[Article] Canucks: Trevor Linden slams former GM Jim Benning in Sportsnet 650 interview

RWJC

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

There's another Linden interview coming up today with Donnie & Dhali.

Going to be real interesting..

I don't think there's going to be fireworks here. I think Linden answered the question about Pettersson as honestly as he can without any malice. He probably would prefer to back track his comments a bit to avoid anymore controversy. 

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I don't think there's going to be fireworks here. I think Linden answered the question about Pettersson as honestly as he can without any malice. He probably would prefer to back track his comments a bit to avoid anymore controversy. 

Well, I don't know if there's anymore revelations to be uncovered but I think they'll go deeper on what he already said.

I don't think Dan+Sat were expecting fireworks then it kinda landed on their lap, we'll see where D+D go as a follow-up.

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point. Some of Alvin's choices were questionable to me at first. Now that I look at them as part of a larger whole, I see that he's had a methodology that's informed the type of team he wants to build. And it's clearly working. 

As you probably remember it was my talking point a few years on CDC.

A real GM does what Allvin does. So I'm satisfied and I hope everyone see that it's not about bias. I was accused of bias before but it's not my fault JR choose a swede. .😂

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I hear you brother.

My personal interpretation of the situation is that Gillis wanted to start the rebuild as early as the Summer of 2012 (after our loss to the Kings) where we'd get to sell of our core players (peak value) for elite prospects and picks but Aqua said no.   

It's too bad because that would have been an excellent idea imo.  

After our four game sweep to the Sharks in 2013, everyone knew that we needed to rebuild and our players' values had diminished in value.  Gillis went to ownership again with the same plea but was met with rejection.    

When Benning took over in 2014, our aging core players' had greatly diminished values and were signed to shit contracts............not thanks to Gillis, but thanks to Aqua man.  Benning's hands were basically tied in many ways when he took over this team.  An aging core + very little prospects in the cupboards.  

Biggest horsesh_t officiating in my life that I have ever witnessed (and considering the officiating the Canucks received in history that's saying something).  Make no mistake, I think the better team advanced but man were the Canucks basically playing with a man short the entire playoff series.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

My personal take on the situation is the Benning liked Pettersson but preferred the defensemen that went earlier (Makar, Heiskanen)

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/draft-notebook-if-makar-was-available-canucks-could-have-been-sweating

I think the 'Cody Glass' shit was a smear campaign started by Thomas Drance followers.

It was actually reported by Dhaliwall not Drance.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Another person to confirm credit to Delorme for Pettersson, Timrafan in shambles now 🤣

No no, now it was Linden that said Delorme was on the Petey love boat.

When it was only Benning that said it it's only a deflection(as it was).

Benning couldn't bare to say it was due to Brackett, Gradin and the swedish guru  scout Inge Hammarström.

Just now, LillStrimma said:

No no, now it was Linden that said Delorme was on the Petey love boat.

When it was only Benning that said it it's only a deflection(as it was).

Benning couldn't bare to say it was due to Brackett, Gradin and the swedish guru  scout Inge Hammarström.

This is the Second person to DIRECTLY credit Delorme, it is time you accept that Delorme played a big part in Pettersson becoming a Canuck.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Biggest horsesh_t officiating in my life that I have ever witnessed (and considering the officiating the Canucks received in history that's saying something).  Make no mistake, I think the better team advanced but man were the Canucks basically playing with a man short the entire playoff series.

Agreed 100% here.  

The officiating in that 2012 Kings series and 2013 Sharks series was quite disturbing to say the very least.  

2009, 2010, and even 2011 against the Hawks + 2011 against the Bruins was just terrible officiating in my opinion.

I'm of the belief that if Mike Gillis hadn't made the poor officiating public back in 2011 against the Hawks, the refs probably would have helped gift wrap that series to Chicago (Gillis went public during that series with his complaints and got fined an undisclosed amount).  

You then look at that Boston series from Game 3 onwards.  That style of hockey hadn't been seen in the league since the New Jersey-Anaheim series of 2003........so almost a full 8 years.  Boston were allowed to goon it up and it caught the Canucks off guard.   Ironically enough, in that phantom "game 8" that took place on January 7th 2012, Boston tried to play the exact same way and got handed a slew of penalties and misconducts (which is what should have happened during the finals).

While our series against the Flames in 2015 wasn't quite as biased, Ferland was still basically allowed to take charging, roughing, and boarding penalties against us (which was then touted as "good ol' old school hockey,").

Not sure what it was but the refs and the league really hated that Gillis era core.  

(I say 'Gillis' core because I thought the reffing against Anaheim in 2007 + reffing against Vegas in 2020 was fair and so it's not like I just through tantrums after losses)

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

This is the Second person to DIRECTLY credit Delorme, it is time you accept that Delorme played a big part in Pettersson becoming a Canuck.

Can't you get Dazzle here also so the Benning lovers can rejoice togerher over that two actually said Delorme was on to Petey? 

1 minute ago, LillStrimma said:

Can't you get Dazzle here also so the Benning lovers can rejoice togerher over that two actually said Delorme was on to Petey? 

Not a Benning lover, Happier with the current regime. Also Mindboggling how giving rightful credit to Delorme = Benning lover. That is some tunnel vision if I ever saw it. Like MAGA cult level tunnel vision.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Alvin has been very calculated and methodical. He’s not been afraid to make big decisions for the betterment of the team. He has my vote of confidence. 

I absolutely love Alvin and am glad that he's been moved to the forefront since the Boudreau firing (and subsequent fan backlash towards Jim Rutherford).  

I am of the belief that Rutherford was the guy running things up until the Boudreau firing (with Alvin playing the role of Wahlin Smithers to JR's Mr. Burns at that time).

But 2023?  Almost all of this has been Alvin and the guy has been absolute fire for us.  🆒

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that regardless of whether it be dumb luck or due diligence, during a time when main intention was to still be competing for playoffs, we pulled quite a haul from those draft years that included not just core players like Horvat etc, but multiple ELITE talents, which is not an easy thing to accomplish in this modern era without going through a definitive rebuild. We are pretty fortunate that way.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not a Benning lover, Happier with the current regime. Also Mindboggling how giving rightful credit to Delorme = Benning lover. That is some tunnel vision if I ever saw it. Like MAGA cult level tunnel vision.

Benning gave credit to Delorme because that was his guy.

Brackett and Inge was on their way out.

So whos MAGA or not I believe Allvin showed.

18 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yep accepted and glad Ronnie was able to get one so so right.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1