2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Karlsson having immediate impact. Must be so nice to have a guy like that back on the team.

I forgot Friedman got sent down, he's been quiet most of the game till now. But he hasn't played in a game since end of Nov so shaking off some rust I think. 

Karlsson makes this team so much better I agree.

3 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

On paper I would think our team is stacked. However our overall standing doesn't seem that great. What gives?

I think quite a few of the AHL teams are similar in that way. Few power houses but in a way, our guys mostly younger and  I sometimes wonder if

Jeremy Colliton is the right guy though.  I guess Canuck's brass would go with someone else if they thought it was needed.

37 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

On paper I would think our team is stacked. However our overall standing doesn't seem that great. What gives?

It may seem stacked, but we are a young team with lots of growth left to go. The kids are still learning how to play a pro game. This is their first season really trying to take over the team from the vets they had in the past. We let a lot of AHL guys walk last year.

All you have to do is look at Calgary Wranglers and see how well they are doing. They have a more balanced roster and have a few more AHL pros mixed in with their young prospects.

And not to put too much blame on one single department but our goaltending this year has not been consistently good. Silovs and Topilov have been average at best.

Close to 75 % of our baby nuck roster is youngish and learning the pro game, whether it's their first season or their 3rd. None of them have had to carry the team until this year. So that takes a lot of learning. That's my take on why they are so up and down. 

A lot of people don't like too many lifetime AHLers on their team because it takes up young player roster spots, but it's important to have them in your roster as they provide that much needed "been there, done that" influence to a roster. You can look at a lot of top AHL teams every year and most of them are a 50/50 split of AHL pro and young pros.

(and to just clarify an AHL pro is someone who is 26/27 years plus and they've been in the AHL for at least 5 years, at least in my world that's what makes sense to me lol)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Tight game but was fun to watch.

This team just plays so much better when Karlsson is in the lineup.

You can just see all his “pro” intangibles on the ice. He’s definitely a step ahead of everyone, including Podz.

Nice defensive structure tonight. Overall team structure was tight too.

Woo was physical all game. Sasson was buzzing everywhere. Podz too.

Topilov made the stops that were needed and kept the crease clean.

Good win against a top team in the west.

Edit: Almost forgot about Friedman! Hell of a game. Gutsy performance on the PK too. He’s really gonna help this team get some wins.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

We need more Abby Nucks superfans on this forum. Was always fun having the Utica fans on CDC.

I don’t know if will ever see that again. Utica is a special hockey town. The team was the only pro sports team in the area and got all the attention.

It’s hard in Abby, the parent club is the main attraction in town so they take a back seat to that.

I like the fans in abby but they (no offence) are no where near filling the seats like Utica did.

I notice our barn is fuller on fri/sat/sun but week day games are sparse. Compared to Utica, didn’t matter what day of the week it was the barn was always rocking and FULL. Every damn season. It’s impressive. Every team in the AHL wishes they had Utica fans. Heard it lots.

Not sure what they can do to fill more seats in Abby. Hopefully it comes over time. But I look at the Marlies in Toronto and they have the same issue we do. For a major hockey area their barn isn’t full every game either. Sone games are like half capacity.

If I lived in the lower mainland I’d totally be going to every Abby game I could. I love the team, I watch every game online but I live wayyyy up north so that’s all I can do lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1