[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dont expect willander to be ready in the next 2 years but 3 years prolly.. again if you sign a top 4 rd that's likely gonna be a 5-6 year range.. where is willander playing in 3 years? bottom pairing till he's 25? 

so what do you suggest we pay for top 4s? defenceman? coz the 2nd pairing is likely only going to get the 17-20 mins. i dont think it's realistic if you think they should be paying 4mil or less. with where the salary cap is i expect it closer to 6mil like gavikov. with top pairing defenceman nowadays going for 9-11mil.. 5-6mil for a 2nd pairing is total reasonable. our second pairing will only ever get 18-20mins as long as hughes is not injured. if RT have his way hughes would be playing closer to 30mins like he was last season under RT. 

i think you are way overvaluing zadorov if you think we have to give up something cloes to what we paid for hronek.. a 1st and a 2nd... so you are saying we need to give up at minimum a 1st?? i doubt any team would even consider a 1st for zadorov unless calgary is retaining 50% on top of taking back cap dump

I feel like we are not on the same wavelength.  What type of player do you think Zadorov is on this team?  What do you think will be the final trade price?  And do you expect an extension as soon as he comes here?

I think he is a borderline 2nd pairing D-man, a lefty who can play right side.  A lot like Cole, actually.  To that end, he actually isn't a replacement for Soucy (who has been a consistent 3rd pairing man).  I think Zadorov is worth at least a 2nd round pick, but I also think he will not be willing to re-sign.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I feel like we are not on the same wavelength.  What type of player do you think Zadorov is on this team?  What do you think will be the final trade price?  And do you expect an extension as soon as he comes here?

I think he is a borderline 2nd pairing D-man, a lefty who can play right side.  A lot like Cole, actually.  To that end, he actually isn't a replacement for Soucy (who has been a consistent 3rd pairing man).  I think Zadorov is worth at least a 2nd round pick, but I also think he will not be willing to re-sign.

i only expect a zadorov trade if it comes with an extension if it's a rental of coz no thx. zadorov is above soucy it'll be hughes zadorov soucy on the Left side and hronek (stop gap maybe cole or even tanev till willander is ready) and then whoever. Zadorov for sure is worth at least a 2nd and if it only cost a 2nd even if he doesn't re-sign i'm ok with that. the goal is to do everything this season to make EP happy so he would re-sign. limping into the next 2 months with juulsen and friedman could easily derail the season a 3 game losing streak here or there we will be right back int he middle battling.. we can't expect all the team struggling now to struggle forever. if the cost for zadorov is just 2nd + whatever prospect not named raty podz that rangers kid and our top prospect.. then all the other prospect should be in play.. 2nds and 3rds.. since ppl keep saying garland have beau have value we should be able to get it back with one of them eventually.

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i only expect a zadorov trade if it comes with an extension if it's a rental of coz no thx. zadorov is above soucy it'll be hughes zadorov soucy on the Left side and hronek (stop gap maybe cole or even tanev till willander is ready) and then whoever. Zadorov for sure is worth at least a 2nd and if it only cost a 2nd even if he doesn't re-sign i'm ok with that. the goal is to do everything this season to make EP happy so he would re-sign. limping into the next 2 months with juulsen and friedman could easily derail the season a 3 game losing streak here or there we will be right back int he middle battling.. we can't expect all the team struggling now to struggle forever. if the cost for zadorov is just 2nd + whatever prospect not named raty podz that rangers kid and our top prospect.. then all the other prospect should be in play.. 2nds and 3rds.. since ppl keep saying garland have beau have value we should be able to get it back with one of them eventually.

I'm curious what new York kid?? Aside from Raty?

Edited by Bobby Lou

26 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

This brings us back to whether we even need another lefty like Zadorov.  We have Hughes, Soucy and Cole on the left side.  That should be enough.  On the right side, it's Hronek, Myers, and then Friedman/Juulsen.  That's the weakness right there.  We have always needed an improvement there even before Soucy went down.  Yes, Cole or Zadorov can both play their off-side.  But I think it's a forced fit and not directly addressing our needs. 

Why not take on Chris Tanev instead?  He is a standard defensive D-man.  He is older, a bit less valuable, and we can choose to extend him (this time around) for a reasonable, shorter cap/term, until one of our prospects are ready to take over.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

This brings us back to whether we even need another lefty like Zadorov.  We have Hughes, Soucy and Cole on the left side.  That should be enough.  On the right side, it's Hronek, Myers, and then Friedman/Juulsen.  That's the weakness right there.  We have always needed an improvement there even before Soucy went down.  Yes, Cole or Zadorov can both play their off-side.  But I think it's a forced fit and not directly addressing our needs. 

Why not take on Chris Tanev instead?  He is a standard defensive D-man.  He is older, a bit less valuable, and we can choose to extend him (this time around) for a reasonable, shorter cap/term, until one of our prospects are ready to take over.

I think the right side/left side talk gets a bit overplayed.  I'd rather have 8 left side D if all 8 are legitimate NHL defensemen vs 4 left side & 4 right side D if four of them are clones of Juulsen.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It would be great to sign both these guys in the offseason, but imagine having them now for this year's playoff run and signing them in advance of hitting the open market. We'd have a chance to win the cup this year with the way these guys are playing.

I think it would cost too much, though. Plus, divisional rivals - unless we overpay. Best case scenario for me, would be to acquire one of them, and if we could for a low price, especially given that both the players will be UFA's by the end of the season. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, I think having both Zadorov and Tanev in the backend would bolster an already strong team, and make us stronger. I just don't see how management could do it without Calgary asking for top prospects that can play in their line up (only player that comes to mind would be Höglander who is relatively young, and can play in their line up). Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Willander - these are young prospects, but they're not ready for NHL prime time yet. So i can't see Calgary being interested in them. 

34 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think the question mark with Tanev is that he's so injury prone when he was in Canuck colours. And the other thing is, does Calgary really want to deal him to a divisional rival? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

I'm curious what new York kid?? Aside from Raty?

no the kitchener ranger kid we drafted i forgot his name lol hunter something

28 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

because cole is not signed beyond this season and there's 0 guarantees he's even here next season. tanev i'm ok with but i'm still worried about his bad luck in vancouver or whether or not he's even interested in coming back to vancouver.. there's no guarantee he even wants to be here because if his goal is to win a cup before he retires. there are much better choices out there.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think the right side/left side talk gets a bit overplayed.  I'd rather have 8 left side D if all 8 are legitimate NHL defensemen vs 4 left side & 4 right side D if four of them are clones of Juulsen.

Yes but it's a big bonus if you can get your hands on right-handed NHL quality D-men!

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the question mark with Tanev is that he's so injury prone when he was in Canuck colours. And the other thing is, does Calgary really want to deal him to a divisional rival? 

If division rival trades are a concern, you can forget about Zadorov. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

because cole is not signed beyond this season and there's 0 guarantees he's even here next season. tanev i'm ok with but i'm still worried about his bad luck in vancouver or whether or not he's even interested in coming back to vancouver.. there's no guarantee he even wants to be here because if his goal is to win a cup before he retires. there are much better choices out there.

I do not think Zadorov is a significantly better choice than Tanev.  Whether or not there is a guarantee, Tanev seems to just be a better fit based on our needs.  As a rental, a right-handed D-man is better.  As an extension, he is older and we can sign him to a shorter term.  Either way, I see him as a better option, even with his body starting to really break down.

It doesn't have to be Calgary either.   There are other teams with surplus defencemen we could trade with.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

There aren’t “much better choices” to winning a Cup than us. Our elite core 6 is better than any other club’s. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There aren’t “much better choices” to winning a Cup than us. Our elite core 6 is better than any other club’s. 

the core is good but the supporting cast around it isn't at the same level. vegas for example have a much more well rounded team up and down their lineup that can match every single one of our lines. we kinda live and die on the powerplay right now.. if the PP don't score we prolly don't win.. and we all know in the playoff PP don't seem to exist. as good as we have been getting wins and such.. our advance stat still say we are not a good team defensively.. if demko starts to come back down to earth a little which he's starting to a little the last couple games.. our flaws will get exposed.. i doubt we can continue being bottom 3 in the league in terms of high danger chances against and continue to stop them at a histoic .960+ rate when the highest each year is around .910

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

the core is good but the supporting cast around it isn't at the same level. vegas for example have a much more well rounded team up and down their lineup that can match every single one of our lines. we kinda live and die on the powerplay right now.. if the PP don't score we prolly don't win.. and we all know in the playoff PP don't seem to exist. as good as we have been getting wins and such.. our advance stat still say we are not a good team defensively.. if demko starts to come back down to earth a little which he's starting to a little the last couple games.. our flaws will get exposed.. i doubt we can continue being bottom 3 in the league in terms of high danger chances against and continue to stop them at a histoic .960+ rate when the highest each year is around .910

Fancy stats are for those who can’t make empties. 

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Better long term fit (age, health etc), given Cole may need to be replaced as soon as this summer. And either can play his off side until then.

But yes, 2nd pair RD is by far out bigger need. THAT is what we should be spending any potential first + prospect + Beau/Garland on. Another "Hronek" type trade. As I've said before in this thread... happy to spend those assets on a guy like Andersson (or similar). Zadorov is a "want", not a "need" given we already have Cole right now. If you can add him for a reasonable ask... by all means. If not, he's a great summer/UFA target to replace Cole next year. He's not someone I'm interested in getting in to a bidding war over, or paying "division rival" tax on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it would cost too much, though. Plus, divisional rivals - unless we overpay. Best case scenario for me, would be to acquire one of them, and if we could for a low price, especially given that both the players will be UFA's by the end of the season. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, I think having both Zadorov and Tanev in the backend would bolster an already strong team, and make us stronger. I just don't see how management could do it without Calgary asking for top prospects that can play in their line up (only player that comes to mind would be Höglander who is relatively young, and can play in their line up). Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki, Willander - these are young prospects, but they're not ready for NHL prime time yet. So i can't see Calgary being interested in them. 

Beau, Hogs, Wolanin, Hirose, McWard, Karlsson, Juulsen can all play games and should be able to garner interest for Tanev and Zads on expiring deals.

10 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I too beleive the right/ left side argument is a bit overrated ..

D men have been crossing zones with their partners for years whether it’s D coverage tracking into your own end and leaving the angle and speed to your partner to take the position,.

Or crossing  offensively for shot / pass positioning .

The Canucks D are getting great rove coverage from their wingers now more than ever,.   It’s more about on-Ice communication durring the game.

It’s all more about alertness, and continuous movement,.  If a D man is standing still these days ,.  He’s beaten already.

Zadorov plays either side, has been listed like that for years.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Zadorov plays either side, has been listed like that for years.

Perfect fit for this team. Not sure we can give up assets for him this year, but man would he be a great UFA pickup. Thing is, the Canucks don't have a tonne of cap space moving forward if hopefully Hronek is extended. A good, solid, physical D like Zad in the 4, 4.5 range should be doable. Soucy already here. Slot in maybe a Myers at discount rate, take it or leave it. Fill in with the Hirose, Mc, Woo, Will, Coles, moving forward. I like it. Nice combo of elite skill, size, youth 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Perfect fit for this team. Not sure we can give up assets for him this year, but man would he be a great UFA pickup. Thing is, the Canucks don't have a tonne of cap space moving forward if hopefully Hronek is extended. A good, solid, physical D like Zad in the 4, 4.5 range should be doable. Soucy already here. Slot in maybe a Myers at discount rate, take it or leave it. Fill in with the Hirose, Mc, Woo, Will, Coles, moving forward. I like it. Nice combo of elite skill, size, youth 

I agree Rekker,

It’s his prowess for Deterence and physicality combined with above average skating that I’m sold in to create even better chemistry on the Canucks.

This young man is built for longevity in the league,  and that’s why I think he fits with our timeline for the players already “cored” on it.

The even took liberties last night on Miller ,

Who, yes, we can say can look after himself,

but who actually has his back ?

Petterson, Hughes, Miller , Hroneck, Kuz, Boeser, Mihky,  ect,.  Still need more than J Dakota making a rare appearance on the 4th line,

Zadorov has the attributes, cool and skillset

to be a D man playing amongst the top 2 pairings,  but he needs the ice time he hasn’t been getting in Calgary or elsewhere for that opportunity to present itself.…and when it does he will show up for it.

• Like 1

My thoughts on Tanev are parallel as this posters comments from another board.

Tanev makes 4.5 mil AAV and is a UFA at the end of the year. What would you be willing to give up in a trade that would free up that amount of cap for us to take him on? If we did manage to trade and get him over here, what salary and term are you offering this 34 year old, injury prone, veteran to keep him happy here? My opinion is that he doesnt belong in the top 4 on any decent team anymore. I would consider bringing him in as the 5th man in free agency, no more than 2 mil AAV over 2 years.”

• Cheers 1