[PGT] Canucks @ Senators

John.Tallhouse

26 minutes ago, Steamer4GM said:

Hard for anyone to measure up to the great chemistry Cheech had with Shorty working together so long and the near perfect balance of comic relief and lived NHL experience that made up much of Garrett's commentary

Tomlinson, for me, was a total dud and I'm counting the days until his tenure is done

I'm a big fan of Ferraro so am clearly biased. Always appreciated the insights he brought to international competition and the various games he'd show up on throughout the seasons. He has tons of on ice AND broadcast experience and has known Shorthouse for years so their off camera chemistry combined with their pro experience will only serve them well over time.

Can't wait until their doing the majority of our games together all season long.

A lot of fans like the homer part of Cheech, so Ray will take some getting used to for sure.  He may not

be a Canuck homer, but he'll always be fair in his assessment.  Hopefully he'll get used to his new job

and show more of his character in the future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I really preferred Ferraro over Tomlinson. I found Tomlinson very flat and monotone.

Ray is a bit livelier and interacted with Shorty a bit more without the awkward dead air space.

His energy was better and made for a more interesting broadcast. Not that we need that...I mean, the game is the focus. But it adds to it if you can have someone show a bit of enthusiasm.

I too thought that Ray was quite good as a colour commentator. 

As another poster pointed out a little earlier, Ray's focus does seem to be more encompassing of all things NHL and Tomlinson's chatter is more Canuck centric.

I'm thinking that the two of them will provide a nice change in Canuck broadcasts with each of them providing us with a nice variety of information. After all "variety is the spice of life"".

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Never been a huge fan of Shorthouse but he's better than the alternative.   

I'm also not a fan of Shorthouse.  

Guess that I was spoiled by listening to Jim Robson and Jim Hughson.

Question: What would be the alternative?

3 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I'm also not a fan of Shorthouse.  

Guess that I was spoiled by listening to Jim Robson and Jim Hughson.

Question: What would be the alternative?

Agree On Robson and Hughson.  

The alternative being the Maple Leafs announcers we are getting on Saturday.

Edited by Metal Face Doom
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

PDG after 13 games

8 blocks 18 hits

2 goals. 4 asst  +9

2 takeaway  1 giveaway 

You know what I think he still has room to grow. He's new to the top 6 style.

look what he did after he dropped the puck to Miller, what a smart player

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, kilgore said:

I don't get the criticism of last night's performance.  Did the Canucks dominate them all game like they did against Edmonton on opening night? No.  Did Ottawa have dangerous zone time? Sure.  But even though we didn't have a lot of shots, our shots were more dangerous. 

The low shot total reflected the commitment to defence.

It wasn't their best performance, but jeez, they played well. And won. They did what good teams do, slowly wore down the fight in the other team. I'm stoked if that is now what a "bad" Canucks game looks like.

They were jetlagged in Philly and lost. This time they won with "plane legs," so they learned how to play through it more effectively it seems. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

A lot of fans like the homer part of Cheech, so Ray will take some getting used to for sure.  He may not

be a Canuck homer, but he'll always be fair in his assessment.  Hopefully he'll get used to his new job

I love Ray’s story about how hard it was to play against RT.

Edited by Silent Man
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

shorty and cheech were fun because they were both homers BUT they had no problem praising OR criticizing the nucks OR their competition depending on the play.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Never been a huge fan of Shorthouse but he's better than the alternative.   

I grew up listening to Jim Robson. No one called the Canucks games better. I do prefer Shorty over Hughson tho, probably because he’s been calling the games for so long now.

2 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

Hard for anyone to measure up to the great chemistry Cheech had with Shorty working together so long and the near perfect balance of comic relief and lived NHL experience that made up much of Garrett's commentary

Tomlinson, for me, was a total dud and I'm counting the days until his tenure is done

I'm a big fan of Ferraro so am clearly biased. Always appreciated the insights he brought to international competition and the various games he'd show up on throughout the seasons. He has tons of on ice AND broadcast experience and has known Shorthouse for years so their off camera chemistry combined with their pro experience will only serve them well over time.

Can't wait until their doing the majority of our games together all season long.

Tommy has really grown on me.  His first couple games were rough but I think he settled in nicely.  I like his knowledge of the game and he has hilarious one liners.  He give's me Romo vibes as a colour guy, and Romo is an awesome colour guy.  Still feel like he's settling into his own self/identity as Cheech's shoes are hard to fill.

Word is Tomlinson apologized to Shorty after the first couple games for missing his jokes/being awkward and we all know Shorty is a class act.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well; We'll get them tired tomorrow...Perfect for raking up and putting them threw the shredder...

They managed to eke a one goal win over the lowly Flames. Clean those big nostrils out Austin; A real teams in town..

01252c16740f635b9579ebf16a3d4c87.gif

JT's unstoppable journey to the Selke is going straight up Matthew's nose. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1