[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser is on pace for 62 goals. He is going to want a 9x8 contract. Don’t think Allvin is going to re-sign him. We have Lekkerimaki coming to take his place. Kuzmenko will be cheaper to re-sign. 

So we can trade Boeser in the summer for a top 4 RHD. 

Well, I highly doubt he hits 60+ goals, but I do agree that eventually a player like Lekkerimaki will end up replacing one of the two players. Hoglander as well. If he can work on his game away from the puck, he’s going to get a serious chance with Pettersson or Miller. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

Well, I highly doubt he hits 60+ goals, but I do agree that eventually a player like Lekkerimaki will end up replacing one of the two players. Hoglander as well. If he can work on his game away from the puck, he’s going to get a serious chance with Pettersson or Miller. 

Yes, I agree.  Even if Boeser hits 40 goals, he' still going to command $8 million.  If we are paying Petey $12 million then we can't afford to be paying any wingers $8 million.  If Kuzmenko peaks at 30 goals, then we can probably extend him in the $6-6.5 million range.  We will need Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Bains, etc, to come in on cheap ELC's to offset Petey's contract.  Same with the backend.  If we are re-signing Hronek to a $7-7.5 million deal, then we can't afford another similar top 4 RHD.  We will simply need a stopgap like Tanev until Willander is ready to make the big club on a cheap ELC contract.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 11/17/2023 at 1:05 PM, canucks curse said:

Per 650 and Dhaliwal speculation 

- Canucks really want a D man Now!

- Canucks working phones hard 

- they love Tanev and Zadorov but CGY charging them a premium which Canucks think is rediculous given they will both be UFAs and even if traded Tanev may hold out to sign with chance to take to VAN after July 1

- they didn’t get into prices 

- a lot of teams calling on Tanev 

- CGY wants to move all players East 

Who would other d men out there ?

they said no to edler - they can confirm Canucks have no interest 

- Dhaliwal speculated “a name that came up” Troy Stetcher 

no one has mentioned

- JJ Moser…

- CBJ is a tite fire maybe we can get one of their good d men - not Guddy, not Peeke not Boqvist ???

to CBJ 

beauvellier 

klimovich 

to VAN 

peeke 

cap space 

sign Phil the Thrill and Bear 

milky Petey Kuzy 

pDG Miller Brock

Garland Suter Kessel 

joshua Bluegger Hogz

hughes Hronek 

cole Bear 

Soucy Myers 

——-/ Peeke 

6 hours ago, canucks curse said:

they said no to edler - they can confirm Canucks have no interest 

- Dhaliwal speculated “a name that came up” Troy Stetcher 

no one has mentioned

- JJ Moser…

- CBJ is a tite fire maybe we can get one of their good d men - not Guddy, not Peeke not Boqvist ???

to CBJ 

beauvellier 

klimovich 

to VAN 

peeke 

cap space 

sign Phil the Thrill and Bear 

milky Petey Kuzy 

pDG Miller Brock

Garland Suter Kessel 

joshua Bluegger Hogz

hughes Hronek 

cole Bear 

Soucy Myers 

——-/ Peeke 

That would still look a lot better if we can also move Garland and add some meat and potatoes to that 4th line.

Also Bear hasn't played in MONTHS and is coming off injury. Good chance Peeke starts ahead of him in that scenario.

Mik, Petey, Kuzy 

PDG, Miller, Boeser

Hoglander, Suter, Kessel 

Joshua, Blueger, M&P

Hughes, Hronek

Cole, Peeke

Soucy (Hirose), Myers

Bear on conditioning stint in Abby.

Then retain and move Myers at the TDL and add a better D then with the cap space.

Speaking further to my last post, balancing the needs of the active NHL roster and the needs of the organization in terms of depth is so important, so critical. It's not an easy happy medium to find, it's like walking a tightrope for NHL executives. 

It's why I'm more bullish than most when it comes to picks, because they are what are going to get us players on ELC's and you need players on ELC's or players with smaller cap hits playing above their cap hit in today's NHL. Top picks are how we get the Willander's and the Lekkerimaki caliber players on the cheap. Picks are simultaneously a currancy for trades, overrated and underrated, critical to developing prospect depth, and the best way of acquiring top end players. 

The cheapest way to acquire top four D, top six wingers, top three centers, ect is to draft and develop them yourself. It'll always cost you more to try and poach another team's successful prospect than it will to draft and develop such a prospect yourself. Drafting and developing well are critical to a team's success because most prospects don't step in like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes. Most prospects take longer. 

You always need to be adding players to the pipeline, this management group has been doing a pretty good job of that. I hope it's a theme that continues. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Guessing these guys would be available via trade:

Zadorov

Tanev

Peeke

Alexandre Carrier

Fabbro

Rutta

Colin Miller

Less likely but possibly still available via trade:

Murphy

Lauzon

Lyubushkin

Gudbranson

Boqvist

Other targets that VAN may be interested in as UFA in the upcoming off season:

Pesce

Roy

DeMelo

Hakanpaa

Montour

Brodie

Dumba

Dillon (LD)

Skjei (LD)

If we could get Tanev with about 350k retained, for Beauvillier and a mid to late round pick, all for it. I've stated throughout this thread that we shouldn't mortgage the future for this year. If we can grab Tanev and extend him for a season or two at a reasonable rate, then all for it.

Tanev is about to turn 34 this year, so if we could bring him in and extend him for 2 seasons, keeping in mind that he'll be 34 at the start of next season. Extension, something along the lines of 3.5 million year one, 2 million year 2, 2.75 million cap hit.

• ThereItIs 1

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I agree.  Even if Boeser hits 40 goals, he' still going to command $8 million.  If we are paying Petey $12 million then we can't afford to be paying any wingers $8 million.  If Kuzmenko peaks at 30 goals, then we can probably extend him in the $6-6.5 million range.  We will need Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Bains, etc, to come in on cheap ELC's to offset Petey's contract.  Same with the backend.  If we are re-signing Hronek to a $7-7.5 million deal, then we can't afford another similar top 4 RHD.  We will simply need a stopgap like Tanev until Willander is ready to make the big club on a cheap ELC contract.

Pretty sure we could make Boeser fit although, that doesn't necessarily mean that we "should". All depends on how our kids develop and there will be other moves.

Here's a hypothetical lineup for 25/26 season that makes certain assumptions, including that after projected increase to 87.5 million next summer, that we'll get another 2 million the following summer (could easily go to another 3 - 3.5 million that summer). 21 man roster, so add a couple more 950k contracts to round out 23 players, but this has $3,380,000 in available cap space.

I'm assuming that Kuzmenko will want to stick around at 7.5 million long-term

I'm assuming that we trade Garland that summer at the latest with 1.25 million retained for a mid round pick

That Podkolzin will still be with us and will be finding his game and be on a 2.25 million 2 year bridge deal

That Aman will continue to develop and will be holding down 3C and that Raty will be 4C, but interchange them. 1.5 million bridge for Aman and 1.25 bridge for Raty.

That Bains will continue his development and will be holding down 4LW at 1.5 million Bridge

Klimovich will turn into a solid RW prospect and be holding down 4RW at 833k, but could interchange him with another player.

Assuming that Boeser resigns at 8 million per although I think we could come in a little under this, 7.75 million home town discount since Canucks stuck by him

Pettersson signs 8 years x 12 million, again, I'm hoping for a little under that in home town discount, maybe 11.5 million.

Hronek signs a long-term at the same rate as Hughes, 7.85 million although, this could easily top 8 million and in this lineup, we have room to do that.

It assumes that Silovs will be on a 1.5 million 1 or 2 year bridge while we make a decision on whether he's ready to take over for Demko

It assumes that we'll have another Elias Pettersson on the team and that Kudryavtsev and Brzustewicz will all be on the team on their entry level deals., but again, we have room in this lineup projection if we needed to adjust.

Here's the snip from CapFriendly:

image.thumb.png.2cee44c348c1dc94f5994e265edd6f35.png

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

I like Kuz, very much so. But I need to see more before committing long term at 7.5

Yeah, at this point if we have to pick one guy to extend in a couple seasons, and let Lekkerimaki (hopefully) replace the other on an ELC, my money is on Boeser.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, at this point if we have to pick one guy to extend in a couple seasons, and let Lekkerimaki (hopefully) replace the other on an ELC, my money is on Boeser.

Agreed, he has tenure on his side and he's also more likely to play ball with the Canucks imo

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Calgary doesn't move anyone now that they are winning a couple games.

Flames fans, or should I say Cassie, has a lot of hope for Uber-DOH!

Flames and Oilers will battle it out for that last wildcard spot 😂

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Mando27 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Calgary doesn't move anyone now that they are winning a couple games.

I still think they move their UFA's if they can't extend them, but if they can maintain what's been a pretty solid level of play going forward I think they'll be looking for more lateral moves as opposed to pure futures. Calgary doesn't have the prospect depth or the organizational depth to lose a Hanifin or Lindholm for nothing.

So more along the lines of.. want Hanifin? Give us a top quality young D prospect or NHL'er+. Want Lindholm? We want a young NHL center or a top notch center prospect+. I think the returns for Tanev and Zadorov may be more lateral but the pieces coming back wouldn't be as top notch. Want Tanev or Zadorov? We want as a good a package as we can get, picks and prospects can be integrated into the lineup or used as trade currency, a young NHL'er with term+ might work too.

I think it's more likely we see Calgary look to reload as opposed to looking for futures in terms of picks. Them wanting a top prospect for Zadorov works along these lines. If they could get Knies or Minten+ out of Toronto for example that'd be something that might work. 

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I still think they move their UFA's if they can't extend them, but if they can maintain what's been a pretty solid level of play going forward I think they'll be looking for more lateral moves as opposed to pure futures. Calgary doesn't have the prospect depth or the organizational depth to lose a Hanifin or Lindholm for nothing.

So more along the lines of.. want Hanifin? Give us a top quality young D prospect or NHL'er+. Want Lindholm? We want a young NHL center or a top notch center prospect+. I think the returns for Tanev and Zadorov may be more lateral but the pieces coming back wouldn't be as top notch. Want Tanev or Zadorov? We want as a good a package as we can get, picks and prospects can be integrated into the lineup or used as trade currency, a young NHL'er with term+ might work too.

I think it's more likely we see Calgary look to reload as opposed to looking for futures in terms of picks. Them wanting a top prospect for Zadorov works along these lines. If they could get Knies or Minten+ out of Toronto for example that'd be something that might work. 

They will prob wait til TDL when urgency kicks in and prices go up 

for now if they get in a playoff spot they may do nothing unless they fall off a cliff 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

for now if they get in a playoff spot they may do nothing unless they fall off a cliff 

Yup there is no incentive for Calgary to move anyone right now. They are going to fleece some desperate team at the TDL, hoping it is not the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Agreed, they're two points out of a playoff spot and have a couple games on Seattle. Unlike Edmonton they're very much in the mix, the west is still pretty wide open. Only teams that are starting to run away with point leads are Vegas, LA, Dallas, and ourselves, but it's a long season. 

If they can maintain a competitive pace it may contribute to them being able to retain a UFA or two. Zadorov wants out but I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to retain Lindholm. 

If they fall off they can re-evaluate later. 

• Cheers 1