[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Only assets going out should be for players who are long term fits.

Trading for Tanev as a rental unless he costs something like a 3rd and Beauvillier is nuts. 

Calgary not even interested in a 2nd.

No thanks. Tanev is still a good defenceman but let another team trade for him.

• Cheers 2

Would love Tanev back. If we could do it reasonably. He's turning 34 in a few weeks, unless we could grab him for a 3rd and a 5th, would rather just sign him for a year or two in Summer. He's not a long-term solution for us. At this stage of his career, you're looking 2 - 3 years of effective hockey left in him.

• Cheers 1

If the ask is higher for Tanev than Zadorov then Calgary may have played their hand wrong.  

It's well known now that Zadorov has been a target for PA and that Tocc would love him on the team.  Plus he's a Milstein client and other teams are probably looking at Zadorov as a rental and most likely to sign with us in UFA.

Soucy being out 1-2 months adds more urgency from our stand point.

Beauvillier, Hoglander + 3rd 

for

Zadorov (signs an extension)

PA probably doesn't want to include Hoglander but might have to now with Soucy being injured.

Come on, PA, push this over the finish line.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Would love Tanev back. If we could do it reasonably. He's turning 34 in a few weeks, unless we could grab him for a 3rd and a 5th, would rather just sign him for a year or two in Summer. He's not a long-term solution for us. At this stage of his career, you're looking 2 - 3 years of effective hockey left in him.

I'm not sure we have a long term plan.  I think our window is a few years and it starts now.  Once we pay Patterson and Hughes we'll be cap strapped and top heavy like the leafs.  Hard to win like that 

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Exactly. I love Tanev, but his ship has sailed. The reason we did not resign him was bc of the injuries....people forget that u could program a watch on Tanev being unavailable late in the year.

He's been an iron man in Calgary.

Different coaching systems now. Could equal more longevity

Okay, here's my outlook on what I think our roster looks like in 24/25 season. Expected Cap, 87.5 Million which is being widely speculated and that is the number CapFriendly is working on for overall next season cap number.

Assumptions:

• My number on Pettersson I think is bang on where we land although I'm hoping for .5 - 1 million below this on a home town discount, 8 year term. 
  • Beauvillier will not be back and will be moved for other assets, defense or picks to be used for defense.
  • We have some promotions from the AHL during this season which carry over into next season.
  • My number on Hronek might be a little light, but I think they will try and keep his cap hit at or slightly below Hughes and will leverage RFA status to get there.
  • DeSmith has been excellent, but he won't be offered enough to stay and we will promote from within for backup with Silovs and one of our other younger goalie prospects will move up and take his place behind Tolopilo as backup in Abbotsford.
  • I'm assuming that Garland will be back due to the fact that I don't think the team will be willing to eat more than 1 million on his contract to get a deal done and won't be willing to take a significant overvalued contract back. I do think they will continue to try and move him this next summer though to create more overall space.
  • Myers will be back at a vastly reduced rate for depth and with a specific role within the team.
  • Poolman will still be factored for one final year at 2.5 million LTIR
  • I've speculated on signing Tanev and although I have him here as 2nd pairing, I would assume he would roam the right side, moving up and down the pairings based on need and based on team we're playing.
  • I'm assuming that Lekkerimaki, Klimovich, Willander, D-Petty etc, will all be given more time to develop and will become priority callups where applicable (signed).
  • I've speculated that Sasson will be our 13th forward although Aman may make it necessary to make room for him on the team as the 23rd member. I believe Aman requires waivers next year and I don't believe that they would risk losing him. 

Feel free to blow this apart, but give reasons on where you think this isn't accurate.

So, here's the 22 man lineup meaning, someone will be added as 23 putting us into our LTIR reserve, but this is $87,520,001 ($20,001 over cap into LTIR):

image.png.236d11ece62dee6967fb6c8343b18a5e.png

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I'm not sure we have a long term plan.  I think our window is a few years and it starts now.  Once we pay Patterson and Hughes we'll be cap strapped and top heavy like the leafs.  Hard to win like that 

We've already paid Hughes, he's locked in for another 3 seasons. I personally think we are looking at Tanev on trade right now, and IMO, top offer should be

To Calgary:

Beauvillier

2024 4th (ours or NJ's)

To Vancouver:

Tanev 350k retained (balance the cap)

2025 6th

I don't see this year as our year, I think we need one more summer to work on the team mix, especially defense and as such, we shouldn't try and mortgage the future for the immediate.

I see us as a playoff team this season and I see our window being wide open starting next season if we make the right changes this summer.

See the proposed roster I put up a few min ago. I think the numbers are close to accurate, but there will be other changes of course.

27 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

If the ask is higher for Tanev than Zadorov then Calgary may have played their hand wrong.  

It's well known now that Zadorov has been a target for PA and that Tocc would love him on the team.  Plus he's a Milstein client and other teams are probably looking at Zadorov as a rental and most likely to sign with us in UFA.

for

PA probably doesn't want to include Hoglander but might have to now with Soucy being injured.

Too much for Zadorov and I wouldn't give up Hoglander, he is really just coming into his own here. If we are able to move Garland this coming summer, he will slide up in the lineup.

Beauvillier, Friedman (I really do like this guy as a fill in, but if Calgary is losing Zadorov, they will need someone who can slot in immediately) 1.175 million retained to make the contracts match, 2024 3rd, 2025 5th

They get immediate help on offense with Beauvillier sliding up into their middle 6, they get a stop gap on defense, 2 picks and another guy on an expiring contract, already partially retained who they could flip to a team needing more offense at the deadline at 50% retained for around 1.5 million effective cap hit. They should be able to get a 2nd round pick for him under those circumstances. They should be able to get a 6th or 7th round pick at the deadline for Friedman as well.

So, for Zadorov under this, they are potentially getting

2nd

3rd

5th

6th

That's not a bad haul for an expiring contract for a middle pairing guy.

So, they would be turning Zadorov 

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

for

I don't think this is necessarily too much but I don't agree with trading away Hoglander. He's been playing well for us lately with limited ice time to boot.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

for

Sounds like the Canucks are interested in Kessel as well, according to Rick today.

This would be a very good lineup going into the playoffs. Good defensive core as well in my opinion.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko 

Giuseppe - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Suter - Kessel

Joshua - Blueger - Lafferty 

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Zadorov 

Soucy - Myers 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Okay, here's my outlook on what I think our roster looks like in 24/25 season. Expected Cap, 87.5 Million which is being widely speculated and that is the number CapFriendly is working on for overall next season cap number.

Assumptions:

• My number on Pettersson I think is bang on where we land although I'm hoping for .5 - 1 million below this on a home town discount, 8 year term. 
  • Beauvillier will not be back and will be moved for other assets, defense or picks to be used for defense.
  • We have some promotions from the AHL during this season which carry over into next season.
  • My number on Hronek might be a little light, but I think they will try and keep his cap hit at or slightly below Hughes and will leverage RFA status to get there.
  • DeSmith has been excellent, but he won't be offered enough to stay and we will promote from within for backup with Silovs and one of our other younger goalie prospects will move up and take his place behind Tolopilo as backup in Abbotsford.
  • I'm assuming that Garland will be back due to the fact that I don't think the team will be willing to eat more than 1 million on his contract to get a deal done and won't be willing to take a significant overvalued contract back. I do think they will continue to try and move him this next summer though to create more overall space.
  • Myers will be back at a vastly reduced rate for depth and with a specific role within the team.
  • I've speculated on signing Tanev and although I have him here as 2nd pairing, I would assume he would roam the right side, moving up and down the pairings based on need and based on team we're playing.
  • I'm assuming that Lekkerimaki, Klimovich, Willander, D-Petty etc, will all be given more time to develop and will become priority callups where applicable (signed).
  • I've speculated that Sasson will be our 13th forward although Aman may make it necessary to make room for him on the team as the 23rd member. I believe Aman requires waivers next year and I don't believe that they would risk losing him. 

Feel free to blow this apart, but give reasons on where you think this isn't accurate.

So, here's the 22 man lineup meaning, someone will be added as 23 putting us into our LTIR reserve, but this is $87,520,001 ($20,001 over cap into LTIR):

Wow, Petey at 12 and Hronek at 7.75 is on the high high end of what they'll get. 

Zadorov is a lefty... and I think that Myers is better dman... 

Also I'd rather have Ian Cole back over Zadorov.  

Tanev would be a fine bandaid for two years. 

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Sounds like the Canucks are interested in Kessel as well, according to Rick today.

This would be a very good lineup going into the playoffs. Good defensive core as well in my opinion.

Garland - Suter - Kessel

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Zadorov 

Soucy - Myers 

Zadorov is a lefty ... 

I wouldn't mind playing Cole on the other side, but Zadorov is very prone to getting out of position.  Not sure that Cole is the most fleet of foot to catch up and cover for his mistakes.  

The more I'm thinking of a possible Calgary deal, the more I'm realizing that it's not the best fit and that they won't wanna trade within division. 

Just now, AatuD2 said:

Wow, Petey at 12 and Hronek at 7.75 is on the high high end of what they'll get. 

Zadorov is a lefty... and I think that Myers is better dman... 

Also I'd rather have Ian Cole back over Zadorov.  

Tanev would be a fine bandaid for two years. 

If Pettersson turns in 130 point season, which he's heading towards right now, I think 12 is in range, but again, I'm really hoping for a hometown discount, 11 - 11.5 range. Problem is, 12 might already be the hometown discount when you look at what Matthews just signed, $13,250,000 although he had the leverage of becoming a UFA next summer and I'm hoping that will give us the negotiating power we need to keep his number down a little. 

If Nurse is 9.25 million per season on Left Defense, Hronek at better than a point per game on Right Defense, could easily go 8.5 million or higher, but again, hoping for a hometown discount and long-term leverage against an RFA status.

Zadorov is able to play either side, Left or Right.

Tanev, I'm thinking Band-Aid as well for a year or two while Willander matures. We have other guys coming as well in Brzustewicz, McWard and Johansson who should  be pushing on the right side after this year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, I really hope Hogz doesn't get traded any time soon. I think that would be a mistake longterm.

Hogz is a buzz saw, and he's highly skilled. It's only a matter of time before he starts seeing consistent results. 

Not sure what level he'll rise to, but he's the kind of guy you want on your team. And he's not afraid to get into the dirty areas. 

Plus, isn't he still 22? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Zadorov is a lefty ... 

I wouldn't mind playing Cole on the other side, but Zadorov is very prone to getting out of position.  Not sure that Cole is the most fleet of foot to catch up and cover for his mistakes.  

The more I'm thinking of a possible Calgary deal, the more I'm realizing that it's not the best fit and that they won't wanna trade within division. 

Either one of Cole or Zadorov can play the right side.

Zadorov is a good defencemen, and we could probably get another level from him with our coaching staff.

Ya, the deal is unlikely to happen but I’m still going to have fun making my lines 

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

for

I don't wanna lose Hogz . It'll bite us in the ass. Imagine him pestering us for the next 10 years in Cgy... 

I would rather we see how we are without Soucy and tread water while he's out than give up Hogz. He's gonna be a Garland /Beau replacement at a quarter of the price. 

I would rather we try to fill internally with Wolanin and Hirose or at worst, trade for a guy like peeke in the east and not give us Hogz and sign Z in the summer. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Garland - Suter - Kessel

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Zadorov 

Soucy - Myers 

Hello Phil!  Can I interest you in some pre-game workout fuel?

image.png.405e904221d50a12d24faa26998f3041.png

51 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Assumptions:

I would say $7,000,000 allocated to bottom pairing Dmen is too much. 

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Maybe 2-3 years ago.

If anything, the Hurricanes were interested in Hoglander, who knows what happens with Pesce near trade deadline.

There is another Hronek like trade out there in my opinion, Canucks just have to be patient and wait it out. Find a player that fits the timeline.

A player like Hronek is going to cost a hell of a lot more than Hogs and a late pick tho. 

Dunno, Hogs is fine, don't see him being a game breaker. I don't see right now how he's anything  than Baertschi 2.0 tbh. 

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I don't think this is necessarily too much but I don't agree with trading away Hoglander. He's been playing well for us lately with limited ice time to boot.

Do you replace Hoglander for Podkolzin? I believe one or the other will be moved as a sweetener via trade this year. Which one do we keep?

39 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I just posted in another thread but what about clearing cap space and then signing Bear? He should be ready soon. Until then, we just grit through it and try to keep our heads above water. 

I personally don't see Bear as an upgrade on what we currently have. Especially coming off major surgery. If were going to improve the D, lets think bigger and better than Bear

• Upvote 1