[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

I'm the opposite. We gotta start getting to the playoffs. You really think Hughes and Pettersson are gonna want to stick around and wait for us to figure things out? Take advantage of the next couple of years while the rest of the division besides us, Vegas and LA are in a tailspin. 

If the Canucks are going to go all out then they should go after a defenceman like Pesce.

Now that would make our defensive core one of the best in the league.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

I'm the opposite. We gotta start getting to the playoffs. You really think Hughes and Pettersson are gonna want to stick around and wait for us to figure things out? Take advantage of the next couple of years while the rest of the division besides us, Vegas and LA are in a tailspin. 

Every player in the league knows that it takes time to build a winner. Hughes is locked up for 3 more years past this one and just saw the Canucks last summer, commit to him as the core of team leadership by making him captain as well as bringing in someone who he has stated is the best player he's ever played D with.

Pettersson wants to win and we are off to the best start in team history. He has stated, publicly, that he likes it here and wants to win. He has seen this management group push spending to the maximum level and commit and deliver on changing team culture and show that they will do whatever is necessary to support him and the rest of the core in being successful on the ice and giving them every opportunity to succeed.

I don't see him wanting to go ANYWHERE! He will get paid though, and right now, I'd say that looks like 11 Million + on his next contract.

Changing teams doesn't mean automatic success and all players understand that. What we have here, is what all of them want! Willingness to commit to the right players and to go and get this right players.

The trade of Horvat to NYI was a slam dunk for us and probably for NYI as well. They didn't have exactly what we needed in players, but they gave us the assets to go somewhere else and get what we needed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pesce isn't available, he plays on a Stanley Cup contender...

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

If the Canucks are going to go all out then they should go after a defenceman like Pesce.

Now that would make our defensive core one of the best in the league.

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

I think we’ll make the playoffs this year and if the team is still playing even close to this pace at the trade deadline I’ll agree. To me that’s the time to evaluate and see if you want to go all in and overpay.

But if PA thinks the time is now I’ll still be happy to have him. You can’t teach size and grit, similar to my argument back in the Tryamkin days but I’d still prefer to overpay for someone of the quality of @J-23’s suggestion.

• Like 1

I don't see Calgary letting this request sit and wait. If they have any interest in salvaging their season, they can't afford distractions like this.

They need to move Zadorov and move on. They are really only 3 points behind St Louis for the last playoff spot. They need another D in the trade and they need to improve their middle 6, both of which I proposed in the proposal that I put forward earlier on.

The longer this goes, the more guys will want to leave.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pesce isn't available, he plays on a Stanley Cup contender...

Everyone is available because Pesce is on a contender that hasn’t gotten it done in the playoffs ( as in winning the cup) they’ve been contending for past 5-6 years…. So yeah everyone is available if the price and need fits for that given team 

Go Canucks!

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I think we’ll make the playoffs this year and if the team is still playing even close to this pace at the trade deadline I’ll agree. To me that’s the time to evaluate and see if you want to go all in and overpay.

But if PA thinks the time is now I’ll still be happy to have him. You can’t teach size and grit, similar to my argument back in the Tryamkin days but I’d still prefer to overpay for someone of the quality of @J-23’s suggestion.

I think as of right now I'd be willing to trade pretty much any prospect besides Brustewicz/Willander/Raty. We're one more defenseman and impact forward away from really being considered a serious threat. 

Edited by Pears
typo
  • Cheers 1

Flames fans love this guy and hate to see him leave. Some fans even want to rebuild the team around him. I think that says a lot about him. Canucks management like him too. He has a desire to win and called his team out for under performing. I like his competitiveness and size. He is an upgrade over Tyler Myers. If we can unload Myers I could see a situation where one of him or Cole is on the second pairing right side. 

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Wow...lots of crazy stuff being proposed. I like the idea of adding the physical element of Zadorov, but only #1 if he will re-sign at a reasonable rate and #2, we don't over mortgage future for right now. Friedman has been okay, but he's playing sheltered minutes, we really need someone who can handle 16 - 18 minutes per night.

I would offer up:

To Vancouver:

Zadorov

2025 6th round pick

To Calgary:

Beauvillier - 1.1 million retained

Friedman - They need another NHL ready D

McDonough - I don't think this kid works in bottom 6 and I don't think he has the foot speed to play top 6, just my opinion

2023 4th, ours or NJ's, whichever is higher

With that, Calgary gets a LD/RD who can fill in for them through the rest of the season and can flip at the deadline for a late round pick

They get a middle 6 guy who is capable of putting up points who they can try and re-sign or flip at the deadline with additional retained for a 2nd round pick.

They get a B level prospect who has a cannon for a shot who they can work on developing into a rounded middle six player, but I really don't see that opening for McDonough here in Vancouver.

Calgary loses a few thousand of their LTIR relief fund (less then 100k), and Vancouver gains roughly the same.

I would only do this deal if Zadorov has already agreed to an extension in the 4.5 - 4.75 million range for 3 years.

I don't see any team trading for him this far from the deadline, unless they have a deal in place to re-sign him. 

IMO, this is a pretty fair deal for everyone. Zadorov doesn't have trade protection, but the fact that he can say yes or no to signing an extension for a team, does give him some control on who will buy on him.

Thoughts?

Makes sense to me.
This is the type of trade I would agree to but guessing that after seeing the others made here I’m thinking we are going to get laughed at.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Not really on the Zadorov boat. He plays mostly in the offensive zone, somehow very rarely blocks shots, even though he's 6'5" has a significantly bad giveaway/takeaway ratio (even for a defenseman), takes way more penalties than he draws (again, high even compared to his defensemen peers, plays a little on the PK and is okay there. He has good puck possession numbers, I will grant you that, but like I said, his OZS% is very high, at 61.5%.

His only significant redeeming quality is hitting a lot. He's just Gudbranson 2.0. Not worth paying for. 

Exactly!

If we’re trading for another top 4 they have to be a well rounded player not just one that’s big and hits alot.

Hold out for Brett Pesce or Connor Murphy!

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

With how well we're doing now, do we really want to give up assets, potentially screw up our chemistry, and risk him walking away during UFA? He would be nice on the blueline, no doubt, and it sounds like he's really passionate for the game. He and Tocchet would get along I feel. Fingers crossed he's still available during UFA.

27 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This is not a TDL team in my opinion. PA has done an excellent job at building 3/4line depth character players, with some having the ability to play pup if required bc of injury (Garland, Hogs, etc). What we need to do is secure long term pieces of the right age in long term contracts. Right now, that’s a 2nd pair Dman. If I were PA, I’d be willing to trade an asset (draft pick) + roster player for cap (ie. Beau) to fast fwd a long term sol’n. IFhe thinks that guy is Zadorov..do it…Someone else.. do it. He has shown that he and his pro scouting team are excellent so far.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Whatever we do, just don’t trade Brzustewicz.

He’s quite probably our best prospect right now. Even more so than Willander. 

I wouldn’t trade prospects….really trade picks. The depth that they offer/soon will offer coincides with the timing of this team. Brz or Lekker will be competing for the 3rd line spots next year.

• Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Calgary having trouble signing people could Zadorov with the idea of an extension make sense for a Garland swap? Or are people going to try Beauvillier, b prospect like Woo and a 3rd round pick? Would that even be enough to get it done? Seems like too many meh pieces.

2nd opinion is my offer. Garland is playing very well in that 3rd line role and generating points. The 3rd rounder + Beau + a densive depth/prospect is my offer….if not, talk to you in July Zadorov.

I don’t think we need to make any deals until closer to trade deadline. The team is rolling as is, let’s see if and when we face adversity how the team responds to it and address the needs accordingly. Right now let other GMs make mistakes because as we sit right now on top we are rolling just fine with the Tocchet Stapler.

let’s kick the shit out of TO tonight and staple them to the mid pack of league. 

Go Canucks 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Makes sense to me.
This is the type of trade I would agree to but guessing that after seeing the others made here I’m thinking we are going to get laughed at.

If I look at what Ottawa paid for Chychrun who was on a reasonable contract and would be an RFA at the end and just coming into his prime. 1st, top 5 protected, and a pair of 2nd's, my offer should be in the range.

Everything that fans are posting here is pure speculation. No one will know what is really being offered and our fans, typically, place value much higher on guys that we are trying to acquire, than on guys who are actually on our team.

If he is re-signed in the range I suggested, that's realistic value. If We want to splurge a little more, then give them a 2026 3rd or 4th as well if it closes it. The big question here is, is Calgary ready and willing to sell and write off their season?

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

With how well we're doing now, do we really want to give up assets, potentially screw up our chemistry, and risk him walking away during UFA? He would be nice on the blueline, no doubt, and it sounds like he's really passionate for the game. He and Tocchet would get along I feel. Fingers crossed he's still available during UFA.

And there is the Gonchar factor. 

But... I'm not selling the farm for this guy. He's no savior. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Zadarov would be an offseason acquisition in my books. If we don't bring back Cole. We need a RHD anyway, I know fans always bring up Soucy, Cole and apparently Hughes being able to play both sides. But the coaching staff doesn't like doing that. Tocchet even outright said as much. Also from what I hear Calgary is in 0 rush to make a deal. So they're likely gunning for the max return they can get. And given we're a divisional rival the asking price was already going to be high.

• Like 2