2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

14 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

I really enjoyed Raty's twice circling of the offensive zone around the net with the puck on his stick later in the game. Great wheels on the kid.

Klimovich just doesn't seem to process the game at a pro level yet. Needs a better processor.  What Benning was thinking when he put him in an AHL lineup at 18 years old still baffles me. It didn't do him a lick of good.

I think it was either Abby or another season with Minsk,  and we saw how Podz development was stunted when he was an 18 yr old in the KHL.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

I think it was either Abby or another season with Minsk,  and we saw how Podz development was stunted when he was an 18 yr old in the KHL.

Nah, the QMJHL was definitely an option, and Minsk is nothing like SKA St Petersburg which is notorious for not letting the kids play.

After watching the highlights I was wondering what happened to Silovs and why he wasn't pulled for Tolopilo at some point. Allowing 7 goals on 37 shots is not good and it looked like he really should have made at least a couple more saves. And it was surprising that Tolopilo did not start as this was a back-to-back and Tolopilo looked very good in his first start. Is he sick or something?

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

After watching the highlights I was wondering what happened to Silovs and why he wasn't pulled for Tolopilo at some point. Allowing 7 goals on 37 shots is not good and it looked like he really should have made at least a couple more saves. And it was surprising that Tolopilo did not start as this was a back-to-back and Tolopilo looked very good in his first start. Is he sick or something?

Not sure James, they didn’t say anything about him being sick. 

I think they want to get Silovs to work his jitters out. It’s early in the season so we can afford to do that…he hasn’t looked very confident unfortunately imo. You are right Toppy has looked better. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

He hasn't been very good so far this year James. I honestly expected Tolopilo to get the start last night.

I'm not sure if it's a hangover from the big performance at the WC and all the partying, or from the 10-0 shellacking in Calgary preseason. Maybe a little of both?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainQuin said:

I also expected mcward-hirose to look a lot better playing in Abby together 

I haven't watched enough games on both players so far...but they kind of strike me as the same player. 

Sometimes you don't get the best result when 2 guys play a similar style. I'd like to see guys like Woo and Irwin who have a little more experience play with them.

Pairing them with players whose skill sets complement their style of play, so that each player has a defined role.

Hopefully, they're not playing them together simply because one shoots R and the other L

JMO however    

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CaptainQuin said:

I also expected mcward-hirose to look a lot better playing in Abby together 

Not sure if they are on the same pairing but both are first year pros so I’d expect some needed adjustments to their game.

let them get accustomed to the pros and then let’s see if they still have NHL potential 

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

Calgary also went with Wolfe for both games as well for what its worth. Thought for sure both teams would start the back ups.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Silovs is the old girlfriend we got tired of and dumped.  Tolopilo is the new hot babe we can't live without...

It’s nice for our franchise to have internal competition at every level. If Silovs can’t best put Tolopilo then that’s fine. We want the best and thickest cream to rise to the top. 

• ThereItIs 1