[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

7 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Haven't seen enough of Zadorov but what I did see isn't really a match made in heaven.  Thinking he'd be a Myers 2.0 if he is traded for and extended.  Getting Hronek was brilliant.  If we're not targeting another guy like that (which we wouldn't be able to afford), we'll probably target cheaper depth.

Zadorov isn't a flashy guy at all. He won't put up much offense, and he is a bit slow, but his size and physicality is something we desperately need. He also moves the puck well through the neutral zone. 

Think Ian Cole with more physicality. Guys like Zadorov aren't highly skilled but because of his size he is a very coveted kind of player.

Just now, JayDangles said:

Zadorov isn't a flashy guy at all. He won't put up much offense, and he is a bit slow, but his size and physicality is something we desperately need. He also moves the puck well through the neutral zone. 

Think Ian Cole with more physicality. Guys like Zadorov aren't highly skilled but because of his size he is a very coveted kind of player.

He's huge, but does this translate into much in the way of intangibles?  His +/- isn't bad.  He hits more than Myers and would be 4th in hits on our team.  He doesn't fight much.  He doesn't have much offence.  So I can see him being a solid player, but if he's wanting a big payday beyond this year, he's just not a great pick-up for the greater build of this team.  Again, I don't know much about him, just sharing what I do see.  Perhaps I'm missing other points (e.g. someone who clears the front of the net really well).

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Haven't seen enough of Zadorov but what I did see isn't really a match made in heaven.  Thinking he'd be a Myers 2.0 if he is traded for and extended.  Getting Hronek was brilliant.  If we're not targeting another guy like that (which we wouldn't be able to afford), we'll probably target cheaper depth.

I agree with your point, though Zadorov is a much meaner, more intimidating presence than Myers. I don’t personally love his game, but he brings something we simply don’t have right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

He's huge, but does this translate into much in the way of intangibles?  His +/- isn't bad.  He hits more than Myers and would be 4th in hits on our team.  He doesn't fight much.  He doesn't have much offence.  So I can see him being a solid player, but if he's wanting a big payday beyond this year, he's just not a great pick-up for the greater build of this team.  Again, I don't know much about him, just sharing what I do see.  Perhaps I'm missing other points (e.g. someone who clears the front of the net really well).

You've got it pretty accurate. Only thing that doesn't show up on the stats sheet is his hits are hard. He is a big guy and plays heavy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Nope.

We need to add to the D not move one in and one out.

How do we fit Zad in? 

i mean RT has showed zero desire to play Cole on the right side. 

with 

Hughes

Cole

Soucy

i just don’t see it. 

RHD is so pressing. And I can’t think now that Bear is the answer.

unless their goal is to use this cap to upgrade a top 6 winger and then sign bear but I don’t know. Eating popcorn here and I trust what they’ve been doing

Edited by R3aL

5 hours ago, AK-19 said:

Ian Cole + minor pick for Zadorov? With Flames doing better they may prefer making a hockey trade and perhaps for a player more willing to re-sign with them compared to Zadorov.

That makes little sense.  Cole is straight up better than Zadorov (and this is coming from someone who has advocated getting Zadorov) You want Cole to anchor a 2nd pairing and give him a partner better than some random assortment of depth guys.

We haven’t had a better minute munching steady D since Edler left.  He needs to be extended for a year or two, not traded.  Perfect bridge until some kid is ready to take on meaningful minutes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, AK-19 said:

Ian Cole + minor pick for Zadorov? With Flames doing better they may prefer making a hockey trade and perhaps for a player more willing to re-sign with them compared to Zadorov.

We need to add to our D core, not detract.    Could see him as rental.   Not sure what you'd get for that in return, but guessing a 2nd and a prospect as a starting point.   Next years in our case.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

That makes little sense.  Cole is straight up better than Zadorov (and this is coming from someone who has advocated getting Zadorov) You want Cole to anchor a 2nd pairing and give him a partner better than some random assortment of depth guys.

We haven’t had a better minute munching steady D since Edler left.  He needs to be extended for a year or two, not traded.  Perfect bridge until some kid is ready to take on meaningful minutes.

Yep.   I'd extend him for two years.   He can move down the depth chart as we improve the D-core.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

How do we fit Zad in? 

i mean RT has showed zero desire to play Cole on the right side. 

with 

Hughes

Cole

Soucy

i just don’t see it. 

RHD is so pressing. And I can’t think now that Bear is the answer.

unless their goal is to use this cap to upgrade a top 6 winger and then sign bear but I don’t know. Eating popcorn here and I trust what they’ve been doing

Soucy and Cole play both sides.   Yes we need a RHD.    Bear and Zadarov would work.   We'd have to ask CAL to retain.   And give up some futures.    Which we likely will be doing for the next two years.  

Edited by IBatch