[PGT] Canucks @ Senators

John.Tallhouse

Before people get too far on the shot clock conspiracy thing.  Remember that we had at least 3-4 shots in the sequence following Boeser's goal (at least 2 high quality ones too) that would have been removed because the time was set back to 15 seconds into the game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

He did get outcoached in the finals but that doesn't take away how great he was that whole year. He coached that President's team very well.  Our players and injuries also let us down in the final. Scoring dried up and Luongo blew it a couple times as well. If AV started Schnieder in Boston we'd have a Cup.

I don't think so.

We scored 6 goals in 7 games and had 3 wins.

Gillis should never have let Willie Mitchell walk for free. If we have Willie instead of Ballard with the rest of that D core we have a banner.

He let him walk for fear of injury issues, same reason we let tanev walk.

Then Willie wins 2 cups with the Kings.

Oh well

Edited by Breadnbutta
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Veskit said:

Before people get too far on the shot clock conspiracy thing.  Remember that we had at least 3-4 shots in the sequence following Boeser's goal (at least 2 high quality ones too) that would have been removed because the time was set back to 15 seconds into the game.

And regardless of what the scoreboard said, the Canucks went several long stretches without getting a shot.  

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Shot clocks are homer stats.

Yup.  Which is why is a BS stat when trying to compare teams.  I mean you're never going to get consistant interpretations but man some arenas have some pretty liberal views of what is a shot (thus inflating the totals for the home squad).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

He did get outcoached in the finals but that doesn't take away how great he was that whole year. He coached that President's team very well.  Our players and injuries also let us down in the final. Scoring dried up and Luongo blew it a couple times as well. If AV started Schnieder in Boston we'd have a Cup.

By the time we made it to the finals, we were so badly beaten down.

Luongo sucked for sure, however even if we put Schneider in, I dont think it would have changed the outcome. Tim Thomas was in a completely different universe, albeit only letting in 10 less goals than Luongo through the entire playoffs…. His GSAA was 20.72 in 25GP at all strengths, 5v5 he had a 16.47GSAA. In the finals alone he had a 7.70GSAA

It was all Tim Thomas. We hit him with 37 shots in game 7 and got blanked. We had 10 high danger shots and not a single goal. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

By the time we made it to the finals, we were so badly beaten down.

Luongo sucked for sure, however even if we put Schneider in, I dont think it would have changed the outcome. Tim Thomas was in a completely different universe, albeit only letting in 10 less goals than Luongo through the entire playoffs…. His GSAA was 20.72 in 25GP at all strengths, 5v5 he had a 16.47GSAA. In the finals alone he had a 7.70GSAA

It was all Tim Thomas. We hit him with 37 shots in game 7 and got blanked. We had 10 high danger shots and not a single goal. 

Thomas was great but their entire team also played insane team defence. Schnieder could have given them that one win in Boston had he started. Luongo shite the bed so we'll never know.

Ugly numbers lol

Edited by Gawdzukes

Anyone interested in putting their GM skills to the test in the fantasy world? The Ottawa Senators are available in CFFGFL! 

This isn't you're typical fantasy league. We sign, draft, and trade just as if you're an actually NHL GM. If interested send me a PM or head over to the fantasy sports section of the forum and let me know!

Leaving a picture of the Senators current roster below. Cheers!

Screenshot_20231110_160010_Sheets.thumb.jpg.b9bababededbee1be60130d9ac517496.jpgScreenshot_20231110_160043_Sheets.jpg.5458236229caafaf323705be0c381e1d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Really good ice time deployment again too. No one was overworked for Saturday.

I think it's going to be a fun game, up until the 5 on 3  we will get called against us in the last minute.

Yeah. I'm thinking of the Ranger game when we had two lengthy 5 on 3's called against us. That second penalty on the last 5 on 3, though it was a penalty, it was of the of the soft variety and needn't have been called. The Rangers do not win that game without the 5 on 3's.

Having said that, the NHL game management is nowhere as blatant and as obvious as it was about 10 years ago. I'm remembering our playoff series against the Sharks in 2013. It was about that time that Cheech would often correctly predict a penalty call in the last couple of minutes of a game if the Canucks were leading by a goal. The NHL Officiating Department at maybe it's lowest and darkest moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I don't get the criticism of last night's performance.  Did the Canucks dominate them all game like they did against Edmonton on opening night? No.  Did Ottawa have dangerous zone time? Sure.  But even though we didn't have a lot of shots, our shots were more dangerous. 

The low shot total reflected the commitment to defence.

It wasn't their best performance, but jeez, they played well. And won. They did what good teams do, slowly wore down the fight in the other team. I'm stoked if that is now what a "bad" Canucks game looks like.

For me it was more about seeing some of the bad habits resurface again. A lot of turnovers in the neutral zone where a better team could jump and capitalize. It wasn't good puck management. They got away with it last night but if you play that way against a good team, you'll lose more often than not. 

The puck was also super bouncy. Not sure if that was the reason the play looked so scrambly. 

We looked fired up to start the game. I think when we scored 2 quick ones, we thought maybe we'd be in for an easy night and started to play too loose. We then woke up and tightened it up in the 3rd again.  Maybe we're a good enough team now to have those lapses and recover. Im a firm believer though that our systems and puck management should so be engrained that we should never play like that. Even if we don't have our legs, don't make low percentage ill advised passes. 

That being said, if they come out hard against the Leafs and have a good smart game, this is a non issue. 

My only qualm is lately we've seen the canucks winning while not playing their best and usually that means a let down game is coming. 

No doubt if we played like we did yesterday against Vegas or another top team, they'd run over us. My hope is that the guys come in focused for those games and we see a much cleaner game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, tas said:

fans complaining about wins from a team that is performing exquisitely after a decade of outright futility ...

give your heads a shake. 

I don't think anyone is complaining. Quite the contrary. We're all very excited. Team is finally playing to their potential. It's an exciting time to be a Canucks fan

Edited by CanucksJay