2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Abby getting badly outshot in the 3rd. - 15 to 6 in fifteen minutes

Yeah, well they had to kill off four penalties in the third. Tristen Nielsen threw one of the best textbook hipchecks you'll ever see and was assessed a penalty for tripping. Twenty seconds later, Silovs was called for high sticking during a goal mouth scramble. Down two men, Abbotsford surrendered a 5 on 3 goal which was the winner. Ten seconds after the second penalty was over, Abbotsford took another penalty on a really soft call. All told, Abbotsford took eight minors and one major. I never really complain about referees  because they have a hard job and they can't see everything, but the refereeing tonight was abysmal.

That said, Abbotsford didn't have it tonight. They couldn't generate offence and weren't moving the puck well at all. Tristen Nielsen and Sheldon Dries stood out, and Arshdeep Bains is really smooth with the puck. Silovs was okay and Wolanin and Irwin were both steady. Overall, a bit of a yawner made really frustrating by putrid officiating.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yeah, well they had to kill off four penalties in the third. Tristen Nielsen threw one of the best textbook hipchecks you'll ever see and was assessed a penalty for tripping. Twenty seconds later, Silovs was called for high sticking during a goal mouth scramble. Down two men, Abbotsford surrendered a 5 on 3 goal which was the winner. Ten seconds after the second penalty was over, Abbotsford took another penalty on a really soft call. All told, Abbotsford took eight minors and one major. I never really complain about referees  because they have a hard job and they can't see everything, but the refereeing tonight was abysmal.

That said, Abbotsford didn't have it tonight. They couldn't generate offence and weren't moving the puck well at all. Tristen Nielsen and Sheldon Dries stood out, and Arshdeep Bains is really smooth with the puck. Silovs was okay and Wolanin and Irwin were both steady. Overall, a bit of a yawner made really frustrating by putrid officiating.

I was at the game and agree with almost all of your points. However, we were doing just fine (minus an ugly PP) until Silovs made his puck handling mistake, and he was clearly in his own head because he immediately fumbled the puck on a routine catch to go from 1-0 to 1-2. That was the turning point and the boys chased the game after. 

I understand that Silovs had a very solid game outside of that and I think he has a great future ahead of him, but you can’t dwell on a mistake at this level, nor can you make back to back errors resulting in goals against. 

• Like 1