[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Toronto media says that about everyone.

TO doesn't have the cap options to get him unless they are willing to do something stupid like trade Nylander .

Yupp, According to Toronto media, Kane is a good fit for them.You know since they have all the cap in the world..And I'm not even making this shit up. They said that!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I would love to bring in Andersson, but I honestly don't think we have to assets for it. I'm not convinced Calgary is ready to rebuild and with Andersson still having some term they would be looking for a good roster player in return. Petey, Hughes, and Demko are obviously all off the table which basically leaves Miller and Hronek. Swapping Hronek for Andersson doesn't really make sense so now it just Miller. Something like Miller for Andersson and Sharangovich (2C upside) might work, but that's a big price to pay. Also might be able to do Miller + a 1st for Lindholm + Andersson but then you have to start worrying about team chemistry.

On the other hand, if they for some reason want a scoring winger, Boeser's resurgence might appeal to them and Boeser + a 2nd for Andersson might work. I don't think they want scoring wingers though.

Oh I agree they're unlikely to move Andersson... But I don't think he'd cost much more than Hanifin and if we're spending that much already, I'd prefer to just get Andersson.

And no, I don't think we'd be moving Miller, Hronek etc.

Garland, Brzustewicz, maybe a guy like Woo or Johansson, a first... +/-

• Cheers 1

IMO, Zadorov fits our long-term needs better than Tanev, he's younger and would make our defense more abrasive.  Would be absolutely thrilled though to have Tanev back, if that's how it plays out.

To Calgary:

Beauvillier

Friedman

4th round pick

To Vancouver

Tanev straight up

or Zadorov and we retain 1 million on Beauvillier to make cap numbers work.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

1st + Hunter Brzustewicz + Beauvillier to Panthers for Ekblad.  They can parlay the first in a package for Hanafin.

Sign Zadorov in UFA

Hughes - Ekblad

Zadorov - Hronek

Soucy - Cole

I'd be a lot more interested in Ekblad than Zadorov, dude is in a different tier. Caveat is it's unlikely and Ekblad hasn't played yet this season as he's been hurt, Ekblad controls his destiny with a NMC and it seems unlikely that a Florida team who just went to the final would move him.

Once him and Montour are back teams will have to look out for the cats. Montour starting the season hurt may actually help Florida get his next contract down. 

I think the only way Ekblad gets moved is if Florida knows he's not going to extend. 

• Cheers 3

I am not 100% sure I would want Zadorov here. 

He is a left handed shot, and he is -6 with 5 points in 13 games. he has been on the ice for almost a goal against per game he has been in..averaging 18 minutes...just doing quick match, three goals against while he is on the ice per 60m. give or take. 

not sure if he wants out of a problem club or if he is part of the problem on the club. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am not 100% sure I would want Zadorov here. 

He is a left handed shot, and he is -6 with 5 points in 13 games. he has been on the ice for almost a goal against per game he has been in..averaging 18 minutes...just doing quick match, three goals against while he is on the ice per 60m. give or take. 

not sure if he wants out of a problem club or if he is part of the problem on the club. 

How has CGY performed as a whole though? 
That has relative impact on negative stats per player. 
Zadorov isn’t the ultimate solution but as a flexible piece on this defence corps he could offer quite a lot to the club.  He does have deficiencies but for a player his size and style, it could be argued that those are even out in contrast to what else he can provide. 

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

How has CGY performed as a whole though? 
That has relative impact on negative stats per player. 
Zadorov isn’t the ultimate solution but as a flexible piece on this defence corps he could offer quite a lot to the club.  He does have deficiencies but for a player his size and style, it could be argued that those are even out in contrast to what else he can provide. 

Might be an upgrade on our current skyscraper but I am not sold on it yet. Maybe if we swap the two directly and retain some of Meyers, they both expire at the end of this year, so even then are we gaining anything valueable?

14 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Might be an upgrade on our current skyscraper but I am not sold on it yet. Maybe if we swap the two directly and retain some of Meyers, they both expire at the end of this year, so even then are we gaining anything valueable?

I understand, but I think generally this mgmt team isn’t trading any value assets unless it means the following:

-receiving a player in return that has no legit longterm placement on the roster except to create offseason cap space with an expiry contract 

or

-receiving a player that actually fits a need longterm and can slot into one of the positions/tiers that not only replaces an expiry contract/player but is also an upgrade in that area

i believe Zadorov could be the latter, which is great because it enables us potentially a better shot at playoffs, arguably stronger overall NHL quality Dcorps and depth, and equally as important some flexibility on the back end in terms of having a guy who can play both L+R D, regardless of hand and RT’s tendencies, increases our grit and skill, has an agent that is on great terms with mgmt, who this team is rostering a couple of his clients already and are enjoying a successful, emerging campaign, and can likely more easily broker a favourable deal with us.

The pros are stronger than the cons.

i just don’t see mgmt engaging a pricey trade scenario unless it brings us back a player who’s skill set and presence we need and whom can potentially be extended to remain on this roster for the next 2-3 seasons. 
They also have to be an RT style guy or the trade is redundant. I don’t see rentals (for now at least) being in the mindset of mgmt unless they have a specific target in mind in UFA or by trade and need all the cap space they can muster to facilitate it and also cover salary increases.

if we get to UFA status on any of the top RHD available, we wi be paying through the nose and in heavy competition to obtain any negotiation leverage to begin with. The one thing going for us is a position will be open on either our top D line with QH or 2nd line with FH if that pair is split. If not, you’re guaranteed 2nd pairing TOI which means you’ll be considered a #3 Dman. That’s great for the player and agent as optically wr have few other options. But are other teams offering more TOI and a better tax rate and/or stronger chance at playoffs? There’s an inherently strong risk entering the UFA sweepstakes that we won’t get our man.

Soucy or any other option will not be supplanting that 2nd line D open spot. There may be rotation in and out of 1st but if the QH FH combo remains intact, then our best bet is find a legit 2nd pairing RHD to maintain cap structure with respect to price point.

As such, our problem comes down to this:

in UFA we either will have to pay a 1st line salary for a player who will likely play a 2nd line role more often than not, or do you jump the shark and obtain someone now whom you have a chance to negotiate term with, sign, and go into the offseason having a more clearly identified lineup and cap structure to work with in terms of any roster management or improvements. 
this mitigates some risk. 

If we gamble on adding an asset in Free Agency, we can’t afford to miss out on our targets. Cole and Myers could be gone and although they aren’t the be all end all by any means, their vacancies create a sizeable hole on the backend. I don’t want to see Soucy elevated into a 2nd pairing role, nor Friedman, nor any Abby assets as of yet. To keep the train chugging along, we need at least 1 more legit NHL body who has experience in a top 4 role and we need them prior to or at TDL this season especially if we’re making a run for playoffs. 

Imho, Zadorov is the best fit for us in these capacities right now, and especially at this point in the season and prior to any injuries on the back end.

That said, I don’t want us giving up much to CGY to obtain him. I’m hopeful CGY goes into a tailspin and tanks the season and a 3way trade  emerges whereby we give up the minimal requirements to a club who sends their assets to CGY and we receive theirs. I know it sounds petty, but if we gave up a nice juicy draft pick to CGY and that player turned out to haunt us for the next 10 years, it would suck. I could survive it if Zadorov became a valuable piece to our success, but I’m selfish in that I want CGY bettering us and not us improving them haha.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Here’s a link to potential upcoming UFA Dmen. There are some options listed there as of now, but some will be extended or traded/extended by the time we get to TDL or Free Agency. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2024/defenseman/ufa/

Aside from Zadorov, Pesce, Montour, Skjei, Forsling and Grzelcyk (i mention those who fit within our age demo)m and who fit into longterm planning) the vast majority of the rest are likely 3rd pairing options or not the type of investment we are expected to make.  My bet is that 3-4 of the names mentioned above are off the market by or at TDL, which lessens are options significantly in the offseason. 

the only thing I can see is mgmt identifying about her couple value vet Dmen to flesh out our D corps in the interim while we continue to suss out options.  

Barring any other trades or signings (Bear) my choice for now and future is Zadorov. We just shouldnt be going into next Free Agency with too many holes on the backend unless some  trades are brewing and that’s how we intend to fill. Question is then, what are we giving up and whom could we be targeting?

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Looks good to me. I would also like to add Tanev, a good placeholder for the next year or two until Willander is ready to go. I like the way management has planned for the future with our defensive core. This is how I would hope it goes.

24/25

Hughes - Tanev, Hronek

Zadorov - Hronek, Tanev

Soucy - Cole, McWard, Woo

25/26

Hughes - Hronek, Tanev

Zadorov - Tanev, Hronek

Soucy - McWard, Cole, Willander, Woo, Hunter

26/27

Hughes - Hronek, Willander

Zadorov - Hronek, Willander

Pettersson - McWard, Tanev, Hunter, Woo

I kind of see Cole and Tanev in the same light now; only need one. We will always need one of our young guys in the 6 to keep costs down and to get them NHL exp; like Hague in LV last year. Our depth (#7) guys are just that; depth

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Bertuzzi has a NMC. Why would he waive to go to Cowtown? 

I stand corrected, Bertuzzi might not be the right trade chip. 

Seems CGY is willing to take draft picks and prospects in return. Any chance it's Podkolzin+ for Zadorov? 

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Seems CGY is willing to take draft picks and prospects in return. Any chance it's Podkolzin+ for Zadorov? 

Man I hope not, I really think Podz is going to be a quality player.

It's has to be Beau or Garland going back for cap space, plus some prospects but Podz is too high a price imo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's has to be Beau or Garland going back for cap space, plus some prospects but Podz is too high a price imo.

Yes, me too, I wouldn't like seeing Podz in a Flames jersey. If Zadorov was a RD, then maybe that would help. 

Hughes

Cole

Soucy

Hirose

Wolanin

Irwin

Canucks have plenty of L-shot D, so I don't get that, unless they move Cole to the right side:

Then they still want Bear. Can they do both? 

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Cole

Soucy - Myers

Bear

Friedman 

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Podz not getting traded for Zadorov. 

Not a chance. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

34 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Article on the athletic somewhat agreed with me - said Zadorov would be worth about what Schenn got us last year (a 3rd.)

FWIW I think I had Tanev for a 3rd and him going for a 2nd. 

Flames fans (understandably) did not agree. 😁

Have to send cap their way to make it work.

Beau would fetch them a 3rd at the deadline I would guess. So essentially two 3rd round picks.

I think that’s fair for Tanev. He’s a pending UFA and not the player he once was.

• Huggy Bear 1

36 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Article on the athletic somewhat agreed with me - said Zadorov would be worth about what Schenn got us last year (a 3rd.)

FWIW I think I had Tanev for a 3rd and him going for a 2nd. 

Flames fans (understandably) did not agree. 😁

3rd, Beauvillier for Tanev.

2nd for Zadorov? 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Have to send cap their way to make it work.

Beau would fetch them a 3rd at the deadline I would guess. So essentially two 3rd round picks.

I think that’s fair for Tanev. He’s a pending UFA and not the player he once was.

9 minutes ago, J-23 said:

3rd, Beauvillier for Tanev.

2nd for Zadorov? 

That’s what I see, but who knows?

Calgary will be hoping for a bit of a bidding war and then anything can happen. 

They’re kind of like us with Hanifin, Andersson and Weegar being a clear top 3… and Zadorov Tanev playing 18-19 minutes a night and their #6 playing low teens. 

The top 3 names I could see returning a 1st (and more especially for Hanifin and Andersson) but right now Tanev, Zadorov are playing 4-5 on a bad team. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

I don’t think Toronto has a “right” trade chip availability to trade,.   Let alone a draft pick..

Dont let the “Center of the universe writers“ 

effect you 😉 

no chance it’s Podz,  

he’s penciled in with Letermakki , Dman Petterssen, Willander , Klimovich, Raty , Bains ..  you’ll see him end of this regular season , and next.

this management team has control over the future,  it has life now.

Zadorov will probably come here for one player,.    Calgary needs to understand if they are about an in-season tweak, or partial rebuild.

I think it’s a  partial re-build , where they hope to re-sign Hanafin and Tanev..

If they aren’t talking with those players now to find out their desires,  they will be lost to UFA..

They already know Zadorov wants out which should actually make this easier on them.… but for a 1st time GM?  
What’s a guy to do without having a fan base turn on them .

Fire in Cow Town for Christmas.

• Cheers 1

I really don’t want Tanev here ,  be lucky to get 45-50 games out of him just for a Happy Ending for some fans here to feel warm and fuzzy.

His next contract is all about playing safe and retiring..  not unlike LE.

Someone else here wanted to dig up Edler out of the grave ..    Lol..

Ian Cole has been everything Edler should have been .

just sayin.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Calgary will be hoping for a bit of a bidding war and then anything can happen. 

This is where I hope management backs off.

I’m a fan of the player but let’s not give up too much.

• Cheers 3