2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

All 3's

3 - 3 with 3 minutes left in the game, about to head into a 3 v 3 overtime

Overtime it is

Edit: Irwin takes a penalty

Condors get the powerplay goal

Edited by Googlie
  • Sad 1

This guy has to be the worst announcer ever!  Going to give himself vocal nodules, is a total homer and doesn't pronounce Raty's name properly... Hurts my ears, sound is now off - otherwise enjoying the game.  Thanks Rob for reminding us about the AHLTV free games!

• Cheers 1

I ended up asking Brandon Astle his opinion on why the Abbotsford Canucks are lacking so much consistency. Chalked it up to younger players playing more than what they are ready for.

Jeremy didn't seem to be light with his words tonight...didn't seem like has liked the players in the last while.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/farmies-some-guys-getting-opportunity-they-want-arent-doing-enough-colliton-after-loss-barracuda

“We have typically responded [in game two]. If you go back to the [six-game] homestand, it was a game like this, and then one professional game.” A frustrated Colliton acknowledged the team’s gameplay tendencies, and wasn’t mincing words during his post-game availability about it. “The problem is, you’re going to be games where you play well and lose anyway, so you can’t really afford to be giving away games, which has happened too often lately.”

Interestingly, Colliton was sharp in his critique of the youth on his team, who’ve seemingly wanted more of an opportunity yet have failed to do anything with it. “We have young players who are leaders, we have young players who are playing huge roles, but if you want those roles, then responsibility comes with it,” said Colliton. “Probably, if we had a healthier group, then some of those guys [given opportunity] wouldn’t be playing, or they’d be playing less. That part’s frustrating because we have some guys getting an opportunity that they want and aren’t doing enough with it.”

I think based on usage he hasn't loved McDonough, Klimovich and Raty as of late.

But this seemed to be a bit of a shot and challenge towards Bains, Nielsen, Sasson, and Podkolzin to step things up. These four are the big guns for the team, and without Dries, they haven't done well enough in the past month to not only produce but bring consistent efforts.

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I ended up asking Brandon Astle his opinion on why the Abbotsford Canucks are lacking so much consistency. Chalked it up to younger players playing more than what they are ready for.

Jeremy didn't seem to be light with his words tonight...didn't seem like has liked the players in the last while.

https://canucksarmy.com/news/farmies-some-guys-getting-opportunity-they-want-arent-doing-enough-colliton-after-loss-barracuda

I think based on usage he hasn't loved McDonough, Klimovich and Raty as of late.

But this seemed to be a bit of a shot and challenge towards Bains, Nielsen, Sasson, and Podkolzin to step things up. These four are the big guns for the team, and without Dries, they haven't done well enough in the past month to not only produce but bring consistent efforts.

They sure weren't noticeable last night. Two, count'em two players stood out to me. Podkolzin and McWard. Bains a close third. They pressed in the final three minutes but couldn't get a shot through on the net.

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

It's difficult for me not to think the problem isn't Colliton himself. Thought that for a while this year..              

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It's difficult for me not to think the problem isn't Colliton himself. Thought that for a while this year..              

Not really impressed with the Colliton/Ulmer/Agnew coaching trio. Didn't care for Ulmer and Agnew in Utica while they were there either. Granted; this is a young team compared to most in the AHL but I'm not really seeing much progress by any of the players under their tuteledge.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not really impressed with the Colliton/Ulmer/Agnew coaching trio. Didn't care for Ulmer and Agnew in Utica while they were there either. Granted; this is a young team compared to most in the AHL but I'm not really seeing much progress by any of the players under their tuteledge.

Having a very young roster has shown to be hard and will give Colliton and his staff some grace...but its into February now. I sort of thought the inconsistency would be at the beginning of the season but being this late into the AHL season, this is most alarming that the systems and details haven't sunk in yet. Seeing a lot of mistakes being made, which I get will happen with young players and a chaotic league such as the AHL...but even seeing at times Podkolzin, Bains, and Nielsen struggle at times is alarming. 

I get that Jeremy did well last season - but that was a veteran laden roster with Justin Dowling, Kyle Rau, Noah Juulsen, Zach Giutarri and Spencer Martin. I was hoping to see his worth with this group, and not going to lie, he is under the microscope for me. It feels like McDonough and Klimovich haven't figured it out personally which could be just them as players, but not seeing anyone really pop this year compared to last year. Bains had a hot start but he sorta hit a wall, Nielsen has been ineffective, Podkolzin seems to be riding a wave of consistency issues, Woo doesn't seem to really be himself anymore.

Its alarming so many prospects have Staganated a bit here. This team is not too far off from potentially not qualifying for the AHL playoffs, the standings are really tight in the Pacific division.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Two of the San Jose players were, Jack Studnicka and remember him? Cole Cassels. He's never got much of a sniff at the NHL level, but he has carved a career in hockey. When drafted CDC was going crazy about him, he's going to shut McJesus down in every game.....