[PGT] Canucks @ Senators

John.Tallhouse

7 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Thats funny because when we played Tampa, even though we lost, I was happy about the way we played. We played a much cleaner game and got beat that night by a good team. Check the pgt... 

Some thought the world was falling as that was our second consecutive loss as we were now 2-2. I said it's ok, we played well and if we keep playing like this, we'll be fine. I even went further and said we could pull off wins in Florida and Nashville and come back from the road trip with a 4-2 record 

Im sorry I'm calling it as it is. When the team plays well but loses, I still give credit to the team. When they don't play well and win, although I'm happy, I'll acknowledge we didn't play well but won. 

Some of you that just look at the record, why do you even bother watching the game? Just read the scoreboard after the game if you aren't interested in watching how the game was actually played. 

One of the great things about sport is you are always critiquing your performances good or bad in an effort to improve. You look at what went well and usually spend more time looking at what didn’t especially when you are a championship level team. The low hanging fruit has been picked, sports is now about small incremental improvements. 
As a fan I take the same approach I look at what I liked and what I don’t and think or discuss ways to improve.

That sort of discussion is now openly attacked by some of the mods as negativity since we moved from CDC and is why I have stopped coming here for the most part. 
Amazing start from the club. Have won some should have lost and lost one should have won but on the whole the start of the season has been very, very positive. Are there some warts and areas we expect to see some regression, sure, but this is no longer a space for discussing that. 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

What you are saying makes no sense. You are essentially saying that there is no place for analytical discussion on a Canucks discussion board if it is negative. There's only room for  positive talk highlighting good things and just ignore / refrain from writing anything else. 

Firstly, I don't agree with your take on what a message board should be. That seems borderline communist if you want to control the narrative of a message board. 

Secondly, your view of what a negative post is highly subjective. 

My example of the Tampa game highlights that. While even @-dlc- was critical of Myers' gaffe costing us a goal, I immediately followed her post to say the guys played a really good game against a contender and we'll be fine if we play that way more often than not. 

Now juxtapose that to the game against the Sens. Canucks didn't play their best but still won. Some of us said it like it was and said, "hey, happy we won. We didn't bring out A game and still pulled it out. Gotta bring out A game against better teams though because they'll pounce on turnovers and make us pay" 

Funny enough, players also agreed with that take and said they weren't happy with their game and could do better. 

If I was a Canuck player reading both PGTs, who is the real fan? Which post would I prefer to read? 

Fan A: Calls out one of their own players when the team lost in a well played hard fought game against a really good team.

Follows that up with telling other fans to stop being negative after they win a game in which even the players admit to not being happy about their game and they can do better... 

or

Fan B

The one that stuck up for the team in a loss and spoke up saying the team played well despite the loss and they'll be fine if they continue to play that way. 

Followed that up in a game the canucks win but not necessarily played their best and say it like it was. 

I know if I was a player, I would rather Fan B. A lot easier to digest an analytical view of the game after a win where even I admitted we didn't play well rather than a fan who failed to see that our team played well in a hard fought loss and calls out my teammate for a mistake while happily waving their pompoms after a win in a game I felt like we didn't play our best and and telling others to stop being negative. 

The ironing is delicious indeed... 

I'm not telling you how to live your life. you asked why "some people" bother to watch the games, I explained why "some of us" do. 

43 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

No, I'm saying pick your spots. We're currently on a win streak and that's likely a time to celebrate the team (too). But, in looking back further, I see you have and it maybe doesn't apply to you.

I was critical of Myers and feel it was well deserved. That tackling of Petey really was the final straw for me in how he needed to focus and be more aware of what he was doing out there. I'm happy he's seemingly doing so.

This stuff just gets kind of tiring:

Thanks Deb 

I am ecstatic about how we are playing.  I don't recall a time when the entire team was firing on all cylinders and contributing at every level like this. During the bubble, I legit said I like this team's core better than the 2011 team and feel like this is the team that can get it done and win the cup. 

I am not waiting for the other shoe to drop just so I can tell people I told you so. I love this team too much for that. In fact I hope the other shoe never drops. It inevitably will because we are all human but I'm hoping this goes as long as possible and when we do have a messy game and lose, we start another streak immediately. That's what championship calibre teams do. 

We are at a very exciting time. The staff, players are all on the same page and preaching accountability and systems. 

We used to no show every 3 games or. When this happened, some of us would again call it out while others would defend and say they are humans and can't go through the season with 100 percent effort.

We are seeing a maturation on this team. Clearly we were capable of putting together more than 3 games of consecutive effort. 

We are on an 8-1-1 streak (hopefully 9-0-1 after tonight). While we didn't play our best certain games, we played good enough to win whether it be relying on our goalie to hold the fort for the first 10 minutes or buckling down and tightening up our game in the 3rd period. 

Anyway we are all fans. 

Excited for tonight! 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm not telling you how to live your life. you asked why "some people" bother to watch the games, I explained why "some of us" do. 

Lucky for you, you can save 3 hours because you don't need to watch the games. Just check the score and celebrate if we win and if we lose, just ignore it. No point discussing anything else. 

10 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Or when Dennis Potvin was doing colour for the Panthers the night the Nucks broke their 12 game win streak.

He called Daniel a ‘low life’ and also said, when a line brawl erupted at the the end of the game, that the Sedins were pointing fingers - “they usually only use those fingers for licking peanut butter off their bread”. Lol.

He later made a public apology for that nonsense. Respected him as a player, but what a goof…

Remember that... what a moron. 
Says a lot about him, and his knowledge of the players, he is commenting on...

Embarrashing really. 

Forced to hear colour commentators from around the league at times, and some of them are just trash fans, who only sees the game one way. They even argue against the refs despite it being clear calls in replays. Barely knows the names of the opposition players etc. 

Has to be said though, there are also really good and fair colour commentators. Who knows, to pay tribute to good hockey, whether its from their own team or the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Here we are bickering on the morning of Remembrance Day. Thanks @spook007for the reminder.

But with peaceful conflict resolution...that's an important point to remember.

We can disagree but finding a way to come together in the end without it escalating is important. Especially on a day like today.

Those who gave their lives did so in order for us to have the freedom to express our opinions and it's awesome that we do so here. We are all Canucks.

Cheers CJ, have a great day.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• -dlc- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
36 minutes ago, PleaseDelete said:

One of the great things about sport is you are always critiquing your performances good or bad in an effort to improve. You look at what went well and usually spend more time looking at what didn’t especially when you are a championship level team. The low hanging fruit has been picked, sports is now about small incremental improvements. 
As a fan I take the same approach I look at what I liked and what I don’t and think or discuss ways to improve.

That sort of discussion is now openly attacked by some of the mods as negativity since we moved from CDC and is why I have stopped coming here for the most part. 
Amazing start from the club. Have won some should have lost and lost one should have won but on the whole the start of the season has been very, very positive. Are there some warts and areas we expect to see some regression, sure, but this is no longer a space for discussing that. 

This exactly. 

How did a Canucks discussion forum turn into mindless cheering where looking at the game objectively no longer has a place and is actually viewed negatively and ppl brazenly state this like that's the way it should be?

I will continue to post what's on my mind as I'm generally an even keel guy and think that what @tasis suggesting will turn this forum into a place where there is no insight or hockey knowledge being shared. I'd rather have intellectual conversations here regarding hockey thank you very much. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lucky for you, you can save 3 hours because you don't need to watch the games. Just check the score and celebrate if we win and if we lose, just ignore it. No point discussing anything else. 

I don't watch it to analyze. i watch it because I enjoy it. 

13 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't watch it to analyze. i watch it because I enjoy it. 

You know you can do both right? 

Its not one or the other. 

Watching a movie for example. You can watch a movie and enjoy it but also"analyze it"

You can do the same when watching hockey. 

Ofcourse you can just choose to watch mindlessly as well. To each their own

Funny thing is, you could have just done that yourself but conflict started the moment you told someone else HOW they should watch hockey and contribute on a fan forum. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

You know you can do both right? 

Its not one or the other. 

Watching a movie for example. You can watch a movie and enjoy it but also"analyze it"

You can do the same when watching hockey. 

Ofcourse you can just choose to watch mindlessly as well. To each their own

Funny thing is, you could have just done that yourself but conflict started the moment you told someone else HOW they should watch hockey and contribute on a fan forum. 

sure. I'm telling you what I do. you keep reading this like I'm telling you what to do. 

20 hours ago, tas said:

fans complaining about wins from a team that is performing exquisitely after a decade of outright futility ...

give your heads a shake. 

8 minutes ago, tas said:

sure. I'm telling you what I do. you keep reading this like I'm telling you what to do. 

You actually told the fans that are watching the games objectively to give their heads a shake. You then went on to talk about how you choose to watch the game and post on the forum. 

There's some strong inferences there. It's unfortunate if you don't even know what you are doing... 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

You actually told the fans that are watching the games objectively to give their heads a shake. You then went on to talk about how you choose to watch the game and post on the forum. 

There's some strong inferences there. It's unfortunate if you don't even know what you are doing... 

certainly, I judged others. but other than the figurative "give your heads a shake" I didn't tell anyone what to do. 

inferences are inherently up to the reader. 

4 hours ago, tas said:

being a homer is literally our only job. 

This one is actually more than inference. You are telling us what our "job" is as a fan. To this I disagree. 

As a fan, I can watch the game, cheer on the team, and discuss the good and the bad. 

I don't have to be a blind homer like you. So yeah, you keep being a mindless homer by yourself

57 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This one is actually more than inference. You are telling us what our "job" is as a fan. To this I disagree. 

As a fan, I can watch the game, cheer on the team, and discuss the good and the bad. 

I don't have to be a blind homer like you. So yeah, you keep being a mindless homer by yourself

sure, you're free to disagree and interpret being a fanatic however you choose. nothing could matter less to me.