Oiler Abuse

soggy

On 12/21/2023 at 8:45 AM, Mathew Barzal said:

Is this place going to turn into cgypuck? I’d hope this board is above threads like this in poor taste.

I'm with you on this, but let others post whatever they want. It's not like the reputation of Canucks fans is judged/based on this thread or CFF. This is a Canucks forum, so a visiting Flames or Oilers fan shouldn't be surprised to see stuff like this here.

I'd expect people to be more mature and respectful on HF boards where there are general forums which are not team affiliated, but even there you see lots of toxic stuff.

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Are you new here? It's like you don't even know us at all.

In poor taste? Oilers bring out the best in us.

As a Canuck fan in Edmonton for 15 years I heard pretty much every joke & poke and a fair bit of outright bs slander about Vancouver. Oiler fans aren’t made out of sugar and can take a little good-natured ribbing, and the ones who can’t will learn a valuable life lesson - nobody cares, suck it up buttercup.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

As fans of the Canucks it is natural to trash talk our closest competitors. 

What would be foolish to do is under-estimate the potential of the Oilers to get into playoffs. As poor as the Oilers have played early in the season they have  recently turned things around. It may be easier said than done but you have to focus on McDick to beat them. Shadow him and hit him every shift. I know it is difficult to do but not impossible. If teams plan such a strategy and put it into practice I would be interested to see the results. Don't talk about it just do it.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:58 AM, Reg said:

As fans of the Canucks it is natural to trash talk our closest competitors. 

What would be foolish to do is under-estimate the potential of the Oilers to get into playoffs. As poor as the Oilers have played early in the season they have  recently turned things around. It may be easier said than done but you have to focus on McDick to beat them. Shadow him and hit him every shift. I know it is difficult to do but not impossible. If teams plan such a strategy and put it into practice I would be interested to see the results. Don't talk about it just do it.

Would be pretty effective given the fact that McDiver can't handle the rough stuff and plays scared.  He'd be more worried about throwing tantrums to the refs than anything else.

• ThereItIs 1

The run the Oilers have been on is actually really impressive. They put themselves in a huge hole but actually managed to dig themselves out of it.

However, they are essentially playing every game as a playoff game. No nights off and always high stakes. We've seen with the Canucks how incredibly taxing that can become. I wouldn't be surprised if they we end up imploding sometime post All-Star break.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

The run the Oilers have been on is actually really impressive. They put themselves in a huge hole but actually managed to dig themselves out of it.

However, they are essentially playing every game as a playoff game. No nights off and always high stakes. We've seen with the Canucks how incredibly taxing that can become. I wouldn't be surprised if they we end up imploding sometime post All-Star break.

Listening to Drance yesterday they mentioned that EDM is basically using a short bench every game to make this happen, so you could be right. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Listening to Drance yesterday they mentioned that EDM is basically using a short bench every game to make this happen, so you could be right. 

It's part of what's so great about how we're playing – and winning – this season. Ice time is being distributed quite evenly; gone are the days of Hughes playing 30+ minutes. His highest total in these past three wins is 24:33 against the Isles. The lowest playing time of any player in those games was Hoglander against the Rangers at 10:13... and he scored two goals, including that absolute beauty dancing around 2021 Norris winner Adam Fox. Nobody should be getting burnt out, making our winning ways much more possible to sustain. Build your roster with depth that can contribute like that and you can afford to do these things. It virtually doubles the impact of those players.

Edmonton's personnel are full of hacks, and I don't think they win a cup until they replace some of those key positions for reasons like this.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

27 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

It's part of what's so great about how we're playing – and winning – this season. Ice time is being distributed quite evenly; gone are the days of Hughes playing 30+ minutes. His highest total in these past three wins is 24:33 against the Isles. The lowest playing time of any player in those games was Hoglander against the Rangers at 10:13... and he scored two goals, including that absolute beauty dancing around 2021 Norris winner Adam Fox. Nobody should be getting burnt out, making our winning ways much more possible to sustain. Build your roster with depth that can contribute like that and you can afford to do these things. It virtually doubles the impact of those players.

Edmonton's personnel are full of hacks, and I don't think they win a cup until they replace some of those key positions for reasons like this.

Let's check the fourth lines from the last few games.

They use Janmark, Erne and Hamblin.  Janmark is a PKer so he gets extra shifts.  Erne and Hamblin are averaging around... 5-7 minutes per game.  Oof.

I think we're using Höglander, Åman, and Lafferty.  They're all around 11 minutes of icetime or higher.  Goddamn - Tocchet really isn't a big fan of Hogs... he's always got the least ice time.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Let's check the fourth lines from the last few games.

They use Janmark, Erne and Hamblin.  Janmark is a PKer so he gets extra shifts.  Erne and Hamblin are averaging around... 5-7 minutes per game.  Oof.

I think we're using Höglander, Åman, and Lafferty.  They're all around 11 minutes of icetime or higher.  Goddamn - Tocchet really isn't a big fan of Hogs... he's always got the least ice time.

Yup. Those are pure face-puncher minutes, and they're not even getting the face-punching.

Edited by Ralph.

Edmonton barely beat Chicago. They aren't a Cup winning team. When you have Adam Erne and Derek Ryan on the fourth line, you ain't winning shit. Goaltending is not reliable in any way. 

In a seven-game series, the Canucks would eviscerate them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ralph. said:

Yep agreed with all that, I expect the wheels to come off too.