[PGT] Canucks @ Senators

John.Tallhouse

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, it's been two games of being significantly outplayed, yet still pulling out a win and that's usually the signal that you're getting a bit complacent in a winning streak and it's end is near.  I just hope they've got one more in them on Saturday.  But, they can't play against Mathews the way they did against the Oilers and Sens.

They won't.  They'll be ready on Sat 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

and it's end is near

This is a really bleak take and yes, they haven't been "as good" but "good teams" find a way to win. They've done that.

They've found a path to get back to where they need to.....and I believe they will. 

No team is "on" every night...none of them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

It can be almost impossible to catch when the 'reporter' has pissed everybody off for so long, nobody reads him.

Lots of fans follow Drance. Personally, I fully appreciate his insight into the Canucks, and hockey overall, and think he's one of the most knowledgeable out of all the Canucks pundits. He doesn't land with all his takes, but he does admit when his takes have been off the mark.

Sometimes he trolls the fans that hate him a little too much, but he has a lot of great things to say, and I find it a little funny anyways reading how people freak out at him for every little thing he says, often misinterpreting or misrepresenting what he says.

I wish he wouldn't cut people off while talking, but he seems like he has a little adhd, so that's to be expected when you're excited and have so much information that you want to share.

He's a real hockey nerd, tho, and loves the Canucks and just wants them to build a contender and win. He's already come around on this team and coaching staff - albeit still with a little wait-and-see approach, which I can also appreciate given the context of this team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, it's been two games of being significantly outplayed, yet still pulling out a win and that's usually the signal that you're getting a bit complacent in a winning streak and it's end is near.  I just hope they've got one more in them on Saturday.  But, they can't play against Mathews the way they did against the Oilers and Sens.

Agreed. It's great to keep getting points and the win streak is awesome but in my opinion the consistency is just as, if not more important than W for this team if we want to be successful in the long run.

I don't expect them to play their A-game for 82 games, but as Tocc has preached the mindset needs to be there for the whole season.

The last thing I want is for the leafs to beat us and remind us of that. As long as we tighten up our d zone play we should be able to take advantage of their struggling defense. I'd rather beat leafs and let Habs get a W from us on our second of the back to back.

Edited by Wing

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

This is a rare moment, but I gotta defend Drance here. It was satire. Sarcasm can be hard to catch, especially in written form. #negativeguy was the tell.

He's playing into the narrative that he is overly negative and poking fun at himself and in this case alos the Oilers. I respect that but also happen to love self-deprecating humor. He should get some cred for owning it.  

@-dlc- Deb, I'm curious about Dhaliwal calling him out. I don't wanna miss out on that. 

I tried to find it on my own but the only thing I could find was Drance telling a story how Rick blew him off in a phone call when an agent called them both. 

Was it in a recent interview? Thanks in advance! 

But is that quality reporting? Trolling

He's feeding a narrative about this team not being "for real" and that we only win vs weak opponents and, for whatever reasons he gives for that, it's time to shed the negativity. This is about the team and he's making it about him by using the team as his comedic fodder? Making jokes about their current run. I don't know that he's getting it right.

I don't think he's poking FUN at himself as much as he's proclaiming that he's negative and proud of his stance. I get ego and narcissism from him. I think he was pointing out something in a serious tone then adding the cutesy negative stuff to justify it. Like "someone here's gotta tell the truth" but the truth is the Canucks have helped PUT the Oilers in the basement...they're not recipients of easy wins because they were there. I mean, he was one of the ones touting the Oilers as potential cup winners a month ago. A team to beat....and we have. Give credit where it's due, don't try to always look for the negative spin.

Apparently he was on the show and after he'd left Rick made comments about him and the fact that he'd been all over Miller and his harshest critic and is now trying to head his fan club. 

With that, even talking about him is helping spread his negativity....best to ignore him completely (as I've been doing this year). And no one's freaking out, we're commenting. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Holy Fuck! Woke up this morning (que Sopranos theme song) to see the Pilers officially lost to SJ! Yes.

Did anyone watch the game? Did SJ get lucky or were they outplaying the Oilers?

From what I could tell the oilers were the better team. Shots were double for oilers. Blackwood did Blackwood things 

7 minutes ago, Wing said:

Agreed. It's great to keep getting points and the win streak is awesome but in my opinion the consistency is just as, if not more important than W for this team if we want to be successful in the long run.

I don't expect them to play their A-game for 82 games, but as Tocc has preached the mindset needs to be there for the whole season.

The last thing I want is for the leafs to beat us and remind us of that. As long as we tighten up our d zone play we should be able to take advantage of their struggling defense. I'd rather beat leafs and let Habs get a W from us on our second of the back to back.

I agree, I want a win on Saturday .......a decisive one.  

Win streaks are fun, but they end eventually and you can usually see it coming.  It's coming, but hopefully we can enjoy another win or two before it does.

I want to see a better, more urgent game from them tomorrow though.

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

But is that quality reporting? Trolling

He's feeding a narrative about this team not being "for real" and that we only win vs weak opponents and, for whatever reasons he gives for that, it's time to shed the negativity. This is about the team and he's making it about him by using the team as his comedic fodder? Making jokes about their current run. I don't know that he's getting it right.

I don't think he's poking FUN at himself as much as he's proclaiming that he's negative and proud of his stance. I get ego and narcissism from him. 

Apparently he was on the show and after  he'd left Rick made comments about him (re the fact that he'd been all over Miller and his harshest critic and now is trying to head his fan club).

With that, even talking about him is helping spread his negativity....best to ignore him completely (as I've been doing this year).

I think you're missing the nuance of his post(s), likely because you don't follow him and his overarching narrative.

He has sung the praise of this team's new structure, but because it's still early and quite a few of our wins have been against low competition, he's still cautioning the parade planning, which is fair. 

• Cheers 2

Off topic. Myers. Anyone wonder if part of the problem is the past two coaches, didn't coach and work with Myers, and just let him Freestyle? Now that we have two ex-NHL defencemen. They and Tocchet have corrected things. Gotten Myers to play a systems game. And focused on his assignment. I don't think he was ever "bad". What he was doing was "chasing the game", and trying to do too much. Maybe because he thought only he and Hughes were the only ones that could defend, and he tried too hard.

That resulted him being out of position, making a hit, then losing the attacker who went in and scored. And tried to be a 2nd goaltender.

All that seems out the window. He's playing with structure, he's trusting his linemates, and working with his forwards. And is playing a smart and simple game. Once again he will never be worth the $6 million, but he's at least rebuilding his reputation and skills to show he's worth re-signing if he's ok with taking a reasonable cap hit.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

A win is a win, is a win! Two points, next. Teams would give their teeth to have goaltending like the Canucks have this season. That Ottawa team has a great mix of young talent in all positions. In fact I think they're built better than the Leafs or Habs.

It bothers me that people are going "well the team didn't play well". They may not have brought the A-game. But the systems works well enough they can win even on an off night and still win. I don't think enough credit is given to the Senators. They did a pretty good job at limiting Vancouver's chances.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Playing this bad won’t fly against the Leafs, despite their defence.

I have a bad feeling about that game. HNIC against Toronto in their building with that homer broadcasting crew and horrible officiating. 

Watch them win and see the media fawn over them worse than feminists fawn over Taylor Swift. 

They'll hammer leafs.... book it. If playing the media darlings won't get them up for it, nothing will... Time to show the eastern media this Canucks team is legit

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I think it’s likely we see a great effort Saturday 

this will be a good measuring stick - not because of the opponent but because of whole scenario - it’s in a hockey epicenter, HNIC going against some top players - Miller, EP, Huggy should want to raise their level and show what they can do 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Seems like last night was two teams playing down to each others lack of intensity, all while watching the puck bobble and jump around on a crap ice surface. 

"they wont all be picassos"

the ice did seem crappy. 

They may have been looking past Ottawa a bit to Saturday as well. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I think it’s likely we see a great effort Saturday 

this will be a good measuring stick - not because of the opponent but because of whole scenario - it’s in a hockey epicenter, HNIC going against some top players - Miller, EP, Huggy should want to raise their level and show what they can do 

Should be somewhat easy to goad them into cheap sh*t penalties. 

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Radio guys were going on about it.

Could have been part of the reason for the low shot totals. 

to me it looked more like an energy thing, and some disjointed play but when this team finds its legs its really hard to beat. 

Plus our shot quality is insane this year. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1