[Weekes/Dhaliwal] Zadorov Requests Trade, Canucks/Leafs Among Interested Teams

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not saying he’s not an upgrade but if we’re moving assets and in a position to make a run I’d rather go bigger.

Find another Hronek level deal that sets us up long term.

From what I remember of Zadorov in the playoffs he kind of struggled against fast players and crossed the line quite a bit.

You are asking alot from Allvin to hit home runs twice in 2 years. There just aren’t those types of players available. Even Hronek was never available. Allvin had to seek him out. He wasn’t on the trade block. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A top 3 RHD is going to cost us the same assets as the Hronek deal. I don’t see management doing that again. Especially after we just drafted Willander who hopefully becomes that player. 

Zadorov has averaged 18:10 in ice time in his career. Soucy is at 16:20. So there’s a difference of almost 2 minutes a night. So I don’t see them as identical players. 

For the right price I would be all over him. He’s a prototypical Tocchet hockey player. 

Calgary is going to want a premium, so what are we going to pay? Our 1st+? And then we are going to have to pay him - 4.5-5M? For at best a #4D?

Not saying Zads & Soucy are identical players, they play differently, but both are average/okay #4D or great #5D on a good team.

Just look at average TOI amongst Calgary's D in each of the last 3 years - he's #5. And he's been good in that role, but we shouldn't pay a premium & sign him to a huge contract expecting him to be more than that. It could end up another Myers situation. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I agree in a vacuum, but sometimes you take the shot to make your team better. I don't want to lose a potentially elite player like JL or Willander for this though.

I would consider Lekkerimaki if its someone who's younger-ish & an established #2/3, but Willander is off limits for sure.

If we are bringing in a pending UFA (which Zadorov is) I think Tanev makes alot more sense. He'd probably re-sign for cheaper or the same as Zadorov & he could be a good stopgap till Willander is in his prime. 

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Calgary is going to want a premium, so what are we going to pay? Our 1st+? And then we are going to have to pay him - 4.5-5M? For at best a #4D?

Not saying Zads & Soucy are identical players, they play differently, but both are average/okay #4D or great #5D on a good team.

Just look at average TOI amongst Calgary's D in each of the last 3 years - he's #5. And he's been good in that role, but we shouldn't pay a premium & sign him to a huge contract expecting him to be more than that. It could end up another Myers situation. 

Soucy has never been a #4 Dman in his career. He was on the 3rd pairing on Seattle. Zadorov is a pretty legit #4. Those guys get paid $4-5 million. That’s the market. 

I wouldn’t trade our 1st unless we got Calgary’s 2nd back in the deal. The difference would only be a few spots and I like our new scouting team to be able to get a gem in the 2nd round. 

To Vancouver:

Nikita Zadorov 

2024 2nd round pick 

To Calgary:

Anthony Beauvillier ($400k retained) 

Akito Hirose

2024 1st round pick

So basically we dump Beauvillier, give them Hirose to replace Zadorov and then switch picks. I think that’s a fair deal. I wouldn’t do much more than that. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Barn Burner said:

Another thing about trading for and signing him is, where's that money coming from next year? 

OEL is on the books for about $5 mil? Petey's raise. Hronek. 

Beau and Myers is 10mill+.

Garland (somehow) frees up another 5.

OEL buyout penalty next year is only 2 mill. Unless I’m stoned (which I am) we should have enough cap space to cover all internal raises/increases with a fair bit of $ left over for UFA hunting. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Could honestly see Podkolzin going the other way. He’s not gonna come cheap.

That better be for a pipe dream. Not giving up Podkolzin for a potential rental. Our GM better not be that friggin' stupid. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL dead cap is at $2.3 million for next year. 

Still, then it goes up to $4.5 or something for two years? 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You are asking alot from Allvin to hit home runs twice in 2 years. There just aren’t those types of players available. Even Hronek was never available. Allvin had to seek him out. He wasn’t on the trade block. 

Exactly. I cant believe how many people on here are expecting another Hronek type player for similar price..

In that deal PA called Steve Y earlier in the year asking if Hronek would be available.  This was before the Horvat trade. Steve Y called PA close to trade deadline asked PA if he was still interested and named his price. Yzerman wanted NYI 1st and Canucks 2nd. Take it or leave it ask from Steve Y.

It worked out great because that NYI 1st was trending to be a mid round pick. 

Can't expect that to happen again. Hronek type players don't become available via trade often.  

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm talking about the trade request he just made in Calgary. 

He wants out. Both Leafs and Canucks will make offers. But I'm afraid Brad Treliving is going to out bid us and drive his price up too high for us..

I really don't think they have the assets or the willingness to over pay for a rental.  If he doesn't resign which will absolutely be a factor in the dealings then  Toronto looks baaaaad.   They won't give up assets if zadorov tells them he won't re up.  

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

That better be for a pipe dream. Not giving up Podkolzin for a potential rental. Our GM better not be that friggin' stupid. 

Still, then it goes up to $4.5 or something for two years? 

Our GM clearly isn't that stupid, look at our off season surgery and the success we are having.

Right now I trust any move they make 

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Beau and Myers is 10mill+.

Garland (somehow) frees up another 5.

OEL buyout penalty next year is only 2 mill. Unless I’m stoned (which I am) we should have enough cap space to cover all internal raises/increases with a fair bit of $ left over for UFA hunting. 

That's assuming Garland can be, or is traded. Which I personally don't mind keeping him around. He's been a dog on a bone. Plus he's shifty little pucker. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Give them our 1st for their 2nd as part of package. 

We don't have a 2nd this year so we need atleast 1 pick in first two rounds..

They would if you give them  some prospects.Of course it will cost us Podz +Hirose +salary

Edited by Lemon Face
Grammar mistace
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

Our GM clearly isn't that stupid, look at our off season surgery and the success we are having.

Right now I trust any move they make 

That's what I'm saying. And I really don't think they would give up on Podz. He's going to be a power forward in the league. 

1 minute ago, ronning4center said:

I really don't think they have the assets or the willingness to over pay for a rental.  If he doesn't resign which will absolutely be a factor in the dealings then  Toronto looks baaaaad.   They won't give up assets if zadorov tells them he won't re up.  

They have to trade Nylander at some point or lose him for nothing. They can’t afford to resign him for next year, but they could afford to sign Zadorov, when Nylander gets off their books. Only thing that could stop it is Nylander keeps Flames on his no trade list.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Soucy has never been a #4 Dman in his career. He was on the 3rd pairing on Seattle. Zadorov is a pretty legit #4. Those guys get paid $4-5 million. That’s the market. 

I wouldn’t trade our 1st unless we got Calgary’s 2nd back in the deal. The difference would only be a few spots and I like our new scouting team to be able to get a gem in the 2nd round. 

To Vancouver:

Nikita Zadorov 

2024 2nd round pick 

To Calgary:

Anthony Beauvillier ($400k retained) 

Akito Hirose 2024 1st round pick

So basically we dump Beauvillier, give them Hirose to replace Zadorov and then switch picks. I think that’s a fair deal. I wouldn’t do much more than that. 

Fine, Ian Cole then. Does another Ian Cole level player put us in the same echelon as Zadorov? I love what Cole has brought but I'm not convinced. Zads might not even be as reliable as Cole (though better offensively).

If we're going down this road I'd rather Hirose+2nd+Beau for Tanev. Sign Tanev to a 2 year extension at 3ish mill. 

12 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

You keep mentioning him as a rental but I dont think we’d pursue him as one nor do I think he’d refuse any extension with us. 

You’re also assuming we have some edge on him over other clubs in free agency which we might not. He may agree to an extension with whomever he’s traded to.  

I think in this case a solid way to analyze the situation is: what does he bring to us this season, now, that enhances our potential versus it being worth the wait to TRY and sign him in the offseason with no guarantee whether or not this club will hit or miss on opportunity, unlike what it’s showing already this season. 
This kind of start and momentum you have to take advantage of and fuel it further. 

Zadorov is one of those players that can play anywhere on any pairing on D and perform. He’s got size grit and snarl as well as a fairly decent two way game. He’s what we need compositionally. 

Edited by RWJC