[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senatards Thursday Nov 9 @ 4pm PT / 7pm ET SNP/TSN5/RDS2/SN650

John.Tallhouse

22 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Things might have turned out differently for Benning/Green had concussions not hit Ferland, Baertschi and Poolman

Changing anything about the past (i.e., not picking OJ and taking Matthew Tkachuck or Clayton Keller instead) could have easily resulted in not having either Elias or Huggy on this team now or JT.

Yes, Benning and Co made some really boneheaded moves (i.e. OJ over MT) but those boneheaded moves resulted in the Alien and Huggy being on this team. 

In the words of the esteemed philosopher Todd Bertuzzi, "it is what it is" ... Go Canucks Go

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Wing said:

Aquaman still doesn't have any appetite to rebuild, but at least he got someone who can finally retool properly. 

Now that we are looking at the FULL REBUILDS like San Jose, Chicago last year.  Whom are in the same circumstances as this team was in 2014... Not much for prospects very little cap and past prime star players. 

And the other full rebuild teams like Detroit, Anahiem, Arizona (chronic), Montreal, Buffalo... Until recently New Jersey.  

A lot of lean years there...

If management had traded away all players except the sedins, would we have tolerated the piss poor product on the ice?  I mean it was already bad enough... With some decent players still (all be it older) on the roster.  Made the playoffs in 15'.  

This market is so toxic when the team isn't very good and are struggling.  Not sure if we would have handled it well if they were as bad as a San Jose.

And to my point... I don't think there would have been many butts in seats at Rogers place.  Aquallini's would have lost a lot of money for 4-6 years.  

RETOOL is the way they went... But not as successfully as LA or NYR.  

But here we are, finally coming out the other side... Better late then never.  Allvin and co took over just in the nick of time to salvage a core just hitting their prime.  

All in all, hindsight being 20/20... The team and management we have today, including an improving prospect pool.... I really like this team and wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can’t see this three as real difference makers. Benning bought damaged goods in Ferlands case. 

Yeah, I was just about to type out a similar thought. Those three players healthy aren’t taking this team to another level. A prime, healthy Ferland would have been fun as hell though.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yeah, I was just about to type out a similar thought. Those three players healthy aren’t taking this team to another level. A prime, healthy Ferland would have been fun as hell though.

Ferland healthy would have been great. Agreed. Have him play with Pettersson. That would have been fun. 

25 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Linden coming off like a slime ball punching down a few years after the fact.  It’s pathetic. 

In a he-said-she-said it’s just going to be a popularity contest that he knows he’ll win.

Benning’s comments actually give credit to the whole group - which seems to be how the scouting department operated after he took over.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Linden coming off like a slime ball punching down a few years after the fact.  It’s pathetic. 

In a he-said-she-said it’s just going to be a popularity contest that he knows he’ll win.

Benning’s comments actually give credit to the whole group - which seems to be how the scouting department operated after he took over.  

Perhaps, but if rumors are true, JB pushed him out. I can see why Linden didn't hold back on this interview. 

Still would like Linden back in the organization. Maybe get his name on the cup as part of the management. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Too bad. Linden would have been in position to fire Benning at any point, or nix trades? May have been there to help avoid the OEL debacle. 

Linden was president when we traded Forsling for Clendenning.  When we traded the 2nd that became Rasmus Anderson for Baertschi.  Traded McCann for Gudbranson.  Signed Eriksson. All the bad moves.

As terrible as the OEL trade was, at least he and Garland are playing good hockey 3 years later. 

Holy balls I know I’m yelling into the void here but if Benning is a turd GM then he was president turd - and it was HIS job to “manage up” to the Aquilinis and he failed miserably. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Perhaps, but if rumors are true, JB pushed him out. I can see why Linden didn't hold back on this interview. 

Still would like Linden back in the organization. Maybe get his name on the cup as part of the management. 

Come back, Linden.  There's room for you on the wagon!

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Now that we are looking at the FULL REBUILDS like San Jose, Chicago last year.  Whom are in the same circumstances as this team was in 2014... Not much for prospects very little cap and past prime star players. 

And the other full rebuild teams like Detroit, Anahiem, Arizona (chronic), Montreal, Buffalo... Until recently New Jersey.  

A lot of lean years there...

If management had traded away all players except the sedins, would we have tolerated the piss poor product on the ice?  I mean it was already bad enough... With some decent players still (all be it older) on the roster.  Made the playoffs in 15'.  

This market is so toxic when the team isn't very good and are struggling.  Not sure if we would have handled it well if they were as bad as a San Jose.

And to my point... I don't think there would have been many butts in seats at Rogers place.  Aquallini's would have lost a lot of money for 4-6 years.  

RETOOL is the way they went... But not as successfully as LA or NYR.  

But here we are, finally coming out the other side... Better late then never.  Allvin and co took over just in the nick of time to salvage a core just hitting their prime.  

All in all, hindsight being 20/20... The team and management we have today, including an improving prospect pool.... I really like this team and wouldn't have it any other way.

Burke/Nonis acquired the Sedins , Kesler and Loungo. 

Benning acquired Petey, Hughs , Miller and Demko

Its one of those deals  

9 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Linden hired Benning and Weisboro and Willie D... So yah, I think we can all agree that Linden made some big rookie presidental mistakes right out of the gate. 

A rookie president, hires a rookie GM and then hires a rookie coach...

What could go wrong?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1