepotism caused problems. This current group seems to have figured it out (their draft ability will take time) but let's stop with the past. Look at Seattle and Las Vegas. No pasts to speak about, those orgs just go out and do their business. Like Tampa and Boston do as well. 

These media guys trying to throw water on this team of fire. 

• Cheers 2