[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

the thing about penalties not being called in the playoffs doesnt exist anymore, it may come back at any time but for the last few seasons we have seen more penalties and more powerplays in the playoffs. which is a good thing for us. the league has been fairly consistent with the instigator penalty this season and PPO has gone up almost 0.5 a powerplay a game this season... the league is under scrutiny to be more consistent and they are delivering, just so happens its the year we have an amazing powerplay... this season is made for us...

im more enclined to make a trade now that soucy is injured... Zadorovs minutes will be  more valuable than garlands or Beaus... the only issue is Zadorov isnt a right shooting RD we need tanev more than we need zads

10 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Per 650 and Dhaliwal speculation 

- Canucks really want a D man Now!

- Canucks working phones hard 

- they love Tanev and Zadorov but CGY charging them a premium which Canucks think is rediculous given they will both be UFAs and even if traded Tanev may hold out to sign with chance to take to VAN after July 1

- they didn’t get into prices 

- a lot of teams calling on Tanev 

- CGY wants to move all players East 

if true that is an issue. the east playoff race is much more competitive not likely many teams want to sell their RD defenceman at this moment, its very possible that A LD 5/6th defenceman becomes available as a rookie or journeyman passes a player on a depth chart mid-season, or a team pushes out a player or a player demands a trade.

im guessing our GM knows how angry this fanbase will be if we overpay, a trade is likely all but done with calgary, it isnt happening. we will have to work hard to find a player

• Huggy Bear 1

19 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Tim Robinson Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

Working Fred Willard GIF

- they love Tanev and Zadorov but CGY charging them a premium which Canucks think is rediculous given they will both be UFAs and even if traded Tanev may hold out to sign with chance to take to VAN after July 1

Interested GIF by reactionseditor

No Problem Running GIF by ProBit Global

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Rusty Shackleford said:

Canucks will land a dman not from Calgary and then sign Zads and Tanev in UFA.  We will then proceed to lol at Calgary.

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - trade

Soucy - Zads

Tanev 

Calgary is being stupid if they are not looking at best value in a deal, and just looking to move players east. Its like the draft, BPA.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Better long term fit (age, health etc), given Cole may need to be replaced as soon as this summer. And either can play his off side until then.

But yes, 2nd pair RD is by far out bigger need. THAT is what we should be spending any potential first + prospect + Beau/Garland on. Another "Hronek" type trade. As I've said before in this thread... happy to spend those assets on a guy like Andersson (or similar). Zadorov is a "want", not a "need" given we already have Cole right now. If you can add him for a reasonable ask... by all means. If not, he's a great summer/UFA target to replace Cole next year. He's not someone I'm interested in getting in to a bidding war over, or paying "division rival" tax on.

To be honest, if Cole continues to play the way he has, I see no problem with offering him another year or two at the same rate.  He has come exactly as advertised - a physical defensive defenceman who kills penalties and also takes a lot of penalties.  I also see no reason why he'd say no.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

My thoughts on Tanev are parallel as this posters comments from another board.

Tanev makes 4.5 mil AAV and is a UFA at the end of the year. What would you be willing to give up in a trade that would free up that amount of cap for us to take him on? If we did manage to trade and get him over here, what salary and term are you offering this 34 year old, injury prone, veteran to keep him happy here? My opinion is that he doesnt belong in the top 4 on any decent team anymore. I would consider bringing him in as the 5th man in free agency, no more than 2 mil AAV over 2 years.”

Tanev being injury prone hasn't yet affected his on-ice performance when he's out there.  As long as he dresses up, he is a legit top-4 defenceman who's worth every penny.  As long as he puts up another 65-70 games this year, he is going to earn much more than a meagre $2M.  In hindsight, he performed above Calgary's pay and expectations.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

I like the idea of us going for it this year. It’s kinda like when the Raptors traded for Leonard. They seen a gaping hole in their conference because of injuries and such to the bigger teams…they capitalized on a 1 year shot to the finals and they won it all.

The east this year is full of hard to beat teams but in the west the door is wide open for us aside from Vegas, maybe Colorado (but they don’t have the goaltending). While not a guarantee the outlook is promising.

I think it’s ballsy but it’s worth doing imo.

No one should be surprised cgy isn’t keen on helping the Canucks 

only leverage we may have is IF tanev is like id like to go back to Van and CGY does him a solid

To Van: pesce

to car: beau, podz, 2024 1st pick 

let’s get back on pesce choo choo train 

7 minutes ago, Billabong said:

only leverage we may have is IF tanev is like id like to go back to Van and CGY does him a solid

love Pesce 

Pesce > Tanev/Zadorov, but CAR looks like willing to hold on to him for now, not many teams way out of it yet ones who are - CBJ, SEA, SJS...

is SEA out of it...?

with Myers off the books at end of this year, IMO we will need 2 NHL RD...

Move 1:

to SEA

Podkolzin + 2025 1st + Karlsson+ Beauvellier +garland + Silovs

to VAN

Adam Larsson (31 yr RD 2 years left at 4.0)

Brandon Tanev (3.5 mil)

Move 2:

Sign Tanev in offseason

Milky Petey Kuzy

PDG Miller Brock

Tanev Suter Hoglander

Joshua Bluegger Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Cole (re sign ) Larsson

Soucy Tanev 

Demko

Desmith 

that's top roster in NHL 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, canucks curse said:

love Pesce 

Pesce > Tanev/Zadorov, but CAR looks like willing to hold on to him for now, not many teams way out of it yet ones who are - CBJ, SEA, SJS...

is SEA out of it...?

Move 1:

to SEA

to VAN

Brandon Tanev (3.5 mil)

Move 2:

Sign Tanev in offseason

Milky Petey Kuzy

PDG Miller Brock

Tanev Suter Hoglander

Joshua Bluegger Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Cole (re sign ) Larsson

Soucy Tanev 

Demko

Desmith 

that's top roster in NHL 

I would stay way from any interdivisional trade ideas…its a very rare thing to see 

53 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

To be honest, if Cole continues to play the way he has, I see no problem with offering him another year or two at the same rate.  He has come exactly as advertised - a physical defensive defenceman who kills penalties and also takes a lot of penalties.  I also see no reason why he'd say no.

Don't disagree. Zadorov is basically a younger, bigger, meaner, longer term version of him though. If we can add him for moderate asset cost, or as a UFA (for zero assets), he'd lend some longer term stability to that 2nd pair LD, and some cost certainty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I like the idea of us going for it this year. It’s kinda like when the Raptors traded for Leonard. They seen a gaping hole in their conference because of injuries and such to the bigger teams…they capitalized on a 1 year shot to the finals and they won it all.

The east this year is full of hard to beat teams but in the west the door is wide open for us aside from Vegas, maybe Colorado (but they don’t have the goaltending). While not a guarantee the outlook is promising.

I think it’s ballsy but it’s worth doing imo.

agree - but - I think now is the time... yes we did not expect this but Miller, Demko, hughes and Petey = our core and they are all having career years, I would be open to trading Hogz, Podz, 2025 1st, 2024 1st, hirose, karlasson, mcdonaugh, all in the right deals of course to get us 1-2 d man and another tough good 3rd liner while moving out beauvillier and maybe garland.... the Time Is now!!!!

• Cheers 1

love Pesce 

is SEA out of it...?

Move 1:

to SEA

to VAN

Brandon Tanev (3.5 mil)

Move 2:

Sign Tanev in offseason

Milky Petey Kuzy

PDG Miller Brock

Tanev Suter Hoglander

Joshua Bluegger Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Cole (re sign ) Larsson

Soucy Tanev 

Demko

Desmith 

that's top roster in NHL 

I love the way B Tanev plays too he's got the hustle big time

1 hour ago, Billabong said:

Cowgary is dumb for letting this out. All it does is drive down the price from eastern teams. They won't do Tanev a favour.

• ThereItIs 1

love Pesce 

is SEA out of it...?

Move 1:

to SEA

to VAN

Brandon Tanev (3.5 mil)

Move 2:

Sign Tanev in offseason

Milky Petey Kuzy

PDG Miller Brock

Tanev Suter Hoglander

Joshua Bluegger Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Cole (re sign ) Larsson

Soucy Tanev 

Demko

Desmith 

that's top roster in NHL 

I mentioned Larsson the other day, he'd be an EXCELLENT add (as would B Tanev) IMO (was so disappointed he didn't explore UFA). Doubtful SEA moves him with 1 year left...and there's that inter-divisional thing again...but I'd sure be making a phone call.

Probably prefer another piece to Podz (and Silovs) though...but those pieces can be swapped in/out endlessly.

4 hours ago, Dankmemes187 said:

the thing about penalties not being called in the playoffs doesnt exist anymore, it may come back at any time but for the last few seasons we have seen more penalties and more powerplays in the playoffs. which is a good thing for us. the league has been fairly consistent with the instigator penalty this season and PPO has gone up almost 0.5 a powerplay a game this season... the league is under scrutiny to be more consistent and they are delivering, just so happens its the year we have an amazing powerplay... this season is made for us...

im more enclined to make a trade now that soucy is injured... Zadorovs minutes will be  more valuable than garlands or Beaus... the only issue is Zadorov isnt a right shooting RD we need tanev more than we need zads

The numbers show us that more penalties are actually called in the post season now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I truly don't think this is the year to be spending assets on additions.  Work hard this season, get some playoff games in, try to go on a good run and spend wisely in the off season

And with JR and Allvin that’s almost certainly what will happen. They are not Benning. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Don't disagree. Zadorov is basically a younger, bigger, meaner, longer term version of him though. If we can add him for moderate asset cost, or as a UFA (for zero assets), he'd lend some longer term stability to that 2nd pair LD, and some cost certainty.

image.png.d9ffd3b27bd8991baa53d9ad6c2d4f74.png image.png.7ad963c19a40938c0d52a9d926baf87a.png

There are definitely a lot of similarities there for sure.  But here's the thing - I would rather have a couple more years of an aging Ian Cole at that price than pay Zadorov 4 years at over $4M, which I think he can pretty easily earn in free agency.  Ryan Graves got 6x$4.5M this summer.

• Cheers 1