[PGT] Canucks @ Senators

John.Tallhouse

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

To each their own.

He was about roles, he never played the stars on the penalty kill, he refused to pull Luongo when he's having a bad night.

He big time got outcoached in the finals 

But him losing it watching Fiddler doing a Bieksa impression was hilarious.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I don't get the criticism of last night's performance.  Did the Canucks dominate them all game like they did against Edmonton on opening night? No.  Did Ottawa have dangerous zone time? Sure.  But even though we didn't have a lot of shots, our shots were more dangerous. 

The low shot total reflected the commitment to defence.

It wasn't their best performance, but jeez, they played well. And won. At no They did what good teams do, slowly wore down the fight in the other team. I'm stoked if that is now what a "bad" Canucks game looks like.

Its also nice to not have hairs go grey or fall out when we go on the PK. Last 2 seasons took a couple years off my life, last year especially 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I don't get the criticism of last night's performance.  Did the Canucks dominate them all game like they did against Edmonton on opening night? No.  Did Ottawa have dangerous zone time? Sure.  But even though we didn't have a lot of shots, our shots were more dangerous. 

The low shot total reflected the commitment to defence.

It wasn't their best performance, but jeez, they played well. And won. They did what good teams do, slowly wore down the fight in the other team. I'm stoked if that is now what a "bad" Canucks game looks like.

Couldn’t agree more. People are forgetting the players are human. And will have off nights. And if this is how we play on an off night that’s a huge win. Even the coach said it. The players were resilient and kept to the system and even though there were moments. We kept the ship upright and came out with the win. That’s what great teams do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

OTT beat TOR 6-3 the night before. The Sens were riding a high until the Canucks came to town. I imagine Leafs fans are already calling this one a loss, especially with their atrocious D and goaltending. Could be a feast for the Orcas. I'm hoping the Flames beat up a bit on the Leafs tonight. Demko will be fresh. 

I was a bit concerned when OTT tied it up 2-2, but yet I was relaxed and confident that Petey or Hughes could turn it on at any time to get that big goal. 

Surprised there wasn't much pushback or antics from Tkachuk or Hamonic. They must've known better. This is a much tougher Canucks team. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

For fans like me who have always enjoyed looking at charts and metrics no matter how good or bad we are... this year has been an interesting one.  We're decent in expected goals but completely off the charts in actual goals.  It's fun to try and predict and re-predict the future.

But make mo mistake, we are all excited.  We already have 21 points banked up and that'll help us a lot when gravity pulls us back down.  Either we regress back to an average PDO or every goalie we face continues to have a sub-.800 SV% against us.

Just because some people enjoy numbers doesn't mean they're not true fans or they're not super excited about this team's success.  As long as we're not killing the mood, why not just let us enjoy things the way we want?

EDIT: Do you know who else isn't willing to be complacent and settle with just winning?  The Vancouver Canucks.  Tocchet has preached accountability even when we win games.  Win or lose, doesn’t matter.  There are always things everyone can improve on.  Tonight a lot of the players expressed a need for improvement after the game.  That is exactly the attitude I want to hear from them, not "let's just be happy we won".

I've got no problem with PDO in itself, only using it as an indicator of luck or predictor of regression towards the mean.  League-wide, shooting percentage and save percentage do necessarily add up to 1.  But any given team can be above or below that mark over the course of a season or more depending on how good or bad its goalies and shooters are.  Teams with a massively positive goal differential like we currently have are likely to have the stratospheric PDO we currently enjoy.  Some teams are sustainably going to be above 1 and others reliably below.  Over a short run it can be luck, but over a longer one it's about being good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, it's been two games of being significantly outplayed, yet still pulling out a win and that's usually the signal that you're getting a bit complacent in a winning streak and it's end is near.  I just hope they've got one more in them on Saturday.  But, they can't play against Mathews the way they did against the Oilers and Sens.

2 games? The soilers outplayed them for the first 10 mins, then it was all Canucks. I know you watched the game. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

To each their own.

He was about roles, he never played the stars on the penalty kill, he refused to pull Luongo when he's having a bad night.

He big time got outcoached in the finals 

He did get outcoached in the finals but that doesn't take away how great he was that whole year. He coached that President's team very well.  Our players and injuries also let us down in the final. Scoring dried up and Luongo blew it a couple times as well. If AV started Schnieder in Boston we'd have a Cup.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I think the shot keeper was a complete homer...they were counting every little shot Ottawa took on net...ours...don't know if anyone else noticed last night but we'd have 5 shots on goal, then all the sudden it dropped down to 3. That happened all game yesterday. They were counting and taking away shots from us constantly.

I don't always trust the shot clock.

The game was definitely choppy, ice was bad, it made for some pond hockey moments. I thought for tired plane legs and shitty ice we did pretty good. Not a picaso as everyone is saying tho! A win is a win. Good teams find ways to win ugly or beauty they all count.

Even in the opening minutes, I counted 6 shots over a certain length of time watching the action, and then glanced at that shot clock and it said 3. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Aa much as it pains me to say this, Ferraro had a good point last night.  If your best game isn't there on a given night, you better have a backup that you can land on that still gives you a good chance to walk away with points that night.  

Clearly they didn't have their A game, maybe not even their B game, but they had a good defensive style they could fall back on that kept them in until they could rally.  If they can keep that up through the season, they are in very very good shape.

Vegas is as good as I've seen at that

Just shows tho, we can be happy with our wins and the start to our season...but one injury to a key player and things can go south.

Vegas lost Chandler Stephenson and he is mr everything for them...all the sudden 2 losses in a row with out him in the line up. Even a deep Vegas team isn't immune to that. Hopefully we don't lose our collective minds if/when injuries happen and we start getting a few more losses.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Even in the opening minutes, I counted 6 shots over a certain length of time watching the action, and then glanced at that shot clock and it said 3. lol

Lol yup, it's actually a bit silly. Usually it's not that bad. It was very noticeable last night. Homer running the shot clock...some barns are like that.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Lol yup, it's actually a bit silly. Usually it's not that bad. It was very noticeable last night. Homer running the shot clock...some barns are like that.

After the powerplay ended at the beginning of the second period Shorty commented that they had taken the only shot off the clock and Ferraro responded “I didn’t think the pp was that bad.”

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, it's been two games of being significantly outplayed, yet still pulling out a win and that's usually the signal that you're getting a bit complacent in a winning streak and it's end is near.  I just hope they've got one more in them on Saturday.  But, they can't play against Mathews the way they did against the Oilers and Sens.

The Canucks iced the Sens in the 3rd. Not many high end chances against us. The structure held tight and closed it out well. These guys are responding to adversity within the game too. Once the Sens tied it up, JT fired the next one in their net. It’s not easy always being at your best from start to finish. It seems to me that they are gauging/pacing themselves when they don’t have that complete dominate one going. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

its a great sign for your team if its damn difficult to pick one.

All have different roles, and are all exceptional at them.

If I had to pick, it has to be Hughes, but there could be an argument for any of them.

10 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

The Canucks iced the Sens in the 3rd. Not many high end chances against us. The structure held tight and closed it out well. These guys are responding to adversity within the game too. Once the Sens tied it up, JT fired the next one in their net. It’s not easy always being at your best from start to finish. It seems to me that they are gauging/pacing themselves when they don’t have that complete dominate one going. 

Agreed, they locked it down in the third, for sure.

• Cheers 1