Oiler Abuse

soggy

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

As Crosby's natural skill has declined, he's still found ways to get it done. 

Crosby at least plays a team first approach to the game. McDangles is all about the reel. He will fade away later in his career when he slows down and I truly feel he will catch a really bad hit some time in the future where either his knee or head get taken out and wraps up his career on LTIR

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Crosby at least plays a team first approach to the game. McDangles is all about the reel. He will fade away later in his career when he slows down and I truly feel he will catch a really bad hit some time in the future where either his knee or head get taken out and wraps up his career on LTIR

bang on - they couldnt be more different

and bedard is much more of a crosby. 

side note - anyone see bedard is quietly up to 7 goals in 12 games?!

• Cheers 1

I know the Canucks have had their fair share of terrible drafting, player development and overall mediocrity, but you gotta admit, the Oilers take the cake. 

They've literally been mediocre since their famous 2006 cup run. Since then, they haven't been able to develop a single formidable defenceman or goaltender. Not to mention the handful of 1st overall picks they've gotten.

It's crazy. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I know the Canucks have had their fair share of terrible drafting, player development and overall mediocrity, but you gotta admit, the Oilers take the cake. 

They've literally been mediocre since their famous 2006 cup run. Since then, they haven't been able to develop a single formidable defenceman or goaltender. Not to mention the handful of 1st overall picks they've gotten.

It's crazy. 

It just goes to show that drafting isnt a guarantee. Development is sooooo important, if you look back at the structure of their teams while drafting high and tossing guys into the fire right away, there wasnt many if any cup experience or heavily seasoned vets to lean on and help with sheltered development in the NHL. Their veteran leadership group was pretty weak. They said Sundin was a huge impact in the locker room when he came to Vancouver. Just how he carried himself, how he seemed to never feel pressure in any moment throughout the season. These things go a long way and if you dont shelter your youth, bad habits pile up, mental stability goes all over the place and on ice performances drop.

• Cheers 1

I feel this is a good time to praise our management for how they have handled building a quality bottom six and the additions on D. They showed the abilty to bolster the bottom six in Pittsburgh and have done the same here from the perspective of capped out team with few prospects. Oh, and our prospect pool is even looking better. Oh, they had the balls to trade a captain. Oh and the balls to change coaches when many of us, me included, wanted the tank. I'm not saying plan the parade route, but job well done. Sounds simple? Tell that to Holland.

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, soggy said:

Since theres so much oiler abuse (and i love it) in other threads, thought it might be nice to consolidate it all in one convenient location 🥰

I can start

Imagine thinking Garbage bin(nington) is going to solve their problems

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/edmonton-oilers/latest-news/oilers-interested-in-championship-winning-goalie

I heard about that...like what is with them thinking these average goalies will save them!? They threw money at Talbot and it didn't work. He had 1 good season on a stacked new york team when Lundquist went down with injury...that off season, they sign him to a 5 x 5 contract I believe...then they Sign Mike Smith after who honestly has been the best goalie for them in a while...then he retires, so they offer another  5 X 5 wiff on Campbell...and once again similar story, Campbell could barely make the LA Kings roster for years he tried, they flipped him to Toronto where he plays infront of a stacked team for 2 seasons and looks great then oilers come swooping in and give him a big contract...and now Binnington...this is just the same issue over and over again with them. They haven't had a good starting goalie since the mid 2000's. I dont know how they haven't been able to draft on either! It's bloody amazing.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I feel this is a good time to praise our management for how they have handled building a quality bottom six and the additions on D. They showed the abilty to bolster the bottom six in Pittsburgh and have done the same here from the perspective of capped out team with few prospects. Oh, and our prospect pool is even looking better. Oh, they had the balls to trade a captain. Oh and the balls to change coaches when many of us, me included, wanted the tank. I'm not saying plan the parade route, but job well done. Sounds simple? Tell that to Holland.

When they asked Rutherford, not even a year ago, if he could get the Canucks to become a contending team in 2 years, and JR said "yes" confidently, I thought he might be full of it, but they have already turned it around and I believe they are currently a contending team.  

How can they not be, sitting tied for 3rd overall in the league? Only around 15% of the season is done, but still, they're 16 points ahead of the "contending" Oilers after 12-13 games. 

ok, picture this.....

Holland calls Nurse into his office.

Holland is twirling a baseball bat.

Nurse is given the option.... voluntarily go on LTIR .....or they'll FORCE him to Robidas Island. heh heh heh.

( because the buyout would kill the oilers capwise. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

When they asked Rutherford, not even a year ago, if he could get the Canucks to become a contending team in 2 years, and JR said "yes" confidently, I thought he might be full of it, but they have already turned it around and I believe they are currently a contending team.  

How can they not be, sitting tied for 3rd overall in the league? Only around 15% of the season is done, but still, they're 16 points ahead of the "contending" Oilers after 12-13 games. 

They are, but like Rutherford said,  if goes well. Depth is still an issue if injuries occur. But you can also say that about a lot of teams I suppose. 

39 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

ok, picture this.....

Holland calls Nurse into his office.

Holland is twirling a baseball bat.

Nurse is given the option.... voluntarily go on LTIR .....or they'll FORCE him to Robidas Island. heh heh heh.

( because the buyout would kill the oilers capwise. 

NEEDS TO HAPPEN… HE IS SO BRUTAL…. 

I thought Jones was bad and Myers but Nurse is whole new level.

4 hours ago, Rekker said:

I'm actually not putting the blame on Woodcroft. He is actually trying to get a defensive structure in place that the superstars won't buy into. He could of left it as is and probably kept his job but and would of been a playoff team at best. I blame Holland with too many bad, bad moves, or lack of moves. I blame the superstars who are so predictable and only have eyes for each other and refuse to round out their games. 

A Boudreau bump might get them back into the wild card convo. The underlying problems will still persist and they will get nowhere in the playoffs. 

I wouldn’t mind if that happens. Oilers would not get a high draft pick and would burn off another several years with no Cup. 

• Cheers 1