2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

10 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

My first reaction to watching these highlights is that I can't believe how many empty seats there are.  Almost makes me wish I lived in Abbotsford.  I'd love to have a couple of season's tickets in some of those prime centre ice seats watching our prospects develop!

The week day games have always been lowly attended.  Especially game the second game of back to  back

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Get Bains up to the senior team ASAP and send Beauvillier to Abby...

Absolutely this needs to happen. If he gets claimed on waivers, we free up 4M in cap space, could go and sign Bear lol.

Bains could play a really useful PDG-type role for our bottom 6 which Garland and Beauvillier are just failing to do. They're both basically floaters. Bains is one of the top powerforwards in the AHL.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why so bains can play 3rd or 4th line mins, rather than playing top line mins and carrying a team.  He'll get his shot, but id rather see him dominating and playing a lot than sitting on the bench in Van

Edited by stawns
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Why so bains can play 3rd or 4th line mins, rather than playing top line mins and carrying a team.  He'll get his shot, but id rather see him dominating and playing a lot than sitting on the bench in Van

Totally agree ! Under previous management groups, we would be seeing Raty and Bains on the big club getting their confidence destroyed.

I'm liking this over-ripening approach and am confident it will yield rewards. 

Back to Bains tho, he does really look like he's taken yet another setup this year - really promising. Think were all rooting for this lad to make it. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

No, so he can get a chance at the big show and show his stuff. And also collect an NHL paycheque. It’s called getting rewarded. 

Nobody is suggesting he gets called up permanently. Unless of course he plays real well and deserves to stay. 

Bains isn’t 18. He’s turning 23 in a couple of months. He’s older than Höglander. At some point he needs to show his stuff. 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely this needs to happen. If he gets claimed on waivers, we free up 4M in cap space, could go and sign Bear lol.

Bains could play a really useful PDG-type role for our bottom 6 which Garland and Beauvillier are just failing to do. They're both basically floaters. Bains is one of the top powerforwards in the AHL.

Exactly. Beauvillier deserves to be in Abby. Bains deserves a shot at the big show. I am sure he’d be ecstatic to earn $800k in Vancouver over $70k in Abby. He’s almost 23 now. The kid deserves a shot to play for his hometown team. It’s his dream. 

If a GM is dumb enough to pick up Beauvillier from waivers then it’s a double whammy bonus. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly. Beauvillier deserves to be in Abby. Bains deserves a shot at the big show. I am sure he’d be ecstatic to earn $800k in Vancouver over $70k in Abby. He’s almost 23 now. The kid deserves a shot to play for his hometown team. It’s his dream. 

If a GM is dumb enough to pick up Beauvillier from waivers then it’s a double whammy bonus. 

Bains will be on the big club. He’s a for sure NHLer. New management prefers their prospective NHL guys to develop in a lower league (the A for Bains) until they are ready and able to contribute meaningful minutes. I see us moving Beau by the 2024 TDL (with retention) and Bains will come up then. 
It’s nice to have these younger guys pushing for spots on the big club. 

• Cheers 2

Abbotsford season ticket holder here. I know it's only a small sample size, but the boys are looking very promising this year already. Bains is looking amazing, if undisciplined a bit. Raty may not be putting up points, but his defensive game has shown great improvement. Jett Woo has taken the next step. Nils Aman is looking fantastic this year in all areas as well! The only cause for concern has been the play of Silovs so far. He hasn't looked sharp, but I do think he will return to form sooner than later. Start getting excited Canucks fans, Abbotsford may be the real deal this season!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bains will be on the big club. He’s a for sure NHLer. New management prefers their prospective NHL guys to develop in a lower league (the A for Bains) until they are ready and able to contribute meaningful minutes. I see us moving Beau by the 2024 TDL (with retention) and Bains will come up then. 
It’s nice to have these younger guys pushing for spots on the big club. 

I agree 100%.  Bains should be on the big club at some point this year.  I'm not saying he should be here tomorrow, but he should be the next call up...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, so he can get a chance at the big show and show his stuff. And also collect an NHL paycheque. It’s called getting rewarded. 

Nobody is suggesting he gets called up permanently. Unless of course he plays real well and deserves to stay. 

Bains isn’t 18. He’s turning 23 in a couple of months. He’s older than Höglander. At some point he needs to show his stuff. 

He'll get his chance when injuries hit.  Right, imo, it's more important for him to play big mins and carry big responsibility

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

9 hours ago, stawns said:

JR was always noted for two things as a GM.

1. He did not rush players to the NHL. He preferred players to develop in the AHL.

2. He was always able to bring guys in from the AHL who could really help the NHL team.

And he is one of a very small group to win Stanley Cups as a GM with two different franchises.

Benning was always impatient and it always backfired.

Anyway, I think Bains will get a chance this year, but not for a while yet, barring injury.

Beauvilier will get more runway on the Canucks. While I would like to see him do more, he has being playing decently. He has been unlucky not to get on the scoresheet yet. He might come out for Studnicka at some point, and Studnicka is still ahead of Bains on the depth chart. And Blueger will be back soon, which complicates things.

Bains has been playing great and I would love to see him on the big team at some point. But right now he is gaining a lot from his reps in Abby.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, TheBrockStar said:

Start getting excited Canucks fans, Abbotsford may be the real deal this season!

I have somewhat tempered expectations. They lost both games to Calgary, and have to play them 10 more times (!!!) - and Calgary knocked them out of the playoffs earlier this year

A truer test will come in a couple of days when they meet the Firebirds - who took out those same Wranglers in the playoffs and went on to the Calder Cup finals (although for some reason so far this season they have only played 3 games - 1 win and 2 losses - versus Abby's 7 games). We're missing Podz, but they are missing their last year's best D-man in Raffery, who didn't resign with the Kraken (got a 2 year deal with Detroit)

That Halloween game will be a good test

17 hours ago, Googlie said:

I have somewhat tempered expectations. They lost both games to Calgary, and have to play them 10 more times (!!!) - and Calgary knocked them out of the playoffs earlier this year

A truer test will come in a couple of days when they meet the Firebirds - who took out those same Wranglers in the playoffs and went on to the Calder Cup finals (although for some reason so far this season they have only played 3 games - 1 win and 2 losses - versus Abby's 7 games). We're missing Podz, but they are missing their last year's best D-man in Raffery, who didn't resign with the Kraken (got a 2 year deal with Detroit)

That Halloween game will be a good test

Abby has a slant towards younger players. Last year we were the youngest team in our 10 team division. 

For example Calgary Wranglers have 11 players born in 2000 or later, Abby has 18. 

Seattle's AHL team was really veteran heavy as well last year. This year they have 10 players born in 2000 or later (younger then 23 roughly). 

I actually really detest the AHL playoff format. We have to play one more round compared to a lot of other teams and we get to play the same teams over and over. 

I'd rather watch us against new competition. We will play Calgary 12 times this year and then probably more in the playoffs! Too repetitive. 

PS. There's a game on today!