[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Flames not interested in making a trade with Canucks: report

Nov 17 2023, 1:43 pm

My guess is Zadorov goes to TOR. Conroy does a deal with the ex-Flames GM, Treliving. Maybe Gio+ returns to CGY. 

What's Edler doing? 

I heard your extra extra, but where can I read all about it?

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

I truly don't think this is the year to be spending assets on additions.  Work hard this season, get some playoff games in, try to go on a good run and spend wisely in the off season

how much better are your best players going to get than, you now, best in the league? if not now, when do you surround them with the best chance to win?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, tas said:

how much better are your best players going to get than, you now, best in the league? if not now, when do you surround them with the best chance to win?

People always waiting until everything is perfect.  It never is.  Just ask Boston last year.  Petey could blow out his knee next year, then what?  Wait until 2025?  Then Demko blows out his knee.  Then what?

If you have the team in place then you take the shot.  You go for it.  That's how it works.  This team is ready NOW to win the cup. We just need to add a couple of dmen.

Just remember, you may only have one chance at the cup.  THE CHANCE MAY NEVER COME AGAIN, if you don't believe me just ask Ray Bourque...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, tas said:

It's depth that wins you cups, not stars.  They don't have the depth yet they need to really be contenders.  It's been great watching them punch above their weight class, but unless they're at the very top of their game, they're still very beatable.

They're on the right path, and like every team who gets on the right path, it takes a few tries to really get there.  I think their real window is still a couple seasons away

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

People always waiting until everything is perfect.  It never is.  Just ask Boston last year.  Petey could blow out his knee next year, then what?  Wait until 2025?  Then Demko blows out his knee.  Then what?

If you have the team in place then you take the shot.  You go for it.  That's how it works.  This team is ready NOW to win the cup. We just need to add a couple of dmen.

Just remember, you may only have one chance at the cup.  THE CHANCE MAY NEVER COME AGAIN, if you don't believe me just ask Ray Bourque...

Or, what happens most often is that a team will go all in before they're really ready, deplete their prospect/pick cupboard and never get to the promised land.  That's what happens to the overwhelming majority of teams who jump the gun

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's depth that wins you cups, not stars.  They don't have the depth yet they need to really be contenders.  It's been great watching them punch above their weight class, but unless they're at the very top of their game, they're still very beatable.

They're on the right path, and like every team who gets on the right path, it takes a few tries to really get there.  I think their real window is still a couple seasons away

look at Vegas, they realized they had a good core and decided to go for it every year 

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

look at Vegas, they realized they had a good core and decided to go for it every year 

And it took them what, 5 years to get there?  They didn't go all in right away, the slowly built up their depth, added a superstar and spread their cap around nicely.  

They were also given a leg up by the nhl that no other expansion teams ever got.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I truly don't think this is the year to be spending assets on additions.  Work hard this season, get some playoff games in, try to go on a good run and spend wisely in the off season

I agree with you 100%. I see some folks are insisting now is time to go for it, but I see this yr more as a step forward. I don't really understand the view that if we don't go for it this yr then we won't be as good next yr? If we have indeed built a good team with an identity then it should be sustainable. It's not cup or bust. If we go on a good run in the playoffs, great. If not then we can continue to improve in the offseason. I'm just happy that the team is heading in the right direction. MGMT has made smart decisions so far. I don't want us to go backwards.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Or, what happens most often is that a team will go all in before they're really ready, deplete their prospect/pick cupboard and never get to the promised land.  That's what happens to the overwhelming majority of teams who jump the gun

There is no such thing as jumping the gun.  When you have the team you go for it.  Just like Boston did last year.  The went for it and lost.  They lost because nothing is ever perfect.  Their goaltending failed them in the playoffs.  Anything can happen in the playoffs.  You want to wait a couple more years until this team is perfect.  What if it never is?  What if some of the core players get injured?  What if Demko stinks the joint out in the playoffs?

It's never a sure thing.  And it's always a terrible time to wait until everything is perfect.  Carolina is a great example of that.  They've been waiting for the perfect moment to take the shot, they never take the risk to go all in, and now they are left with a bunch of UFA's this year.  So what do they do?  Are they going all in this year or are they just going to wait it out and retool their defence over the next 3 years?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Wing said:

I agree with you 100%. I see some folks are insisting now is time to go for it, but I see this yr more as a step forward. I don't really understand the view that if we don't go for it this yr then we won't be as good next yr? If we have indeed built a good team with an identity then it should be sustainable. It's not cup or bust. If we go on a good run in the playoffs, great. If not then we can continue to improve in the offseason. I'm just happy that the team is heading in the right direction. MGMT has made smart decisions so far. I don't want us to go backwards.

What's wrong with going all in this year and next year?  Wouldn't our players be coming back next year too?  Why limit this team to one playoff round this year when they have the horses to win several playoff rounds with better support?  We can go all in this year and still bring back the same team next year too...

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

And it took them what, 5 years to get there?  They didn't go all in right away, the slowly built up their depth, added a superstar and spread their cap around nicely.  

They were also given a leg up by the nhl that no other expansion teams ever got.

They were literally created only 6 years ago.  The same timeframe as our core started to get built.  This is Petey's 6th year with the team.  How much longer is he supposed to wait until he wins the cup?  Gretzky already won all his cups by age 27.  Petey is already 25 now, Demko is 28 and Miller is 30.  Time is ticking.  This core isn't 20 years old...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They were literally created only 6 years ago.  The same timeframe as our core started to get built.  This is Petey's 6th year with the team.  How much longer is he supposed to wait until he wins the cup?  Gretzky already won all his cups by age 27.  Petey is already 25 now, Demko is 28 and Miller is 30.  Time is ticking.  This core isn't 20 years old...

Yip. It's why I don't mind seeing our first dangled for the right player. Our window is now. Ready or not, it's now.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And they went to the Cup final in year 1 and stayed at the top ever since........but didn't get to the Cup until last year, after 5 attempts.  That's how it is for almost every team who wins, outside of the occassional Cinderella run

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Yip. It's why I don't mind seeing our first dangled for the right player. Our window is now. Ready or not, it's now.

The window is opening now, but it's not open yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

And they went to the Cup final in year 1 and stayed at the top ever since........but didn't get to the Cup until last year, after 5 attempts.  That's how it is for almost every team who wins, outside of the occassional Cinderella run

And, so what's your point?  You just made my point even better.  It's almost impossible to even get to the finals, nevermind win it all.  Vegas is a perfect example of that.  So, they needed to wait 5 more years just to get back to the finals.  We haven't even been to the finals.  So, is our timeline another 6 years now?

The fact that a great team like Vegas has a hard time getting back to the finals proves my point even moreso.  THE CHANCE MAY NEVER COME AGAIN.  That's why you need to take the shot when you have the opportunity.  Especially in this day and age with so much parity in the league...

• Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

No one really knows when the window is though, there's no sure sign. Boston won one a cup at the start of their window, Blues won one at their tight window. Neither team new they were winning a cup that year and were no more in their window than us.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

And, so what's your point?  You just made my point even better.  It's almost impossible to even get to the finals, nevermind win it all.  Vegas is a perfect example of that.  So, they needed to wait 5 more years just to get back to the finals.  We haven't even been to the finals.  So, is our timeline another 6 years now?

The fact that a great team like Vegas has a hard time getting back to the finals proves my point even moreso.  THE CHANCE MAY NEVER COME AGAIN.  That's why you need to take the shot when you have the opportunity.  Especially in this day and age with so much parity in the league...

I'd say the Canucks true contender window is 2-3 years away, yes.  

Just now, Rekker said:

No one really knows when the window is though, there's no sure sign. Boston won one a cup at the start of their window, Blues won one at their tight window. Neither team new they were winning a cup that year and were no more in their window than us.

The Blues were a Cinderella run, worst team in the league on Jan 1 and have been "meh" ever since.

Did Boston win the cup in their first playoff appearance?

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You do it incrementally, trying, failing and adding more pieces each time you don't get there

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our guys are prime aged which is why we are now seeing great success that and a great supporting cast.  Depth on back end is still canucks wild card.

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

they would be adding depth though right? isn't that the idea? or should all this depth be drafted and developed so that our stars age out? do you really want to miss out on capitalizing on what could easily be the career years for each and every one of the team's core players?

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Blues were a Cinderella run, worst team in the league on Jan 1 and have been "meh" ever since.

Did Boston win the cup in their first playoff appearance?

this core played 2+ rounds and showed well in the playoffs already.