2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

13 hours ago, CaptainQuin said:

Anyone been keeping tabs on Johansonn this year ?

watching last nights highlights , he looked really good quarterbacking the PP

To start the year I wasn't impressed at all on him. Last year either. Very weak on the boards, timid, shying away from contact. 

He got injured this year and was out a while. But since coming back from injury I have to say he's been very effective. He's getting power play time now because Wolanin is still out. And his creativity is showing there.

Defensively he's still not great but is getting better. I really don't see and NHL defensemen here unfortunately. I could be wrong tho. I have been lots lol. I'm just not seeing it. He's just so late in his development curve. It might not happen for him contract wise. Especially if he can't stay healthy or take the abuse on the smaller ice. But i'll give him props, this right now is the best i've seen him play since coming to the team and that itself in incouraging.

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, Googlie said:

WOW  ...  just  WOW

Abby outshot 45 to 12 in a 3-2 loss to the Moose

I have been less than impressed by the way the team has been playing for some time now. I'm just not seeing much improvement in a number of the teams prospects.

Raty having another monster game ... a goal and 2 assists as Abby now leads 5-2 halfway thru the second

Edited by Googlie
Final score 5-2, Raty awarded another assist so finishes 1 & 3, First Star. Sawchenko gets the win
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Was this Wolanin's first game back?  I see he scored already.

It was his first game back.

This team plays so differently when he’s in the lineup.

All the D slot back into their normal spots.

No one is playing above their head.

Great news, we need Woly for the calder cup push!

• Like 1

Pretty exciting news.

I'm visiting my dad out in Fort Langley beginning of April. I'm going to my first ever Abby Canucks game on Apr 3rd against the moose. It would be sweet if Lekerimaki and D Petey get into that game. I had no idea Lek was coming to north america for a month when I bought the tickets, so i'm excited to hopefully see them in some game action! 

I have a few players I want to watch closely, but if anyone has anyone particular not on my list let me know.

My list:

- Raty, will be watching foot speed, positioning, and try to keep track of face off wins if he takes them.

- Woo, will be watching his d zone coverage/awareness, and aggressiveness in the corners and puck battles.

- Lek (if possible) will just lightly watch him and not take it too serious and not get overly critical

- D Petey (if possible) same as above

- Zlodeev (if he is on the roster that game) Just watching his overall game, very curious about him

I'll also just be paying attention in general to players who just "catch" my eye as well. Sasson and Nielsen are the players that come to mine that will probably impress me more that i've already seen of them. Maybe McDonough too.

• Cheers 2

Does Abby's radio guy not travel with the team? He's got a voice like fingernails on a chalkboard, but at least he gets the Canucks player's names into the broadcast. I'm listening to Colorado's broadcast, and it's awful. The PXP announcer is what we used to call in Top-40 radio as a puker, and his color guy sounds like he took too many hits to the head before helmets became mandatory.

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Sasson. Karlsson and Raty each with a goal and an assist as Abby leads 3-1 with 5 mins left in the game.

Lekkerimaki and D-Petey both playing.

I was just going to ask for the goal scorers, presto!