2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

56 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Two of the San Jose players were, Jack Studnicka and remember him? Cole Cassels. He's never got much of a sniff at the NHL level, but he has carved a career in hockey. When drafted CDC was going crazy about him, he's going to shut McJesus down in every game.....

..........just like Virtanen was going to pulverize him with huge hits every game. 😄

• Haha 1

Better effort tonight. Although this team has to learn to not shoot itself in the foot in the first period.

Sound familiar?

Sasson and Karlsson were really good, Bains, Podkolzin, and Raty did a lot of grunt work tonight. Notcing chemistry between Bains, John Stevens, and Podz starting to create a lot of chances from down low due to their relentless forechecking and conscientious efforts.

I wonder if Ryan Johnson looks for help up front with so many bodies out. Adding another veteran scorer could really help uplift this group moving forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Better effort tonight. Although this team has to learn to not shoot itself in the foot in the first period.

Sound familiar?

Sasson and Karlsson were really good, Bains, Podkolzin, and Raty did a lot of grunt work tonight. Notcing chemistry between Bains, John Stevens, and Podz starting to create a lot of chances from down low due to their relentless forechecking and conscientious efforts.

I wonder if Ryan Johnson looks for help up front with so many bodies out. Adding another veteran scorer could really help uplift this group moving forward.

Great synopsis. The numbers say, the Canucks get one guy back and there may well be someone, or possibly a prospect they have in another league..

56 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sound familiar?

Allvin said both Lekkerimäki and D-Petey will be in Abby once their seasons are over. Not sure when that happens. They would both need to miss the playoffs in Sweden. 

9 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

What I like more about Aby this year is the top of the scoring is young players with a possible NHL future.  Bains, Karlsson, Raty, Pods and Sasson.  In three years at least 3 of those guys play in the NHL.  

Yea that’s what people should keep in mind when looking at the standings.

A lot of the top teams are mainly full of journeyman AHLers. How many players are actually being developed into future NHLers though?

If you can be a top team that is also being lead by young developing prospects that’s the sweet spot.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Karma-Kazi44 said:

Even if he does nothing more then a few practices and we say no. It’s gotta be pretty good for Abby players just to have him around for a week. 

If he is not quite up to speed I wonder if the Canucks would give him an AHL PTO contract to buy him a bit more time before committing to an NHL contract?

On 2/4/2024 at 5:40 AM, Johngould21 said:

Two of the San Jose players were, Jack Studnicka and remember him? Cole Cassels. He's never got much of a sniff at the NHL level, but he has carved a career in hockey. When drafted CDC was going crazy about him, he's going to shut McJesus down in every game.....

to be fair Cassels literally single-handedly stole an OHL cup from McDavid and held him to 2 points in 5 games when Oshawa bodied Sarnia 4-1.  McDavid was spazzy all over the ice shades of this game.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Ben Lypka has been a local Abbotsford sports.

His take lately on McDonough and Klimovich.

Yeah i gotta say it's turning into a rough year for some of the higher profile prospects down on the farm. Both those guys have really struggled to make their mark, Ratu and Podz have shown real high spots, but lots of inconsistency. Even Silovs doesn't look as solid this year, for me Tolopilo has had the better performances, but i have only seen < 50% of games. 

Klim has had his injury issues and yeah McDonough hasn't managed to adapt successfully to the speed and strength of the pro game - the skill is there to see at times tho.  A lot will depend on how he responds this summer.

The 'older' prospects like Woo, Bains Karlson have been really good - but not to the point where they are trusted on the big team as yet, tho with the Canucks playing at such a high level and having good luck with injuries I'm not sure how concerning that is. It also might change now they may be hitting a bit of a skid with some more key players out.  

The Abby team is going through a bit of a struggle right now, and I think the coaching staff are trying to spark some things. Tho i do think its fair to question some of the deployment and development of these guys who we have big hopes for at least bottom pair upside.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Linus Karlsson with 4 points in the last 2 games and in on every goal.  Nice to see.  Hoping he can do something the next time he gets called up…

Needs to play up the lineup with the big team, though.  He's not a 4th line guy ... would be like asking Boeser to play an "energy/checking" role - prolly ineffective and a waste of talent

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Needs to play up the lineup with the big team, though.  He's not a 4th line guy ... would be like asking Boeser to play an "energy/checking" role - prolly ineffective and a waste of talent

I agree.  They gave Bains a chance in the top 6.  They should give Karlsson the same chance as well...