[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

No one really knows when the window is though, there's no sure sign. Boston won one a cup at the start of their window, Blues won one at their tight window. Neither team new they were winning a cup that year and were no more in their window than us.

St. Louis is a perfect example.  They weren't even in the playoffs in January.  They went on a hot streak, made some moves and took the shot.  And they won it all.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Blues were a Cinderella run, worst team in the league on Jan 1 and have been "meh" ever since.

Did Boston win the cup in their first playoff appearance?

It is nice to go back and fort.Forum is made for it.We all shouldn't forget one thing.PA is gm ,but Rutherford is big kahuna.I think he want things done sooner then later.About owner i dont want to even talk.You find something worthy on our way,you should buy it.Contend or not

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko may not even be around in 3 years.  And Miller will be 33.  Petey is not even a sure thing to be here.  Luckily Allvin isn't dumb enough to wait 3 years to take the shot.  I know he is working hard to do something now...

He might not, that's true.  But, ideally, they assemble a lineup where they don't lean heavily on the goalie.

After such a long road to get to a point where there's prospect depth, after the disasteroys Gillis years depleted, you want to go back down that road?  I want to see a team that will be able to have a steady flow of good, young players stepping in to replace older, high priced veterans without taking massive steps back 

You don't do that by "going all in" at the first whiff of success.

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

St. Louis is a perfect example.  They weren't even in the playoffs in January.  They went on a hot streak, made some moves and took the shot.  And they won it all.

And then what?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Per 650 and Dhaliwal speculation 

- Canucks really want a D man Now!

- Canucks working phones hard 

- they love Tanev and Zadorov but CGY charging them a premium which Canucks think is rediculous given they will both be UFAs and even if traded Tanev may hold out to sign with chance to take to VAN after July 1

- they didn’t get into prices 

- a lot of teams calling on Tanev 

- CGY wants to move all players East 

Not surprising that Calgary wouldn't want to trade with us, they've been better of late and aren't that far out of a playoff spot. If they trade their pending UFA's, and they likely will, they'll probably look for a mix of picks, prospects, young NHL'ers with potential, or players under contract 

I don't think they'll be tearing things down, I reckon they'll try to do more of a competitive retool

Could see Zadorov in Toronto or Jersey, could see Washington or Boston having interest in Lindholm as they both have a clear need for a #1C

Lot of teams could easily fit Tanev in if Calgary retains, and if they're smart they'll retain on three of Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm, and Zadorov

Hanifin should command a lot of interest, he's the guy Calgary probably gets the most for imo 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Flames not interested in making a trade with Canucks: report

Nov 17 2023, 1:43 pm

My guess is Zadorov goes to TOR. Conroy does a deal with the ex-Flames GM, Treliving. Maybe Gio+ returns to CGY. 

What's Edler doing? 

Edler ?

He’s here somewhere.. 😉 

digging your own grave GIF

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The Blues were a Cinderella run, worst team in the league on Jan 1 and have been "meh" ever since.

Did Boston win the cup in their first playoff appearance?

You do it incrementally, trying, failing and adding more pieces each time you don't get there

I don't understand this moment in time when it's "right", to go for it. How it can be predicted from now, to a few years from now. Please elaborate, and then pass it onto management. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, Rekker said:

I don't understand this moment in time when it's "right", to go for it. How it can be predicted from now, to a few years from now. Please elaborate, and then pass it onto management. 

It's not like it's some state secret that, for the vast majority of teams, getting a Cup is an extended process of getting to the playoffs and failing and making adjustments in the off season, getting to the playoffs and getting a little further and failing........rinse and repeat until you've got the depth and playoff experience to win the toughest trophy in sports to win.

They're at the start of that process......I'm not saying they shouldn't make moves, just not ones that are going to weaken the prospect/pick cupboards at this point.  

Work hard this season, push as hard as they can in a playoff run and fill holes and make adjustments in the off season UFA market and see where it goes the next season.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko may not even be around in 3 years.  And Miller will be 33.  Petey is not even a sure thing to be here.  Luckily Allvin isn't dumb enough to wait 3 years to take the shot.  I know he is working hard to do something now...

Not only Demko... Hughes, Petey, Boeser etc.... the list is long.

The first 2 years after the OEL buyout were always targeted as giving it a shot... Maybe one of the reasons Pettersson is reportedly looking at a 3-4 year extension only.

It may be hard to keep the core together for more than 2-3 years, so don't wait for the sun to shine, as it may never happen in time.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not surprising that Calgary wouldn't want to trade with us, they've been better of late and aren't that far out of a playoff spot. If they trade their pending UFA's, and they likely will, they'll probably look for a mix of picks, prospects, young NHL'ers with potential, or players under contract 

I don't think they'll be tearing things down, I reckon they'll try to do more of a competitive retool

Could see Zadorov in Toronto or Jersey, could see Washington or Boston having interest in Lindholm as they both have a clear need for a #1C

Lot of teams could easily fit Tanev in if Calgary retains, and if they're smart they'll retain on three of Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm, and Zadorov

Hanifin should command a lot of interest, he's the guy Calgary probably gets the most for imo 

Lindholm to Boston makes sense.

If the price is too high for Zadorov and or Tanev, Canucks should pass.  

If Calgary wants to retool, maybe it will be Hoglander, but he's Petey's friend and has upside.  

Yeah, maybe Edler still has some old man strength, sign in Van get his name on the cup.  I'd prefer him to Bear.

Flames won last night, but thought Canucks made them look below average first 10 mins of the game.  Canucks needed their 3rd and 4th lines and depth d to come thru for them to get the win last night and they couldn't get it done.  

Canucks need their Abby players to get better fast... need another gamebreaker or two.  Biggest disappointment this season has been their younger players not ready to take a step.  Maybe try out a few more of these players before selling the farm to Calgary.  

3 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

Lindholm to Boston makes sense.

If the price is too high for Zadorov and or Tanev, Canucks should pass.  

If Calgary wants to retool, maybe it will be Hoglander, but he's Petey's friend and has upside.  

Yeah, maybe Edler still has some old man strength, sign in Van get his name on the cup.  I'd prefer him to Bear.

Flames won last night, but thought Canucks made them look below average first 10 mins of the game.  Canucks needed their 3rd and 4th lines and depth d to come thru for them to get the win last night and they couldn't get it done.  

Canucks need their Abby players to get better fast... need another gamebreaker or two.  Biggest disappointment this season has been their younger players not ready to take a step.  Maybe try out a few more of these players before selling the farm to Calgary.  

Zadorov and Tanev doesn't cost the farm.Hell Hronek didn't cost farm.Where all this stories coming from?lol

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Not only Demko... Hughes, Petey, Boeser etc.... the list is long.

The first 2 years after the OEL buyout were always targeted as giving it a shot... Maybe one of the reasons Pettersson is reportedly looking at a 3-4 year extension only.

It may be hard to keep the core together for more than 2-3 years, so don't wait for the sun to shine, as it may never happen in time.

And that fits the window of 2-3 years before they get to that "true contender" window.  

By all means, they should look at making smart, cost effective moves, but not at the expense of young players or first round picks.  They're going to need that depth when they are truly competitive 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Zadorov and Tanev doesn't cost the farm.Hell Hronek didn't cost farm.Where all this stories coming from?lol

Cowtown's gm won't send Tanev here, and that's ok. He'll get less from Toronto and we can sign him as a FA. Win for us.

Bear should be a cheap add, or maybe Allvin has another rabbit in his hat no one predicted.

• ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Agree.  Canucks have emerged as contenders and should take multiple attempts at the cup starting this year.   

2024 1st round pick should be on the table for this year, 2025 1st round pick on the table for next year.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Cowtown's gm won't send Tanev here, and that's ok. He'll get less from Toronto and we can sign him as a FA. Win for us.

Bear should be a cheap add, or maybe Allvin has another rabbit in his hat no one predicted.

That is media puling stories.You take best deal.Always

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And, so what's your point?  You just made my point even better.  It's almost impossible to even get to the finals, nevermind win it all.  Vegas is a perfect example of that.  So, they needed to wait 5 more years just to get back to the finals.  We haven't even been to the finals.  So, is our timeline another 6 years now?

The fact that a great team like Vegas has a hard time getting back to the finals proves my point even moreso.  THE CHANCE MAY NEVER COME AGAIN.  That's why you need to take the shot when you have the opportunity.  Especially in this day and age with so much parity in the league...

Couldn’t agree more.

Gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

The fact the west is so wide open this year is crazy to me. They have a unique chance this year to bolster their club and make a run at it…because frankly the west is a mess, seems like all the teams are disorganized and underperforming for one reason or another. 

I don’t mind taking that shot this year. Show the core of this team you’re serious. These young guys are so hungry for playoff hockey. No reason to back off and be shy about things now.

And honestly if they blow a first and second pick to do so it’s not the end of the world. As they have a solid group of young prospects that are up and coming too. Cupboards are stocked nicely right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Couldn’t agree more.

Gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

The fact the west is so wide open this year is crazy to me. They have a unique chance this year to bolster their club and make a run at it…because frankly the west is a mess, seems like all the teams are disorganized and underperforming for one reason or another. 

I don’t mind taking that shot this year. Show the core of this team you’re serious. These young guys are so hungry for playoff hockey. No reason to back off and be shy about things now.

And honestly if they blow a first and second pick to do so it’s not the end of the world. As they have a solid group of young prospects that are up and coming too. Cupboards are stocked nicely right now.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And, so what's your point?  You just made my point even better.  It's almost impossible to even get to the finals, nevermind win it all.  Vegas is a perfect example of that.  So, they needed to wait 5 more years just to get back to the finals.  We haven't even been to the finals.  So, is our timeline another 6 years now?

The fact that a great team like Vegas has a hard time getting back to the finals proves my point even moreso.  THE CHANCE MAY NEVER COME AGAIN.  That's why you need to take the shot when you have the opportunity.  Especially in this day and age with so much parity in the league...

I totally agree, excellent posts.

It's not as if we need to add half a dozen phenoms, a couple of key additions (which we all know which ones) and we're going on tour...

This core can make some noise if they're rewarded with an upgraded roster, and the time is NOW, this year all the stars could line up, and if they don't? Oh fkn well, they get a kick at the can the following year, while hungrier and more experienced.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Sophomore Jinx said:

I totally agree, excellent posts.

It's not as if we need to add half a dozen phenoms, a couple of key additions (which we all know which ones) and we're going on tour...

This core can make some noise if they're rewarded with an upgraded roster, and the time is NOW, this year all the stars could line up, and if they don't? Oh fkn well, they get a kick at the can the following year, while hungrier and more experienced.

These windows people are talking about are moving objects. You can use various examples of “teams windows” but the reality is a window starts when your core is ready. We have a core, they are ready, aim, fuckin fire. 

I’m tired of not pushing the chips in and slowly plucking away at things.

Right now we have a hungry core, solid coaching, and solid management…3 years from now who knows. 

1 year, 1 shot, i’m crazy enough to do it…although it’s not crazy it’s smart I think. You take advantage of the weak west this year and you go as far as you can with it.

We will all love the ride i’m sure of it lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1