2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

11 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Another big win against Calgary tonight 

3-1

Glover, Nielsen, and Karlsson scored.

It’s gonna be tight unfortunately to get home ice advantage. Right now we are lined up to play Colorado in the first round 3 game series. And if they get home ice the first 2 games are played there. Hopefully we can jump them in the standings and get home ice.

Next weekend are the final 2 games of the season, back to back again against the Wranglers

Unfortunately all three games would be in Colorado. We are up 2 points on them but they have three games in hand on Abby.

2 hours ago, Fen1010 said:

Unfortunately all three games would be in Colorado. We are up 2 points on them but they have three games in hand on Abby.

Shoot your right!

I thought game 3 was played at the other teams rink. You’re right 3 game series stays in 1 barn.

My hope is the Eagles drop a few games and we launch over them for home ice.

Both our past pre seasons we’ve been swept and didn’t have home ice advantage. Both times I paid for a playoff package and didn’t get any enjoyment out of it lol

Hope this year is different. If they lose again I may not purchase a playoff package again until I know they are past the 1st round, waste of money imo if you only get 2 or 3 games

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wondering what the plan is going forward in Abby. I find it odd when they have a lot of defencemen they just signed another.

Are they letting go of some players?

Isn’t there an age restriction on players. A club can only have so many over a certain age or something like that? 

49 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Shoot your right!

I thought game 3 was played at the other teams rink. You’re right 3 game series stays in 1 barn.

My hope is the Eagles drop a few games and we launch over them for home ice.

Both our past pre seasons we’ve been swept and didn’t have home ice advantage. Both times I paid for a playoff package and didn’t get any enjoyment out of it lol

Hope this year is different. If they lose again I may not purchase a playoff package again until I know they are past the 1st round, waste of money imo if you only get 2 or 3 games

I hope they do manage to get home ice.  But are you sure about getting swept last year?  I know year one they were swept by Bakersfield.  Year Two they had home ice and returned the favor  and swept Bakersfield then lost in round 2 to Calgary?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t there an age restriction on players. A club can only have so many over a certain age or something like that? 

AHL's Development Rule

Of the 18 skaters (not counting the two goaltenders) the team can dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players". Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional regular season games (AHL, NHL or any European elite league*), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional regular season games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals before the start of the current season. Pro games in Europe while player is junior aged won't count.

Since 2020-21, players that are not age 25 by July 1st before the season, will be exempted from veteran status.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wondering what the plan is going forward in Abby. I find it odd when they have a lot of defencemen they just signed another.

Are they letting go of some players?

Woo is likely out long term, I haven't read a status update on him, but I imagine that is it - and they wanna good run this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Woo is likely out long term, I haven't read a status update on him, but I imagine that is it - and they wanna good run this year.

Woo and McWard are still out.

Our RD side is pretty thin right now aside for Johanssen.

This new guy is a lefty…so depth by the looks if it.

They’ve been playing 7 D for the last several games. Quick shifting D Petey and Mynio on the ice. 

So that may be coming to an end soon as they have looked ok but definitely need refinement. They may not see them as proper depth options come playoffs. And will probably watch from the press box and just enjoy the ride/practice with the team.

1 hour ago, Fen1010 said:

I hope they do manage to get home ice.  But are you sure about getting swept last year?  I know year one they were swept by Bakersfield.  Year Two they had home ice and returned the favor  and swept Bakersfield then lost in round 2 to Calgary?

Yup my memory is failing me again lol.

I just remember my anger from last season. I really thought they were going further. But Calgary had such a good team last year. Dustin Wolf was the main reason.

Thx for the correction 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I would imagine a couple will be called up as black aces to join Juulsen and Friedman - maybe McWard and Hirose - once roster expansion is allowed

20 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I would imagine a couple will be called up as black aces to join Juulsen and Friedman - maybe McWard and Hirose - once roster expansion is allowed

Maybe? But do we want to weaken the Abbotsford club that much? 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe? But do we want to weaken the Abbotsford club that much? 

Staying would be:

Wolanin

Irwin

Brisebois 

Cicek

Johansson

Pettersson 

Mynio

Kudryatzev

Fenton

All on Canucks payroll

Plus, on AHL contracts:

Kannock-Leipert

And now, Arntsen

11 seems like enough, given that a SC winning team typically uses 12 over their cup run

3rd straight win vs Wranglers ... 4 - 3 in overtime.

Silovs with the win.  Dries, Karlsson and Wolanin all with a goal and an assist.  For Dries his 29th.  McDonough the other goal scorer.

Edited by Googlie
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

3rd straight win vs Wranglers ... 4 - 3 in overtime.

Silovs with the win.  Dries, Karlsson and Wolanin all with a goal and an assist.  For Dries his 29th.  McDonough the other goal scorer.

Another great game. 

Colorado plays the Reign for their final 2 games. If we win and they lose both their games we get home ice advantage! Wouldn’t that be sweet.

Reign are a tough team so it could happen. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Abby Nucks play a damn entertaining brand of hockey. I love the work effort.

Sasson is fast .. Great pass by Bains .. what imagination from Dries for his faceoff goal.... Karlsson's ready for the big show... why isn't Wolanin playing in the NHL?

Great game.  Silovs rocked!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Sasson is fast .. Great pass by Bains .. what imagination from Dries for his faceoff goal.... Karlsson's ready for the big show... why isn't Wolanin playing in the NHL?

Great game.  Silovs rocked!!

I really hope Wollanin gets a shot, he works his tail off. Irwin with the fantastic hit. Still shows the old dog has hockey left in him.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

Early 3rd, tied at 2. Abby w/2 quick ones late in 2nd p to tie it up.  Just turned on the radio feed.

Abby wins to SWEEEP calgary 4 straight, completing the regular sched

It was an awesome goal by Bains too for the winner. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1