2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

Well, second game was a smashing! 6-0 final score.

Shut out for Silovs, he wasn't tested too much however.

It's pretty much copy and paste from last game. Everyone played well. Less mistakes this game. All the young guys are meshing well and fitting in and absolutely buzzing out there.

I really do think Studnika threw the line up off, he was playing top line minutes and he pushed the younger guys down the line up and threw all the line combos off. Since we have traded him and stabilized our defense with Cicek our team is playing in top form again.

Still room for improvement however, we need to start winning games against Calgary and Coachella Valley before i'm confident this team can make it to the calder cup.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

General word is that Woo is nearly ready for prime time, is high on injury reserve call up list for RD

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I'd be really happy to see Woo get a shot sometime this season. He's really worked hard to become a consistent, reliable, hard-nosed defender. I know there are those here who wrote him off long ago, but he's found his game and is playing well. 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd be curious to see Woo with the big club. if he can contribute in a top four role, man, that would be huge for the club. 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Man that's really encouraging to hear that Woo's found his game. I'm really excited about him getting some games with the Canucks! 

For some reason there isn't a JETT WOO thread in this forum. Shouldn't he be in there?!?!?!?!? Anywho....I snagged these quotes from the Vasily Podkolzin thread.

I'm encouraged by these quotes and what I've read in this Abby forum about Woo as of late. It is my belief that a stint with the big club for Woo would do him a world of good. To be in the presence of our HOF coaching and learning what they can teach will certainly get him to the next step to the NHL. To me, a much deserved step.

After all the positive conversations of Woo's improvements in Abby, AND a RHD of our own I might add. I mean, why not.  Let's get him to Vancouver sooner rather than later. 

I realize that upon Soucy's return that Juuls will be sitting and there'd be no chance of Woo playing unless a scenario of injury plagues us again on D. But even just a call up to train with the big club and see our game from the pressbox; nothing but good things will be the result.

A call up scenario as such would give Woo such a big boost. Knowing the hard work and time he's put in at the farm are finally gonna pay off.

Really, the 2018 entry draft, save for Huggy, was pretty much a bust. Woo the 2nd rounder to me at the time was a win. I'm really routing for this kid. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

For some reason there isn't a JETT WOO thread in this forum. Shouldn't he be in there?!?!?!?!? Anywho....I snagged these quotes from the Vasily Podkolzin thread.

I'm encouraged by these quotes and what I've read in this Abby forum about Woo as of late. It is my belief that a stint with the big club for Woo would do him a world of good. To be in the presence of our HOF coaching and learning what they can teach will certainly get him to the next step to the NHL. To me, a much deserved step.

After all the positive conversations of Woo's improvements in Abby, AND a RHD of our own I might add. I mean, why not.  Let's get him to Vancouver sooner rather than later. 

I realize that upon Soucy's return that Juuls will be sitting and there'd be no chance of Woo playing unless a scenario of injury plagues us again on D. But even just a call up to train with the big club and see our game from the pressbox; nothing but good things will be the result.

A call up scenario as such would give Woo such a big boost. Knowing the hard work and time he's put in at the farm are finally gonna pay off.

Really, the 2018 entry draft, save for Huggy, was pretty much a bust. Woo the 2nd rounder to me at the time was a win. I'm really routing for this kid. 

Woo is subject to waivers, no? Likely he plays the season in Abby and is part of the Calder playoffs. Based on performance of both clubs this spring and their playoffs the roster in Vancouver will be in flux. Especially with the number of UFA's.  

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 6:21 AM, Boudrias said:

Woo is subject to waivers, no? Likely he plays the season in Abby and is part of the Calder playoffs. Based on performance of both clubs this spring and their playoffs the roster in Vancouver will be in flux. Especially with the number of UFA's.  

On 12/25/2023 at 5:09 AM, Sativika said:

I'm also very shocked to see that Woo doesn't have his own page. Perhaps we can ask @-dlc- to create a page for him. This is a new article from Boxing Day.

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/news/jett-woo-s-defensive-acumen-dedication-propel-abbotsford-s-blue-line

Jett Woo’s Defensive Acumen, Dedication Propel Abbotsford’s Blue Line

Dec 26th 2023

By Lindsey Horsting

Jett Woo has been a top-pairing defenceman for Abbotsford all season and has come into his own over the last few years with the club.

In his fourth year in the AHL, Woo feels the confidence in his game has really grown over the past year. He knows what he needs to do to have success and proves himself right, getting positive results from his hard work.

Setting goals is important to him and Woo has set a standard for himself in practices and games that help him stay consistent. He’s also enjoying every step in the process and is having fun with his teammates.

“I feel like I've been playing well both offensively and defensively, I’ve been defending strong, and having smart hits,” Woo said. “It's never really my goal to score a bunch of points but I've been doing pretty well this season.”

Through 25 games, Woo has 11 points (3-8-11) and his blueline partner, Christian Wolanin, has 18 points (2-16-18) through 22 games. The two have different styles that complement each other and in their second season together they’re firing on all cylinders.

“I think for me personally, it's just to keep it simple, be hard to play against and just move pucks,” Woo said. “I think Woly Wolanin and I play pretty good together, we've been doing that for a little while now and we’ve got that chemistry. I think we both know what the coaches and team expect of us. It makes it pretty easy for us to go out there every night and play with consistency.”

The Abbotsford coaching staff also know what to expect from him on a nightly basis. Head Coach Jeremy Colliton says Woo has a number of valuable skills in his toolkit as he works towards taking the next step.

“His ability to close quick whether it's up ice, in the neutral zone, shutting down rushes, or closing quick in the defensive zone to get stops and get us out,” Colliton said, adding why he thinks Woo and Wolanin are such a great defensive pairing. “He can help Wolanin get out of the d-zone and then obviously put Woly in a position where he can jump up and really help us and transition. They really fit well together. Woozi's such a good skater and he knows how to use his skating to get body position which makes him a really good defender.”

He’s fine-tuning this season; keeping track of the smaller details of his game to measure his improvement. He’s tallying his blocked shots on the PK and five-on-five, shot totals, average shots per game and his exits out of the zone percentage.

He used to focus on playing well away from the puck, and going hand in hand with watching his zone exits and shot totals, he’s leaning into developing more creativity with the puck on his stick.

“I’m working on what I'm doing with the puck. A lot of times I was trying to space myself out and be smart away from the puck, but now I'm getting more touches, I’m on the puck a little bit more and learning to do more with it,” Woo said, also mentioning he’s been working on playing more minutes and being able to defend on both sides of the ice.

Woo scored the go-ahead goal against the Ontario Reign on December 20th, helping the Canucks in the 5-2 win and earning the hatchet (team MVP) for the game.

Beyond the statistics, he embraces leadership, fostering a positive team culture and helping his teammates, whether they’re rookies or have been around the league a while.

“It's nice,” said Woo. “I remember when I was a rookie and I was nervous or whatever and some guys can be hard on you, some are really good to you. I think we've got a great group of guys so we have a lot of fun off the ice which makes it more fun on the ice.”

Woo has been a staple on the penalty kill and has dabbled on the power play. As Woo continues to add to his game at the AHL level, Colliton says it’s possible Woo could get more time on the man advantage.

Colliton felt Woo took a big step developmentally being moved to the top d-pairing last season after Guillame Brisebois, Noah Juulsen and Wolanin were called up to Vancouver.

“He had an excellent year last year. He's carried that into this year when we've needed him to carry a big load in all situations,” Colliton said. “He can play on the powerplay, there's been times where we haven't played him on the powerplay just because we need him five-on-five and on the kill just based on who we had the lineup and the minutes we needed from him. But as our defense gets stronger, and I think we're a little deeper now than we were even a couple of weeks ago, then maybe he will get a little more power play time and we'll see where it goes. He knows we all see him at the next level as a five-on-five, penalty kill guy but it's always fun to be on the power play.”

Woo’s commitment to hard work and setting personal goals has translated to a strong start to this season. With his sights set on furthering his development, Woo’s journey shows a player coming into his own as a leader and important piece for the Abbotsford squad.

Lindsey Horsting

Edited by PureQuickness

On 12/25/2023 at 5:09 AM, Sativika said:

I dont think it's a given that Juulsen is the one who sits upon Soucy's return.  Tocchet likes his defensive game, his PK, hitting, and he is a RHD.  While Cole has played on his offside, as an older vet he can likely take press-box sessions and still be game sharp better than the younger, still developing, Juulsen 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I dont think it's a given that Juulsen is the one who sits upon Soucy's return.  Tocchet likes his defensive game, his PK, hitting, and he is a RHD.  While Cole has played on his offside, as an older vet he can likely take press-box sessions and still be game sharp better than the younger, still developing, Juulsen 

I agree, I feel like Cole has been slowing down as the season has went along. He’s been making some head scratching plays recently. 

Well, better late than never. Just finished watching the baby nucks game.

Awesome effort over all by every player. Both teams played it even all the way to OT. 

We scored to tie the game up with around 3 mins left…phew! 

So happy to finally get a W against the Wranglers.

No Christmas hangover in the AHL…both teams were ready to roll.

I’m not gonna single anyone out for this game. Everyone pulled their weight and played a full 60 min team game. Much better than the big brother Canucks…ehem!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I agree, I feel like Cole has been slowing down as the season has went along. He’s been making some head scratching plays recently. 

He turns 35 in Feb. and is a UFA at the end of the season. If it were up to me, Juulsen would be playing more than Cole although I can see them being slotted in or out of the lineup depending on who they are playing.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He turns 35 in Feb. and is a UFA at the end of the season. If it were up to me, Juulsen would be playing more than Cole although I can see them being slotted in or out of the lineup depending on who they are playing.

Juulsen has definitely earned his spot. He has room to grow too so it’s worth keeping him in. With that nasty injury to start his career he’s had a delay to his projected growth. We may now be finally seeing what he was always meant to be pre injury.

edit: thought I’d attach an article related to his injury. Long story short he was hit in the eye twice in one game. At first they thought he would be ok then it became more serious as the week went along. I think he come close to losing his vision in that eye.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/noah-juulsen-out-indefinitely-with-eye-injury-montreal-canadiens-laval-rocket-prospect-injury/#google_vignette

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I missed the game.  Prolly a good thing.  ☹️

It was a good one to miss. I sat thru most of it…why? I don’t really know.

hoping for a come back. They have done it before in the 3rd.

They at least put some pucks on net in the 2nd and 3rd. But mostly from outside/perimeter.

On to the next

• Cheers 1