[Article] Canucks: Trevor Linden slams former GM Jim Benning in Sportsnet 650 interview

RWJC

55 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Except Mats Sundin is a Hall of Famer and still a Star player when he joined the Canucks. 

As for the Oilers didn't they try this strategy with Andrew Ference? How did that work out with the Hall, RNH, and Eberle core?

With regards to the Veterans the one the young guys looked up to was Tanev and the organization made him walk. If the guys I mentioned were such integral to the development of the young guys then why did 2021 turn out to be a disaster?

Besides I had no problem bringing in those players to the organization. It's overpaying them either in cap space, term, or even both that is the problem. When the organization is paying 3 mill for 4 years for Roussel and Tampa is paying 900,000 for one year for Maroon. Then something is wrong with the Organizations salary structure when signing players. 

Like I said before I like Beagle and Roussel but not for the contract Benning offered. A 4th line center taking 3 Million in cap space for 4 years?

And that is the heart of the problem and my point. Benning overpaid for players instead of offering a contract in market value.    

Well lets also look at things a little more in depth too. 
Prior to the Beagle/Roussel and Schaller signings, this organization was in the dumps. No hopes of playoffs in sight and certainly no hopes of a cup. Whos taking a 900k contract to play on San Jose, where they could go play for 900k and have a shot at a cup before their career comes to an end. If you are signing with a basement team, you are making damn certain you are gunna get paid for your services. 
Who truly thought the future would turn on a dime so suddenly after the faces of the franchise and franchise leaders retired? Went from no hope in hell to holy fuck this Petey kid is sick. Then we get the 2019-20 surprise season of Hughes and the steal of Miller. Shit turned around so fast and yea Bennings signings caused him a bit of grief, but no one could see it turning around that fast. 

Also its not exactly fair to compare contracts to no tax states. Their take home is probably pretty close. I think McDavids take home is something like 6.7mil or something ridiculous like that. 
Which the league needs to address this. 

16 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Besides I had no problem bringing in those players to the organization. It's overpaying them either in cap space, term, or even both that is the problem. When the organization is paying 3 mill for 4 years for Roussel and Tampa is paying 900,000 for one year for Maroon. Then something is wrong with the Organizations salary structure when signing players. 

Like I said before I like Beagle and Roussel but not for the contract Benning offered. A 4th line center taking 3 Million in cap space for 4 years?

And that is the heart of the problem and my point. Benning overpaid for players instead of offering a contract in market value.    

Besides the players you mention (and others moves not even touched on) signing Sam Gagner for 3 years @ $9.45 million USD to play in the minors for 2 years (for Toronto, after only signing him 15 months earlier)

JB promised to make us a contender really quick (as TL left) and said we didn't need a rebuild.

He passed on draft picks that would have us rebuilt by now  and a very elite team (as opposed to TL time frame, and  have us more ELC) and wasted millions on players who didn't improve us (and handcuffed us for years), in fact, made us worse. and kept us at the bottom and could have got far better value with less known vets with no worse results

He had no idea to start building from the D out and would overpay a ufa  forward (like a fat kid in a candy store with his allowance)

He was far from a builder and he wasn't the scout of this team, he kept his management team in the dark and alienated, and his team left with more power to him

He wasn't a very good manager for this team at all

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Except Mats Sundin is a Hall of Famer and still a Star player when he joined the Canucks. 

As for the Oilers didn't they try this strategy with Andrew Ference? How did that work out with the Hall, RNH, and Eberle core?

With regards to the Veterans the one the young guys looked up to was Tanev and the organization made him walk. If the guys I mentioned were such integral to the development of the young guys then why did 2021 turn out to be a disaster?

Exactly. No one is doubting the need for the players, its the contract. This current regime managed to pull off 1 year deals with Suter, Ian Cole, and Teddy Bleuger and for some reason the previous idiot has a need to hand out 3 - 4 year multi million contracts for 4th liners

Crazy enough, the reason why Kylington and Rasmus Anderssons development was expideted was because of Tanev, they along with the calgary insiders have spoken glowingly about Tanman's influence in the locker room and off ice

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Boy, did he ever!

8629og.jpg

Heres an example of Jimbo during UFA negotiations

Agent: My client wants 8 years 6 million per

Jim Benning: Thats way way too high

Agent: Well how about 8 years for 5.9?

Jim Benning: Done!!! I'll throw in a 2nd too

Agent: Its Free Agency Jim, not a trade

Jim Benning: Oh right! my bad, does your guy want a no trade clause too?

Edited by filthy animal

On 11/13/2023 at 11:50 AM, conquestofbaguettes said:

Exactly. Supplemental.  Not top of priority list. flat cap with larger needs elsewhere and limited funds to do it. Bye bye toffoli.

The other names you listed aren't relevant here. Different players at different times signed for different reasons under different conditions.

But a washed up backup goalie (Holtby) and an underachieving accused rapist (Virtanen) was high in the priority list right?

On 11/9/2023 at 12:22 AM, Miss Korea said:

Aren't there still a bunch of Benning loyalists here who credit him with drafting Pettersson?  Imagine where we'd be with Cody Glass right now.

Imagine where we'd be with Kopitar right now...