[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

With Milstein being Zadorov's agent I don't think signing an extension will be a big problem. 

Plus he's got Russian friends on the Canucks. I think he'll be happy to come to Vancouver. 

Free agency seems most likely to me for him to come here. I can't see Beau being the best player cgy gets offered, and a 1st is too high to pay. But good to hear he's done in Cowtown.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Horonek was NYI 1st and our 2nd

The NYI were trending down and it could have been a 12 to 15 overall pick. That's why Steve Y made the call to PA. He offered Horonek for those 2 picks and it was a take it or leave it. PA took the deal and won. 

Our 1st is trending to be late pick. Bottom 10. So it's not worth nearly as much.  

It's not easy getting another Hronek. Very difficult as a matter of fact. 

Zodorav is a heck of a player. His agent is Milstein so almost a part of Canucks management team.  He'll re sign with us.. 

I'd put together a pretty good package for the Russian beast.

He'll solidify our D for the year and likely sign extension. Then we just need a top 6 forward and this team is pretty much complete.  

I appreciate that Zadorov is a decent player.  I would be glad to have him.  

He would improve the defence but I don’t see him as anchoring a 2nd paring and spending high to obtain him.

I would say he would be an excellent companion to a play driving 2nd paring defender though.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's not that good though, he's not another Hronek.

I like Zadorov, but he's along the lines of a Cole/Soucy level player. He's making 3.75 & will want a significant raise. 

If we are trading our 1st we need a bonafide top 4 D, I don't think he's that. 

Exactly what I'm saying. He's not Hronek and it's not easy getting another Hronek. We can't expect to get another Hronek. That's not realistic. 

But he's exactly the type of player we need. A big tough physical top4. 

6'6 235lbs 

Pair him with Myers or Hronek and he'd be awesome. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Not just that…like I posted a few weeks ago, I thought back then that TO will not only outbid anyone for his services if he became available this season, but also will overpay to extend him meaning he we miss out any potential UFA deal with him…or he’s able to prove himself out of UFA range as well due to demand/offer from TO. I think we should try trading for him because it will only help us further improve playoff hopes. Only caveat is we have such a good relationship with Milstein (excellent job by mgmt to nurture that) that we can get at very least a verbal commitment is that the mutual interest between Zadorov and us is pretty much a done deal just waiting for free agency. 

fucking excited regardless. 

He can extend with us anytime if we trade for him. Last year of contract he can sign extension any time..

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Exactly what I'm saying. He's not Hronek and it's not easy getting another Hronek. We can't expect to get another Hronek. That's not realistic. 

But he's exactly the type of player we need. A big tough physical top4. 

6'6 235lbs 

Pair him with Myers or Hronek and he'd be awesome. 

But i disagree that he's a surefire top 4 guy. He's a 4/5 guy like Soucy.

I agree the toughness & physicality would be a great add, I really do like his game, but at this point he's more of a luxury & if we are dealing premium assets we need to get a D we know for sure can be a top 3D.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree the toughness & physicality would be a great add, I really do like his game, but at this point he's more of a luxury & if we are dealing premium assets we need to get a D we know for sure can be a top 3D.

If we could do it for Beau and thet Brewchecitz kid that would be ok for me.

Edited by Bob Long

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Come on now he’s not that good. 😂

We add him, another depth two way 3rd line F and potentially another depth Dman by or at deadline and we are an incredibly well balanced club. 

if we could manage to:

1) obtain Zadorov

2) (although I’d prefer another Dman) sign Bear as cheap FA - gradually ease him into lineup as part of a cycle for any load management process

3) acquire another Lafferty type F

4) sign Kessel to a cheap 1 year UFA deal (he’d be great for playoffs and to beef up PP2),

we could be a serious playoff threat.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

If we could do it for Beau and they Brewchecitz kid that would be ok for me.

Canucks should wait & save their assets for when someone legit comes along, not trying to pigeon-hole a maybe into a top role like this would be.

If the Canucks keep this up, I'd be on board with trading premium assets like our 1st / Brzustewicz / Hoglander even, but we need to get a bonafide top 3/4D that we can have under club control for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He can extend with us anytime if we trade for him. Last year of contract he can sign extension any time..

For sure, that’s why I think it’s a good idea to make the move. Otherwise any other club will have serious time and opportunity to convince him to stick with them while overpaying for his services to keep him. 

Obviously his immediately trade value will be impacted by what clubs understand he wants for his new contract, and as such, it will affect what is offered as trade to CGY.

If he’s willing to extend with us I’d offer Beau, 2025 2nd, and Klimovich. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm talking about the trade request he just made in Calgary. 

He wants out. Both Leafs and Canucks will make offers. But I'm afraid Brad Treliving is going to out bid us and drive his price up too high for us..

Then he can have him. The guy's a UFA at the end of the season. No point overpaying. We're not desperate. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

We’d be better off waiting til the deadline and seeing what the price tag is on Tanev. Our focus should be unloading AB and seeing what we can do with the allocated Myers money next summer (Pettersson, Hronek). 

there’s also no guarantee that Zadorov agrees to sign an extension. Especially, with no trade protection. If Vancouver is interested in signing him in the summer, Millstein would drop that hint.

I don’t want to cap out and trade futures away at the start of our window just because the city is excited to be winning again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

A top 3 RHD is going to cost us the same assets as the Hronek deal. I don’t see management doing that again. Especially after we just drafted Willander who hopefully becomes that player. 

Zadorov has averaged 18:10 in ice time in his career. Soucy is at 16:20. So there’s a difference of almost 2 minutes a night. So I don’t see them as identical players. 

For the right price I would be all over him. He’s a prototypical Tocchet hockey player. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I think he’ll go to Toronto. It seems like an obvious one for them to trade for Nylander, unless Nylander puts up a fight with his 10 team no trade list. Leafs need to try deal him before losing him in free agency.

heh, the only one of "their big three" that has a tendancy to show up in the post-season.  From that perspective, I hope the Laffs make that trade.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Canucks should wait & save their assets for when someone legit comes along, not trying to pigeon-hole a maybe into a top role like this would be.

If the Canucks keep this up, I'd be on board with trading premium assets like our 1st / Brzustewicz / Hoglander even, but we need to get a bonafide top 3/4D that we can have under club control for the foreseeable future. 

I agree in a vacuum, but sometimes you take the shot to make your team better. I don't want to lose a potentially elite player like JL or Willander for this though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If we could do it for Beau and thet Brewchecitz kid that would be ok for me.

Ouch.
I’d do Beau and a prospect (Jett Woo?) but no way on Brzustewicz. I know we’d have to add if we had an extension in place with Z. Finally a RD prospect in the system who is lighting it up so hard no for me on this one.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov can play the right side.  Put him with Cole and take out Friedman.  That's a huge upgrade, especially for the playoffs.  

Not saying he’s not an upgrade but if we’re moving assets and in a position to make a run I’d rather go bigger.

Find another Hronek level deal that sets us up long term.

From what I remember of Zadorov in the playoffs he kind of struggled against fast players and crossed the line quite a bit.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Their second rounder and our first rounder could only be a difference of 4-5 spots. 

Exactly. So make that part of the package to sweeten the pot.

Brau + prospect plus flip those two picks. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1