[Article] Canucks: Trevor Linden slams former GM Jim Benning in Sportsnet 650 interview

RWJC

1 hour ago, Mando27 said:

This feels like the media is just trying to find something negative to talk about with the Canucks now that they are playing well. Gotta get those outrage clicks.

This is behind the scenes, none of these guys are even with the team anymore.

I think it's hilarious. Fuck Benning 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

So you believe scouts in NHL don’t know wich pick they will choose if their first, second, third, fourth, fifth etc choice is taken? 
Here it shows you only are here to defend Benning at all cost.

I’ve only heard of one guy being so stupid and that is Benning. Wich he showed when he let Tanev, Marky and Toffoli all go for free.

Markstrom is a silly debate.  We'd have lost Demko in the ED if we signed him.   And Demko for a second yikes!   There was no way we were trading Markstrom at the time... we got the bubble and Demko was eased into the role (and even then it wasn't easy for him physically).    Toffoli versus Brock.   Well that's working out well right now anyways, plus to me he was a rental.

Tanev was a major screw up.   Schmidt was a bad fit and seemed ok after that whole OEL business ... or wait we weren't done with that yet!   OEL and LE were his worst moves with context and without.    JV at less than half the cost seemed ok at the time (with context) of course it wasn't.   And well if you like the team we've got right now, it's all mute!   None of this would have happened without JB wins and his losses.    When Allvin finally made a trade for a rental in Horvat, a considerable part of the fanbase also cried foul (after years of complaining about not trading solid rentals).  And kept it up with trading that first for Hronek.   And some also felt we made a huge error in not taking  NYR deal for Miller too.    Likely the same guys who didn't like re-signing him. 

Personally glad JB isn't our closer/finisher.   He couldn't predict covid and nobody could.    The "bubble" well hopefully that experience stayed with those who are still here (the core).   That's got some value too.   Especially given it looks like we are headed that way right now.    Glad the team learned from MIN, St. Louis and Vegas.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Linden was hired on April 14 2014 as Director of Hockey Operations 

Benning was hired by Linden on May 24 2014 as General Manager

W Desjardins was hired as Coach by both on 

June 23 2014.

The timeline for this failure goes to its beginning .

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Sativika said:

He said, she said.....Who cares?!?!?!?!?!? It's in the past and means sweet FA. Now is the time and the future looks good.

Go Canucks Go!

Oh yea. And I'm a Linden supporter. Dude was one of the good ones for us. On and off the ice and even now. For TL, Vancouver forever!

Dude is an arrogant prick that knows how to put on the polish for the cameras.  

Don’t go away mad 16. Just go away. Your 15 minutes is over.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Can we all just be thankful the right decisions were made on Petey and Hughes and stop living in the past?

Lets keep the positive vibes going shall we?

We've both been here long enough to know the answer to that question 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Alright boys,

My bid to pull an all-nighter and watch the Nucks/Sens game with you guys has come to an end.

Body shutting down (3:23 AM my time).  

When I wake up, the game will be over and I hope the Nucks will have laid the beat down to the Sens.

Also hope Trevor Linden gets AIDS (kidding.......sort of).

Alright guys, cheers.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

In the actual context of Linden's interview on 650 was mentioning the Pettersson's draft in 2017, that Jim wanted to go a different route as the scouts wanted Pettersson.

Not slamming Jim at all, but stating a fact, which Linden has every right to do - also confirmed by many voices like Judd Brackett, Ron Delorne, Inge Hammerstrom, Thomas Gradin all stating that they had to convince Jim Benning that Elias was the right pick over Cody Glass. 

But nonetheless - couldn't care less who made the decision/vouched for Petey....all I care about is that we have Petey, lock him up long term.....the Canucks are good again. Go Canucks Go eh!

Well said, it really doesn't matter much and it wasn't much of a dig. 

I'm more interested in him talking about how bad the process was the year prior, and wondering how long the team's scouting operations process was sub par and why.

• Cheers 1

I was a Benning supporter for most of his time in Vancouver a lot of his explanations of there activity during free agency seemed to be thought out well. The results were absolutely terrible though and now I look back at that time and drafting was fine it was free agency that was absolutely a disaster for him. Trades were a mixed bag on one hand you get JT Miller and Tanner Pearson, On the other you get OEL.

This is all so useless and of course comes out when neither have jobs anymore. Fair play to our scouts for picking Petey, credit where credit's due, but they've made their fair share of mistakes and the drafting teams were basically the same. We could be sitting here with Glass and Tkachuk instead of Petey and Juolevi...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that regardless of whether it be dumb luck or due diligence, during a time when main intention was to still be competing for playoffs, we pulled quite a haul from those draft years that included not just core players like Horvat etc, but multiple ELITE talents, which is not an easy thing to accomplish in this modern era without going through a definitive rebuild. We are pretty fortunate that way.

I think I can confidently say that this elite core exists and is succeeding in spite of JB's regime. Not to say there aren't any feathers in his cap but thank goodness we have new mgmt.

And It's not all in the past either. We have some pretty substantial dead cap hits coming up as a legacy of Benning but I'm hopeful we can navigate it with this current mgmt group.

• Cheers 3