[ARTICLE] Canucks’ Quinn Hughes now the favourite to win the Norris Trophy as NHL’s top defenceman

Elias Pettersson

12 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree. I just mean that personally I don't put value in awards for team sports. It's just fluff for me. I really only care about winning hockey games.

It's validating to the players who work so hard to win those games.   And it's not like they are participation ribbons (unlike the all-star game format which since they made sure every team was represented, for sure has become fluff, used to be something we all circled on the calendar, best on best hockey, even if it was toned down a little, usually turned into a real show the first hit thrown).    Nothing wrong with celebrating greatness or a great season at all.   Fluff is a bit of an invalidation, it's not like they are getting a ribbon at a fair.   Definitely think that all trophy's are not created equal.   If a player barely edges another out, there is often a bridesmaid.    First and Second team all-star selections, are definitely a quick glance criteria when looking at a players resume for HHOF induction, and give those bridesmaids something (often a finalist's).   Matter just as much and sometimes more, as does acquiring any individual hardware on the way.    It's also a pretty good indication, of whom's actually a super-star and who's not.   A word thrown around way too loosely IMO anyways.  

It also gives fans a reason to celebrate too.    Sure a cup is the goal.   32 teams don't make for good odds on the road to win one though.    Personally was pretty proud of the Sedins and Naslunds (hardware and team selections).    And Kesler's, McLeans, Bure's and Luongo's too.  And right now, pretty happy that QHs looks to have those chops too,  maybe Miller or EP as well. 

Edited by IBatch