[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hansen was faster. 

And gritter, feistier, and likely better defensively 

Hoglander may have better offensive skills, seemed like Hansen would often get breakaways via his hockey smarts and speed but wasn't able to finish as much as fans would have liked 

Hoglander will go to the dirty areas and play a tenacious game like Hansen but I don't really think they're similar players otherwise 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

yucky... what a massive overpayment for a 5th defenceman Zadorov has not earned a pay raise... id take Cole at 3 million for another year... Myers is worth more than 2 million. id just keep cole/myers as the Vet and try to sign Hakinpaa

As a 3/4 D, Zadorov is worth 4.5 - 5 million on the open market. Can play either side, he'll easily get that range. Go look at what similar guys are signing for on the open market as UFA's.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

loved watching the honey badger. I hated how he got treated in SJ.

I'm clearly not as high on Hogs as others, when I look at Vegas e.g., and the size and grit of their bottom 6 and d, I see the need to upgrade. 

Yeaaaah, it's a shame how things ended for him tbh 

Hansen was a middle six tweener, Hoglander could be one as well, but they bring different elements 

A Hansen on the current club would go a long ways, he brought speed, a relentless forecheck and work ethic, and pretty solid offensive skills for a guy whose bread and butter was more his defensive play 

Hoglander doesn't have Hansen's two-way game, I see him as more of a potential Garland replacement if he can reach his potential 

I won't be upset if he's used as a trade chip if we're getting good value back in a trade

Hoglander will be 23 in early December, Podz will be 23 next June, I recognize that young forwards sometimes need more time to develop but sooner or later we need them to actually take steps forward 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

We've already paid Hughes, he's locked in for another 3 seasons. I personally think we are looking at Tanev on trade right now, and IMO, top offer should be

To Calgary:

Beauvillier

2024 4th (ours or NJ's)

To Vancouver:

Tanev 350k retained (balance the cap)

2025 6th

I don't see this year as our year, I think we need one more summer to work on the team mix, especially defense and as such, we shouldn't try and mortgage the future for the immediate.

I see us as a playoff team this season and I see our window being wide open starting next season if we make the right changes this summer.

See the proposed roster I put up a few min ago. I think the numbers are close to accurate, but there will be other changes of course.

Hughes was my point.  He's on a favorable deal the next three years.  He's the best defenseman in the world so I'm sure he'll be north of 10 as well.  At that point we are hard pressed to pay for a middle six and decent defense.   Love your trade pitch though.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Hughes was my point.  He's on a favorable deal the next three years.  He's the best defenseman in the world so I'm sure he'll be north of 10 as well.  At that point we are hard pressed to pay for a middle six and decent defense.   Love your trade pitch though.

If management surrounds Hughes, Pettersson, Demko and Miller with the right mix, we'll get another shot at the cup in the not too distant future. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

loved watching the honey badger. I hated how he got treated in SJ.

I'm clearly not as high on Hogs as others, when I look at Vegas e.g., and the size and grit of their bottom 6 and d, I see the need to upgrade. 

I'm in the minority too. I see and appreciate his tenacity, and willingness on the ice, but to me they are basically "NHL things" that pros should be bringing on a nightly basis, and to be contenders we need more than what he brings.

Zads is not the droid you are looking for... he is sheltered from elite minutes and compared to myers who also likely should have been sheltered from elite minutes...

there is a very big reason why Myers looks so good this year and his name is Hronek and the elite minutes he has taken from Myers...

Zadorov has never been trusted as the penalty kill top unit, Soucy is likely just as good or better...

Untitled-2.thumb.png.68f07f6f37cdf3f6c6a19fab6a28901a.png

HAKINPAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! playing almost 20 minutes now... he is still a 5th defenceman IMO but can fill in in the top 4 because he is so good at being a steady stay at home defenceman that Crushes people... he is like a Upgraded Luke Schenn...

Untitled-3.png.232e6aee70d889cd864b629e46a9194c.png

1 minute ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I'm in the minority too. I see and appreciate his tenacity, and willingness on the ice, but to me they are basically "NHL things" that pros should be bringing on a nightly basis, and to be contenders we need more than what he brings.

Good way of putting it.

If someone like Carolina sees hogs as a significant piece of a Pesce deal , awesome. But I have lower expectations.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Flames want a top prospect 

Sounds like they're more interested in sending Tanev east, they don't want him in the division

Imagine the same could be said of Zadorov

It could be said that the Flames are looking for warm bodies who are willing to subject themselves to living in Calgary... 😉

12 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

Zads is not the droid you are looking for... he is sheltered from elite minutes and compared to myers who also likely should have been sheltered from elite minutes...

there is a very big reason why Myers looks so good this year and his name is Hronek and the elite minutes he has taken from Myers...

Zadorov has never been trusted as the penalty kill top unit, Soucy is likely just as good or better...

Untitled-2.thumb.png.68f07f6f37cdf3f6c6a19fab6a28901a.png

HAKINPAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! playing almost 20 minutes now... he is still a 5th defenceman IMO but can fill in in the top 4 because he is so good at being a steady stay at home defenceman that Crushes people... he is like a Upgraded Luke Schenn...

Untitled-3.png.232e6aee70d889cd864b629e46a9194c.png

But Hakanpaa AND Zadorov would be a dream 

With the price high on the rentals I wonder what the price for Weegar would be.  Would be interesting to see how his contract affects price - and to absorb his contract we’d almost certainly have to send Garland.

(sounds like Calgary isn’t interested in dealing with us anyways just an interesting thought.)

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

As a 3/4 D, Zadorov is worth 4.5 - 5 million on the open market. Can play either side, he'll easily get that range. Go look at what similar guys are signing for on the open market as UFA's.

Zadorov is a 4/5 though. He has never averaged over 20 minutes/game for a season. With Calgary his highest average ice-time is 18:41min/game. He provides a very useful skill set but that doesn't suddenly make him a 3D. Due to that useful skill set a GM will likely severely overpay though (see Tampa sending an entire draft class for Jeannot). Calgary will likely wait for a GM to become desperate.

Just now, Diamonds said:

Zadorov is a 4/5 though. He has never averaged over 20 minutes/game for a season. With Calgary his highest average ice-time is 18:41min/game. He provides a very useful skill set but that doesn't suddenly make him a 3D. Due to that useful skill set a GM will likely severely overpay though (see Tampa sending an entire draft class for Jeannot). Calgary will likely wait for a GM to become desperate.

18 - 20 minutes per night is exactly in 3/4 range. Guys who are 5/6 are usually 14 - 16 min per night.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

#3D average over 20 minutes per night. Also I said 4/5, not 5/6.

I think of them in pairings which is why I have been positioning as 3/4 5/6

If you look around the NHL, for the most part, 2nd pairing are playing 18 - 20 min per night. This is a few screen snips from 3 different team 3 D pairings

Zadorov is behind what on paper at least, is a fairly solid defense, Weegar, Andersson, Hanifin and Tanev and he's playing 18:19 per night which, for most teams means a guy expected to play 2nd pairing minutes. I'd say on most teams (not all), he's considered a middle pairing guy.

Rangers:

image.png.25fe7fe524f7c06534d6911a8fe3b68e.png

Tampa:

image.png.263a07b226a8083f264ad1a147b33f7f.png

Boston:

image.png.b443b030d1c2a542631d5d07fa36a8c2.png

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You crazy. I like Cole too but whatever we do, mgmt just please add another tough presence on the back end. 

cole has won how many cups? and when on the same team as zads was chosen over him to play the tougher minutes... he looks great playing twenty minutes i see no reason why he cant play another year competitively. we need veterans like this with cup experience.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think of them in pairings which is why I have been positioning as 3/4 5/6

If you look around the NHL, for the most part, 2nd pairing are playing 18 - 20 min per night. This is a few screen snips from 3 different team 3 D pairings

Zadorov is behind what on paper at least, is a fairly solid defense, Weegar, Andersson, Hanifin and Tanev and he's playing 18:19 per night which, for most teams means a guy expected to play 2nd pairing minutes. I'd say on most teams (not all), he's considered a middle pairing guy.

Rangers:

image.png.25fe7fe524f7c06534d6911a8fe3b68e.png

Tampa:

image.png.263a07b226a8083f264ad1a147b33f7f.png

Boston:

image.png.b443b030d1c2a542631d5d07fa36a8c2.png

dont like how you left out fox's minutes... why would you do that?

also not every team has two top 2 players and still has a amazing defence... there is many ways to build a solid defence...

Untitled-3.png.5a8e2244925556720a43917275020b93.png

22 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

dont like how you left out fox's minutes... why would you do that?

also not every team has two top 2 players and still has a amazing defence... there is many ways to build a solid defence...

Untitled-3.png.5a8e2244925556720a43917275020b93.png

You are correct, there are a lot of ways to build a solid defense. Fox would have been left out because he is injured.

I really do respect your opinion...

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

With the price high on the rentals I wonder what the price for Weegar would be.  Would be interesting to see how his contract affects price - and to absorb his contract we’d almost certainly have to send Garland.

(sounds like Calgary isn’t interested in dealing with us anyways just an interesting thought.)

If they have to get reed of salary,they will talk to devil .There Jim Bening is now Lafs Jim Bening.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What would Demko get us? 

Dont mix alcohol.Not healthy