[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

These windows people are talking about are moving objects. You can use various examples of “teams windows” but the reality is a window starts when your core is ready. We have a core, they are ready, aim, fuckin fire. 

I’m tired of not pushing the chips in and slowly plucking away at things.

Right now we have a hungry core, solid coaching, and solid management…3 years from now who knows. 

1 year, 1 shot, i’m crazy enough to do it…although it’s not crazy it’s smart I think. You take advantage of the weak west this year and you go as far as you can with it.

We will all love the ride i’m sure of it lol

Couldn't agree more. The cautious approach can GTFO haha. 

It is obvious that the core is ready, and they want it now...if you asked the leadership group if it wants to wait around for a few more years they'd tell you to GFY and head for the exit.

The "cautious" approach, in thinking it's only 2 or 3 years away can backfire and become 10 years...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

And that fits the window of 2-3 years before they get to that "true contender" window.  

By all means, they should look at making smart, cost effective moves, but not at the expense of young players or first round picks.  They're going to need that depth when they are truly competitive 

I'm not too concerned with the 1st round pick, but agree that Lekkerimaki and Willander, maybe Brustewich (forgot the spelling) should not be touched, but the rest is 6 and half a dusin. 

I would like a proper 2nd pairing D man, and still hoping for a proper rough middle 6 winger with a bit of size... but are also aware that beggers can't be choosers. 

In saying all the above, I think JRs plan was always to push for this window together with next year... Once OELs $4M cap hell kicks in, some nasty choices has to be made, and I hope we are not locked to expenssive contracts, that means we have to pay a heavy price to get cap compliant. IE letting go of stars for nothing, or add our too prospects to cover the costs..

For now though, I say lets run with the horses, and take stock come January/February, when we know, what this team is capable of. 

Screwed dealings like the signing of Lafferty, would be welcome... and if we are really lucky a rhd or rugged winger can be found miraculously...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

He might not, that's true.  But, ideally, they assemble a lineup where they don't lean heavily on the goalie.

After such a long road to get to a point where there's prospect depth, after the disasteroys Gillis years depleted, you want to go back down that road?  I want to see a team that will be able to have a steady flow of good, young players stepping in to replace older, high priced veterans without taking massive steps back 

You don't do that by "going all in" at the first whiff of success.

And then what?

And then what?  They won the f*cking cup.  There is no and then what.  They did it.  Their fans can die in peace.  Meanwhile, Canucks fans have to suffer another 50+ years because we needed the team to be perfect in order to take the shot...

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Cowtown's gm won't send Tanev here, and that's ok. He'll get less from Toronto and we can sign him as a FA. Win for us.

Bear should be a cheap add, or maybe Allvin has another rabbit in his hat no one predicted.

Are we going to get Tanev on a 2 year deal? To me the term is critical. Maybe but I doubt it. At what cost? Hronek is the 1D and Meyers is holding down 2D. Meyers isn't ideal but he is done this year. Tanev has been gone 4 years. As well as the Canucks are playing I still think they have to focus on 2025 for a serious CUP run. Creating CAP room will be critical to leaving options for PA to add at the critical point. As well as Abby is doing I can see a number of players moving up on cheap contracts that will allow a serious CUP run. 

Last year fans wanted Kuzmenko extended at $8 million. Is Tanev still a 2RD and what will be be in year 2 of any deal? I don't like the odds. But what do I know I wanted to move Miller.  

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'm not too concerned with the 1st round pick, but agree that Lekkerimaki and Willander, maybe Brustewich (forgot the spelling) should not be touched, but the rest is 6 and half a dusin. 

I would like a proper 2nd pairing D man, and still hoping for a proper rough middle 6 winger with a bit of size... but are also aware that beggers can't be choosers. 

In saying all the above, I think JRs plan was always to push for this window together with next year... Once OELs $4M cap hell kicks in, some nasty choices has to be made, and I hope we are not locked to expenssive contracts, that means we have to pay a heavy price to get cap compliant. IE letting go of stars for nothing, or add our too prospects to cover the costs..

For now though, I say lets run with the horses, and take stock come January/February, when we know, what this team is capable of. 

Screwed dealings like the signing of Lafferty, would be welcome... and if we are really lucky a rhd or rugged winger can be found miraculously...

1st rounders shouldn't be touched either, unless it's a killer deal that benefits the team long term.  Cinderella runs are fund and dandy and can be a lot of fun, but they are rare and if you go all in and miss, which almost all teams do, there's usually a hard fall after that.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Are we going to get Tanev on a 2 year deal? To me the term is critical. Maybe but I doubt it. At what cost? Hronek is the 1D and Meyers is holding down 2D. Meyers isn't ideal but he is done this year. Tanev has been gone 4 years. As well as the Canucks are playing I still think they have to focus on 2025 for a serious CUP run. Creating CAP room will be critical to leaving options for PA to add at the critical point. As well as Abby is doing I can see a number of players moving up on cheap contracts that will allow a serious CUP run. 

Last year fans wanted Kuzmenko extended at $8 million. Is Tanev still a 2RD and what will be be in year 2 of any deal? I don't like the odds. But what do I know I wanted to move Miller.  

I don't think Allvin would overpay for him, maybe something like Cole's deal?

5 hours ago, stawns said:

1st rounders shouldn't be touched either, unless it's a killer deal that benefits the team long term.  Cinderella runs are fund and dandy and can be a lot of fun, but they are rare and if you go all in and miss, which almost all teams do, there's usually a hard fall after that.  

I agree, but the deal they swung for Hronek would look good once again, although I'd prefer a slightly lesser player with a longer term contract at less $... 

I won't name anyone, but a no4 rhd on a 3 year deal not too expensive, would look great just about now. 
If we can't do it over the next 2-3 years, a rebuild of some sort may be happening regardless, and we may be able to recoup the draft pick. 
Don't get me wrong, i want 1st round picks as well, but (hopefully) we'll be picking middle to late twentieth at worst, so the value of that pick is not end all be all...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

These windows people are talking about are moving objects. You can use various examples of “teams windows” but the reality is a window starts when your core is ready. We have a core, they are ready, aim, fuckin fire. 

I’m tired of not pushing the chips in and slowly plucking away at things.

Right now we have a hungry core, solid coaching, and solid management…3 years from now who knows. 

1 year, 1 shot, i’m crazy enough to do it…although it’s not crazy it’s smart I think. You take advantage of the weak west this year and you go as far as you can with it.

We will all love the ride i’m sure of it lol

Nothing wrong with adding but don't blow good assets on a Zadorov type. We saw too many years of shitting away picks and having no prospects which IS counterproductive to what is going on here. 

You need those good young pieces to regularly cycle into the lineup to maintain and grow your team.

Sure, at some point make a move to upgrade the defense with one or two more additions. Maybe change the look of the forward group if you need to, but don't crap away a top pick or top prospect on a Zadorov or Tanev. Think bigger if you truly see this team as having a chance.

Vegas, Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles to name a few will be right in Vancouver's way this year. West is not weak but has very bad bottom teams, not do much an opportunity to take advantage as one might think. There is a lot of tough competition.

• Cheers 2

Perhaps we sweeten the pot, but they sweeten as well.

Zadorov & Poposil 

For

Beauviller , Woolanin, Karlsson, Woo 

(or something like that) 😉 

our farm is still looking pretty good with a move “LIKE” that.

Not saying this is the move,.  But perhaps there is a way to be creative, that keeps us in the 3+ year window of payoff contention?

just sayin.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

I agree, but the deal they swung for Hronek would look good once again, although I'd prefer a slightly lesser player with a longer term contract at less $... 

I won't name anyone, but a no4 rhd on a 3 year deal not too expensive, would look great just about now. 
If we can do it over the next 2-3 years, a rebuild of some sort may be happening regardless, and we may be able to recoup the draft pick. 
Don't get me wrong, i want 1st round picks as well, but (hopefully) we'll be picking middle to late twentieth at worst, so the value of that pick is not end all be all...

Agreed, a hronek level deal, sure.  Zadotov or Tanev, f*** no

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Perhaps we sweeten the pot, but they sweeten as well.

Zadorov & Poposil 

For

Beauviller , Woolanin, Karlsson, Woo 

(or something like that) 😉 

our farm is still looking pretty good with a move “LIKE” that.

Not saying this is the move,.  But perhaps there is a way to be creative, that keeps us in the 3+ year window of payoff contention?

just sayin.

Well if we could swing a deal like that, not costing us our top prospects or the 1st it would be ideal, but fear the costs to get those players from a divisional rival would cost more...

I don't think either Zadorov or Tanev will be traded to the Cancuks. 

I said it a while back when this whole trade speculation started and i believe it even more now. If we want them we'd have to vastly overpay. So it's very unlikely...

Time to start looking elsewhere and talking about potential trade targets from some other teams. 

• Cheers 4

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't think either Zadorov or Tanev will be traded to the Cancuks. 

I said it a while back when this whole trade speculation started and i believe it even more now. If we want them we'd have to vastly overpay. So it's very unlikely...

Time to start looking elsewhere and talking about potential trade targets from some other teams. 

Or using UFA and keeping picks and prospects 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Or using UFA and keeping picks and prospects 

I dont think we have that luxury.You grinding your top blue line to the ground.And you pray that Petersson sign new contract.You are two blue liners far from bean top 5 nhl team.

1 minute ago, Lemon Face said:

I dont think we have that luxury.You grinding your top blue line to the ground.And you pray that Petersson sign new contract.You are two blue liners far from bean top 5 nhl team.

If you have logic chance you go after

Edited by Lemon Face
Grammar mistace
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, canucks curse said:

they need somebody that's for sure, cannot run Hughes Hronek into ground 

now is the time to beef up the D, that would help immensely 

I also think they need a better bottom 6 with one more rugged forward 

I am sure PA has his pro scouts looking at D from teams other than CGY 

Agreed with both, but I think the condition is that we have to be able to retain who we acquire, since we're probably not best served with getting rentals.

We do need to bolster our D but with two things in mind:  (1) the looming OEL buyout penalty (2) the hope that some or all of Willander, Brzustewicz and D-Petey will be ready in 2 year or so.  That suggests more acquisitions like Cole:  experienced guys who can still play, but aren't candidates for big money or term and might even be rentals.  From a hockey point of view it would be great if we were in a position to get a young D on the upswing but I think we already did that with Hronek and probably can't afford another one cap wise.  So I expect Allvin to shuffle cheaper, older guys through for the next couple of years until the guys we have in the system are ready.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

If you have logic chance you go after

I think they'll have the cap space in the fall

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't see this management team sitting around until next summer to improve the team. 

Especially after the start we've had.

They'll definitely make trades. We will have to wait and see what happens but I can't imagine them waiting for UFAs next summer..  

We'll see.........I think they know how the process of building a winner works and I doubt they'll overpay just because they've had a first taste of success.  

32 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I wonder if a Petey signing will happen before the first trade? It would surely be nice to know what we're working with before bringing in others and squeezing Petey again with the excuse "we don't have the cap space."

Bening is fired 2 years ago

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Boy, a little success sure puts stars into a lot of people's eyes and makes them forget what it's like to have a bare prospect cupboard

Yup. Benning sure did leave our prospect cupboards empty. This new group has done a great job building it up again. 
Benning spent picks and prospects in hops of winning in the moment. IMHAO he would have kept those picks and prospects if not for the owner pushing him. 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Benning sure did leave our prospect cupboards empty. This new group has done a great job building it up again. 
Benning spent picks and prospects in hops of winning in the moment. IMHAO he would have kept those picks and prospects if not for the owner pushing him. 

No, Gillis did