[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly!

If we’re trading for another top 4 they have to be a well rounded player not just one that’s big and hits alot.

Hold out for Brett Pesce or Connor Murphy!

Hold out means what?

wait for them to be UFA?

wait for their respective teams to post them to trade block?

and if you think there’s the possibility of Pesce (whom I’d prefer) what do you think acquisition cost is and then salary and term expectation on any extension?  I think it could/might be surprising to witness what he may be able to command as a UFA.  I’d say around 8mill. Is that in our wheelhouse, and for preferred age demo? 

I would love for us to have a Zadorov TYPE, but I’m also reluctant to give up too much for Zadorov. If he goes to UFA sure thing let’s pursue it, but aside from what I’ve posted previously I wouldn’t give too much to a division rival to facilitate a trade. I also don’t know if we’re the preferred destination as we can’t offer him the top line minutes he/his agent are communicating they want. TOR can though and that’s where my best guess is where he ends up.

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

He's pretty good.   For sure an upgrade and provides us depth which of course we will need.  Comes down to the cost.   Beau would need to go the other way ... Although maybe not with retention.    A trade and sign does plug a big hole for us.   Our D goes from very good (right now), to great.   Wins cups.    NYR made a dozen trades in 94 despite already being the best team in the NHL two years in a row.    I don't mind trading futures (De-Smith) to continue the cause.    Zadarov is a rental, treat him as such what is he actually worth?   50% retained to a contender...

Yes spot on.... 

Would hate to see DeSmith go the other way...  But yes agree, we've got to strike, while the iron is hot....

Will he re-sign with us, can we afford to re-sign him etc. can be dealt with come spring or at a later stage, but we need to go full tilt for it... 

Getting him as FA in the summer might be all good and dandy, but if Petey gets an injury or doesn't't want to stay, this forcing trade, it worthless getting him at that stage.... Go for it as long as we don't sell out future...

Zadorov shouldn’t be traded from Calgary as a top 4 D man, as he doesn't play those minutes..

Thats not to knock his potential at 27yrs.

There is another ceiling this player is trying to get to, he gets treated differently because of his size .

The bigger opportunity exists for him in Vancouver , especially with the Coaching staff , Tochett, Gonchar , Foote.

The probability of Cole and Myers not here next season is real.

Grabbing Zadorov, and signing him close to the same money for 3-4 years , helps us turn a corner this season, and prepares us for what might lay ahead.

I can see this trade happening with Hirose and Beauviller,  it’s almost a slam for Calgary.

im against trading Friedman,  who fits in perfectly with whoever partner he has, and he is fearless.

Calgary is going to fold the rest of the season ,  Zadorov has exposed a disconnect on the team.

His outspokenness is something management will want to move from..

it won’t be a big deal as long as they get a good prospect and something they can use now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

From Flames Nation - I would take that deal (given that there is a high chance the team could extend Zadorov):

Proposed Trade

To Vancouver: Nikita Zadorov

To Calgary: Anthony Beauvillier, Jett Woo, 2024 Third-Round Pick, 2025 Second-Round Pick

I'd be happy with this. I don't think the leaves or NJ can match this. 

AB might actually be helpful for their top 6. 

14 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

From Flames Nation - I would take that deal (given that there is a high chance the team could extend Zadorov):

Proposed Trade

To Calgary: Anthony Beauvillier, Jett Woo, 2024 Third-Round Pick, 2025 Second-Round Pick

Remove the 2nd. They can recoup a pick at TDL for Beau.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Proposed Trade

I would do that in a heartbeat, I just worry we can afford Zadorov with Petey and Hronek playing so well. Rather have Tanev for cheaper and I think he would resign for half the price. Buy us time till Willander is ready. But man Zadorov is exactly what we need. Wish he was RHD though. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wow people are overvalueing Zadorov. He'd be a good bottom 4D add but he's not going to fetch what some think.

My guess is Beauvilier alone would probably fetch him. He's worth a 2nd + roght now and thats it.

2nd + Wolanin

BeauV does not get you Zadorov on any planet.. Beau, 2nd 2024 maybe 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I would do that in a heartbeat, I just worry we can afford Zadorov with Petey and Hronek playing so well. Rather have Tanev for cheaper and I think he would resign for half the price. Buy us time till Willander is ready. But man Zadorov is exactly what we need. Wish he was RHD though. 

IMHO it would definitely have to be on the basis or understanding (Milstein) that a 4 year x $4/4.5M deal is possible. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Master Mind said:

People really overrating Zadorov, likely because of his size. Calling him big Z? 😆 He's nowhere near Chara's level.

Absolutely should not be spending premium assets on a bottom pair D, especially one who is a rental.

I wonder if folks would be gushing about him if he weren't big, Russian, and a Millstein client. We don't need to be a Russian boys club any more than we need to be a Swedish one. 

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not really on the Zadorov boat. He plays mostly in the offensive zone, somehow very rarely blocks shots, even though he's 6'6", has a significantly bad giveaway/takeaway ratio (even for a defenseman), takes way more penalties than he draws (again, high even compared to his defensemen peers), and plays a little on the PK and is okay there. He has good puck possession numbers, I will grant you that, but like I said, his OZS% is very high, at 61.5%.

His only significant redeeming quality is hitting a lot. He's just Gudbranson 2.0. Not worth paying for. 

If we want a Gudbranson it'd probably be cheaper to just trade for Gudbranson in both terms of trade and cap costs. 

Toronto or Jersey can have him.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not really on the Zadorov boat. He plays mostly in the offensive zone, somehow very rarely blocks shots, even though he's 6'6", has a significantly bad giveaway/takeaway ratio (even for a defenseman), takes way more penalties than he draws (again, high even compared to his defensemen peers), and plays a little on the PK and is okay there. He has good puck possession numbers, I will grant you that, but like I said, his OZS% is very high, at 61.5%.

His only significant redeeming quality is hitting a lot. He's just Gudbranson 2.0. Not worth paying for. 

This isn't true.  His career average is almost 50% in the dzone, Calgary just hasn't bothered to put him in that role.  In Colorado, they used to play him up to 57% in the dzone.  

Not sure what you mean by rarely blocking shots either.  He's averaged over one block per game for his entire career.  Zadorov is 6'6" 250 pounds, it's not like it's easy for him to go down and block a shot.

He doesn't play a little on the PK either.  He played almost 180 minutes last year on the PK.  That's almost the same as Ian Cole when he was with Carolina.

Every team deploys their Dmen differently.  If you bring Zadorov into Vancouver, then I am sure Foote and Gonchar will turn him into a defensive beast.  Having said that, Zadorov is a nice little point producer as well, he has a good shot from the point, so he can also do damage in the offensive zone.

At the end of the day, 6'6" 250 pound defencemen don't grow on trees.  I am sure Allvin is trying hard to get him now, no point in waiting like some people suggest.  This is our year to do some major damage in the playoffs...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This isn't true.  His career average is almost 50% in the dzone, Calgary just hasn't bothered to put him in that role.  In Colorado, they used to play him up to 57% in the dzone.  

Not sure what you mean by rarely blocking shots either.  He's averaged over one block per game for his entire career.  Zadorov is 6'6" 250 pounds, it's not like it's easy for him to go down and block a shot.

He doesn't play a little on the PK either.  He played almost 180 minutes last year on the PK.  That's almost the same as Ian Cole when he was with Carolina.

Every team deploys their Dmen differently.  If you bring Zadorov into Vancouver, then I am sure Foote and Gonchar will turn him into a defensive beast.  Having said that, Zadorov is a nice little point producer as well, he has a good shot from the point, so he can also do damage in the offensive zone.

At the end of the day, 6'6" 250 pound defencemen don't grow on trees.  I am sure Allvin is trying hard to get him now, no point in waiting like some people suggest.  This is our year to do some major damage in the playoffs...

You're using almost 3-year old data if you rely on Avalanche data, but let's roll with it anyway.

The Avalanche played him in a defensive role, and his points were lower, which is understandable, but it's worthy of note that we can't expect him to get 20+ points like he has in Calgary if he's played in a defensive role.

Looking at his last two years in Colorado (because before that, the data gets so old, it's almost irrelevant), his giveaways and takeaways were more acceptable.

He's still not blocking many shots at 133 blocks in 134 games. I'm not sure how much you've looked at blocked shots, but the vast majority of defensemen block well over a shot per game, so just barely getting about a shot per game is not impressive and is in fact, downright bad. Of all seven Avalanche defensemen to play at least 70 games in those two years combined, he has the lowest blocked shots-per-game of any of them.

In those past two years, his OZS% was 49.9% and his Corsi was 50.0%, so average.

Again, his net penalties per 60 was -1.00, the worst of all seven defensemen. This guy is a penalty-taking machine. Like in Calgary, he was a 2nd unit PK guy in Colorado for those last two years and was decent, but on the lower end of effectiveness relative to his other defenseman teammates like Nemeth, Johnson, and Graves.

I really think the era of going hard after a guy because he's big is long gone. Guys like Myers, Gudbranson, Bogosian, etc simply don't thrive anymore. Big guys who do succeed like Hedman do so because they bring more to the table than simply being a big, strong player. Zadorov brings size and physicality, but nothing else. I'm convinced he's probably a 4/5 at best and too slow to keep up with the speed of the current NHL. This is just Tryamkin all over again. People stuck in the past, drooling for players that would've been great in 2002, but can't play the modern game.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2