[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

55 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I could see Calgary being comfortable taking beaulivier as a neutral cap dump to facilitate a trade. The flames could then trade Beau at the deadline at 50% retained to make it worth their while.

That being said they would still want us to outbid every other team with the other pieces and that makes me nervous. 

24 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i personally don't see calgary doing a zadorov for beau + whatever chump change we throw at them 

Outbid every other team= whatever chump change???

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

I could see Calgary being comfortable taking beaulivier as a neutral cap dump to facilitate a trade. The flames could then trade Beau at the deadline at 50% retained to make it worth their while.

That being said they would still want us to outbid every other team with the other pieces and that makes me nervous. Zadorov is big and mean bit also terribly slow, I don't see him fitting well in our system.  As for Tanev imagine paying a hefty price for him just to have him injure himself as per usual and be in the same situation as we are now.

If we are going to give up futures I would rather do a Hronek type deal for a younger defenceman who we can retain for years to come. No short term rentals for high prices.

If Calgary is retaining cap on anyone to extract value from them it probably isn't Beauvillier 

All of Zadorov, Tanev, Hanifin, and Lindholm would bring Calgary better returns than Beauvillier if they were to retain 50% 

Can only retain on so many deals, retaining on Beau doesn't really make sense considering the other players they'll likely be looking to trade imo

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

why do we need a big minute eater? what is even considered a big minute eater? someone that can play 23 24+ mins?? we don't need one we already have 2 that's at 23+ mins. Zadorov basically just takes up soucy minutes.. cole plays around 20mins.. myer around 18 soucy around 16-17.. so where you need this big minute guy for? Zadorov would just be somewhere in betwen the 16-18min. and i really don't get the insistant of we want a RD not a LD. if anything i say we need a LD more than we need a RD long term.. cole is universal and is fine playing the RD just as he is with the LD.. so depth wise we really have nothing after hughes and nothing after hronek as soucy and myers are both 3rd pairing guy at best. long term wise at least we have willander as a RD that hopefully will fit into the top 4 possibly 2nd pairing.. where's the LD coming from? or say we sign hronek to a 7-8 year deal.. and then we sign whatever RD u want to pick up to a 4-5 year deal.. we going to bring up Willander eventually as a 3rd pairing only for the next 4-5 years? ideally willander will be on his ELC on the 2nd pairing.. and then u can sign another cheap 3rd pairing rd to maximize the benefit of willander's elc.. wasting money on a RD makes 0 sense short and long term because we have willander while we have nothing on the left side.. i rather we get a LD long term and use a short term fix at RD like cole or tanev in the summer until Willander is ready.

Hughes Hronek

Cole

Soucy Myers

We don't need a big minute eater but we are likely going to pay like Zadorov is one.  He will not come cheap but unless the defenceman commits to an extension, Zadorov is essentially a rental.  We are likely going to give up something substantial, close to what we paid for Hronek.  But we will not get anything close to the same value in return.  That's what makes me hesitant.  I think Zadorov is a solid defensive defenceman, no doubt about it.  I just don't think he is a great fit on this team right now.

I don't expect Willander to be playing in the NHL next year or the year after that.  There are no guarantees for any 18-year old unless they're a lottery pick.  Even then - good teams will patiently wait for the right moment.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

What would it take to get both Zodorov and Tanev?

too much. 

Both those guys are UFA's after this season aren't they? 

What's to say that we couldn't add them both in the off-season? 

Need the pro scouting to find us a good pick up on a trade - under the radar, like Hronek was. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

too much. 

Both those guys are UFA's after this season aren't they? 

What's to say that we couldn't add them both in the off-season? 

Need the pro scouting to find us a good pick up on a trade - under the radar, like Hronek was. 

It would be great to sign both these guys in the offseason, but imagine having them now for this year's playoff run and signing them in advance of hitting the open market. We'd have a chance to win the cup this year with the way these guys are playing.

No need to push for a Zadorov or Tanev.

Soucy will probably be out until just after the new year. Use this time to see some of the organization's defense re: Hitose, Woo to name a couple to get into a game or two after practicing with the club for some time.

By December look into what the salary number will need to be for Bear to join the club. Remember bringing a player in on prorated contract by mid December onwards drops the caphit over 25%.

Not the time to reach and make a trade for a rental costing futures. Have confidence in your under contract players see who else you have NHL capable and bring in a 4/5 dman in Bear. Otherwise make a " hockey trade ". There is zero pressure to force any deals.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

No need to push for a Zadorov or Tanev.

Soucy will probably be out until just after the new year. Use this time to see some of the organization's defense re: Hitose, Woo to name a couple to get into a game or two after practicing with the club for some time.

By December look into what the salary number will need to be for Bear to join the club. Remember bringing a player in on prorated contract by mid December onwards drops the caphit over 25%.

Not the time to reach and make a trade for a rental costing futures. Have confidence in your under contract players see who else you have NHL capable and bring in a 4/5 dman in Bear. Otherwise make a " hockey trade ". There is zero pressure to force any deals.

If Bear is healthy now, I'm pretty sure we could sign him with the LTIR space we're about to pickup from Soucy.

Anyone know what the status on Brisebois is? When he got hit in pre-season, my first thought was, cracked ribs or sternum...

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

We don't need a big minute eater but we are likely going to pay like Zadorov is one.  He will not come cheap but unless the defenceman commits to an extension, Zadorov is essentially a rental.  We are likely going to give up something substantial, close to what we paid for Hronek.  But we will not get anything close to the same value in return.  That's what makes me hesitant.  I think Zadorov is a solid defensive defenceman, no doubt about it.  I just don't think he is a great fit on this team right now.

I don't expect Willander to be playing in the NHL next year or the year after that.  There are no guarantees for any 18-year old unless they're a lottery pick.  Even then - good teams will patiently wait for the right moment.

There definitely needs to be consideration about the cost.  He isn’t a core player, and he would be our 4th best D after Cole.  He has a complementary skill set to the guys we have.

You don’t want to pay a crazy price for that.  Other teams will fall out of contention and other players will be available.  As long as we keep winning, there isn’t desperation.  

If someone wants to give a 1st round pick, then let that team do it.

If we are near the top of the league near the deadline, maybe a protected 1st for Tanev AND Zadorov with them also taking back salary to make it work. Only because you can be more comfortable that it is going to be later in the round.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

There definitely needs to be consideration about the cost.  He isn’t a core player, and he would be our 4th best D after Cole.  He has a complementary skill set to the guys we have.

You don’t want to pay a crazy price for that.  Other teams will fall out of contention and other players will be available.  As long as we keep winning, there isn’t desperation.  

If someone wants to give a 1st round pick, then let that team do it.

If we are near the top of the league near the deadline, maybe a protected 1st for Tanev AND Zadorov with them also taking back salary to make it work. Only because you can be more comfortable that it is going to be later in the round.

We got Hronek for first+garbage.Zadorov is third +garbage

• Cheers 1

On 11/15/2023 at 2:41 PM, JayDangles said:

Do you replace Hoglander for Podkolzin? I believe one or the other will be moved as a sweetener via trade this year. Which one do we keep?

If we don't have room for one of them I'd say we look at whomever is doing better and keep that person and trade the other. That being said, I think we have room for both as it does still provide depth which is much needed in the playoffs where both of them are likely going to shine.

We shouldn't need to make a trade with sweeteners like Hogz and Podz unless if we know what we're getting back is good. No sense in forcing things, especially if we're winning. Keep our good pieces until we absolutely need to trade them.

Edited by The Lock

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

i dont expect willander to be ready in the next 2 years but 3 years prolly.. again if you sign a top 4 rd that's likely gonna be a 5-6 year range.. where is willander playing in 3 years? bottom pairing till he's 25? 

so what do you suggest we pay for top 4s? defenceman? coz the 2nd pairing is likely only going to get the 17-20 mins. i dont think it's realistic if you think they should be paying 4mil or less. with where the salary cap is i expect it closer to 6mil like gavikov. with top pairing defenceman nowadays going for 9-11mil.. 5-6mil for a 2nd pairing is total reasonable. our second pairing will only ever get 18-20mins as long as hughes is not injured. if RT have his way hughes would be playing closer to 30mins like he was last season under RT. 

i think you are way overvaluing zadorov if you think we have to give up something cloes to what we paid for hronek.. a 1st and a 2nd... so you are saying we need to give up at minimum a 1st?? i doubt any team would even consider a 1st for zadorov unless calgary is retaining 50% on top of taking back cap dump