[PGT] Canucks @ Senators

John.Tallhouse

I really like hearing the Canucks coach and players say this was a bad game, and this is after another win, a 5-game winning streak. They aren't satisfied and I love that. Previous seasons were much different.

It's like Tocchet brought in "swagger potion" and everyone had a drink. Also, bringing in players like Cole, Soucy and Friedman were great moves. De-Smith is now 3-0-1 on the season. A team can go far with solid D and great goaltending. 

IMO, Beauvillier looks like the odd man out on offense. Garland has played his way back to a high grit level.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Seems like last night was two teams playing down to each others lack of intensity, all while watching the puck bobble and jump around on a crap ice surface. 

"they wont all be picassos"

The puck was like a bouncy ball in the first period. Can't remember the last time I've seen the puck bounce around that much. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Nucklifer said:

They have lost the zone time battles and have been outplayed for good portions of the last 2 games, but in this game they only allowed 3 High danger chances against and had 9 for. When they're not on their game at least they're managing the zone better then they did last year giving them a chance to win games like this. Expect to see a spirited game against the 'center of attention' team Saturday!

I didn't have an issue with the play in their end.  They played how I was expecting them to play at the start of the year.........keep the puck to the outside, keep high danger chances low and jump on mistakes.  I thought they did this well last night.

It was the lazy, sloppy play in the offensive and neutral zone.  Easily Petey and Hughes worst game of the year in that context, but the whole team (outside of Miller PDGand Hogz) turned the puck over consistently through the night and there was far too much standing around and watching Ottawa take the puck and go on the attack.

Just now, DeltaSwede said:

The puck was like a bouncy ball in the first period. Can't remember the last time I've seen the puck bounce around that much. 

Agree completely.  It was bizarre

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Beauvillier to Nashville for Fabbro, get 'er done Allvin. Blueger is ready to return.

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Di Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Hoglander - Blueger - Lafferty

Studnicka

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Fabbro

Soucy - Myers

Friedman

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Shot quality heavily favoured Vancouver 5v5

IMG_1028.png.9545818564489ea6147a41096d33fad8.png

High danger chances favoured Vancouver 9-3.

Solid defence. Tons of perimeter shots, not many secondary attempts allowed. Most hotspots on the shot map were from low danger areas.

Wasnt too stressful

Funny, because the players (and many fans) are saying it wasn’t their best game by a long shot….

but nice to see there was some efficiency and structure there under it all.

Pretty nice to nab a win there with the backup, too.  What a luxury DeSmith has been and I’ve loved Tocchet/Clark’s deployment of the goalies so far.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Beauvillier to Nashville for Fabbro, get 'er done Allvin. Blueger is ready to return.

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Di Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Hoglander - Blueger - Lafferty

Studnicka

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Fabbro

Soucy - Myers

Friedman

Trotz laughs and hangs up the phone....

8 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Funny, because the players (and many fans) are saying it wasn’t their best game by a long shot….

Pretty nice to nab a win there with the backup, too.  What a luxury DeSmith has been and I’ve loved Tocchet/Clark’s deployment of the goalies so far.

Aa much as it pains me to say this, Ferraro had a good point last night.  If your best game isn't there on a given night, you better have a backup that you can land on that still gives you a good chance to walk away with points that night.  

Clearly they didn't have their A game, maybe not even their B game, but they had a good defensive style they could fall back on that kept them in until they could rally.  If they can keep that up through the season, they are in very very good shape.

Vegas is as good as I've seen at that

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

399478486_10160634368215549_569708456379

No matter what people say about "how" the team wins or who the wins come against, there's no denying this is pretty awesome.

Thing is, if you look at top "goal" scorers, sure....someone like Matthews on top (with Boeser hot on his tail). But our guys are contributing as a team and it's not just "a" guy/superstar stud killing it. It's nicely spread out and a team effort.

9 of the top 23 players for +/- are canucks. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I never really felt we were ever threatened in our zone. What set us back was the early penalties back to back. Ottawa got their feet moving, but even then their PP was of no concern.

34 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Shot quality heavily favoured Vancouver 5v5

IMG_1028.png.9545818564489ea6147a41096d33fad8.png

High danger chances favoured Vancouver 9-3.

Solid defence. Tons of perimeter shots, not many secondary attempts allowed. Most hotspots on the shot map were from low danger areas.

Wasnt too stressful

Interesting, the stat fanatics are going to hate seeing this haha.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Blue said:

Tocchet is channeling Alain Vignault. He says he doesn't have to get mad. They already know. He covered some technicals but that's it.

More 2011 team vibes 

Roberto Luongo made AV look better than he was.

From what I've seen so far, this coaching staff has the potential to be the best since Pat Quinn.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I never really felt we were ever threatened in our zone. What set us back was the early penalties back to back. Ottawa got their feet moving, but even then their PP was of no concern.

Some of the giveaways weren’t great but yeah. 

Tocchet pushing all the right buttons right now - glad we brought him in last year, too.  Had the boys focused through the offseason.  

Hope we can just keep racking up the points early.  Adversity will hit - I don’t think we’ll fall apart or anything - but an injury or two or a few games where we don’t get a bounce.  Keep rolling while we’re healthy and no one is slumping.

Sure looks like these habits are starting to get baked into the identity of this group.  The winning will help.  That’s an awesome sign.

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Tocchet is channeling Alain Vignault. He says he doesn't have to get mad. They already know. He covered some technicals but that's it.

More 2011 team vibes 

From what I've seen, Tocchet is nothing like Vignault. He has a style that still generates offense while keeping a commitment to defensive and smart play.

The team is not blocking shots, they are getting sticks into the passing lanes and keeping the other team to the outside. They are using quick passing plays, and getting the opposition out of position in the attack. And they aren't afraid to work by the crease. The teams puck retrieval is nothing short of remarkable.

That helps both defence and offence.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

More 2011 team vibes 

This team has always had this potential. Maybe not so much with the impact the bottom 6 the past couple seasons as it is having in games now. It truly does compare to the impact Gillis had on 2010-11. This regime has built a deep bottom 6 (Gillis did that) added a top 6 scorer (Gillis did that) added Hronek (Similar to Hamhuis imo)

• Upvote 2