[Report] Woodcroft and Manson have been Fired, Ken Holland may be next

Shekky

2 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

Oilers gotta figure out a way to get Nurse and Campbell off the books with as little retention as possible, trade for a legit goalie, and find some secondary scoring and defense.  Likely will take 3-4 firsts and multiple mid round picks and some other players / prospects but it is likely what needs to be done if they want to salvage the situatuon in a hurry with their big 2.

One Edmonton fan, for what it's worth, thinks their team is a complete mess and that blaming the goalie is simply not an adequate explanation. Everyone tends to blame the goaltending and Nurse who has that ridiculous contract. But their defensive play as a team is just not cooperative.

I think I agree. I watched bits and pieces of the Edmonton/SJ game. Their defense looks porous.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

That Oilers ship has too many holes that McDavid and Draisaitl can’t cover them all.

They are two of the biggest holes on the ship! Piss poor entitled attitude on the ice, making childish sarcastic comments to the media off the ice. 

Yes they are talented, but most nights this year they aren't the best players on the ice.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

One Edmonton fan, for what it's worth, thinks their team is a complete mess and that blaming the goalie is simply not an adequate explanation. Everyone tends to blame the goaltending and Nurse who has that ridiculous contract. But their defensive play as a team is just not cooperative.

I think I agree. I watched bits and pieces of the Edmonton/SJ game. Their defense looks porous.

I agree there is so many holes in the team Holland doesn't seem to be making any effort to fix the team either.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I believe this is EXACTLY why they haven't just fired Woodcroft yet. This management team has had more than enough time to create a positive atmosphere in Edmonton and that just changing coaching is NOT going to do it.

I would keep Woodcroft there for another couple of weeks, fire Holland and bring in an interim GM (HEY, BENNING IS AVAILABLE....) and let the new GM pick a new coach. Personally, I would probably grab Gallant.

Not that I'm in a hurry to do anything to help improve the Oilers, but if I was team ownership, I'd be telling him that he's not allowed to fire the coach, I'd be looking to rip the management team apart and start over like Canucks did a couple of years ago.

The fact that Edmonton had 4, 1st OA's in 6 years and still can't accomplish anything, they badly need to change the team character as, they currently don't have any and bringing in Kane, personally I think its part of the overall problem there. He has been an issue everywhere he's gone.

Gallant has a weirdly short shelf-life everywhere he goes but also seems to get a lot of of his teams. He might be one of the few coaches who would actually bench McDavid in a game like the one against us where he clearly lost his cool.

• Shekky changed the title to [Speculation] Ken Holland and Dave Manson are being Fired, Woodcroft has been Fired
21 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

it’s odd to me that they wouldn’t or can’t seem to add to their defense. Like it’s as if they think they can out score their opponents all the time. Defense wins championships. If a team can’t play good defense. They’re going to suck. Just look at the Canucks the last number of years with Benning as boss. He couldn’t put together a decent enough backend that could help the team win. 

7 minutes ago, Shekky said:

guess this is not a surprise at all. The players must feel terrible for letting their coach down. Boy. For a team that has the two best players in the world. They really do suck. 

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Gallant has a weirdly short shelf-life everywhere he goes but also seems to get a lot of of his teams. He might be one of the few coaches who would actually bench McDavid in a game like the one against us where he clearly lost his cool.

I can see Gallant as being a possible replacement. I remember wanting him when the Canucks was looking for a head coach. Why does he not seem to stick around NHL clubs long enough? 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

it’s odd to me that they wouldn’t or can’t seem to add to their defense. Like it’s as if they think they can out score their opponents all the time. Defense wins championships. If a team can’t play good defense. They’re going to suck. Just look at the Canucks the last number of years with Benning as boss. He couldn’t put together a decent enough backend that could help the team win. 

Yeah, but defense doesn't win Art Ross or Rocket Richard trophies, and those seem to be more important for the Oilers.

• Upvote 1

Feel for Woodcroft and Manson...no Oiler loyalty from me but geez...guys like D Nurse who I have actually watched play and cannot understand how the guy got the contract he has etc...they were sacrificed to appease ...if this is what it takes to make the Oiler team wake up then they have assembled a sad group of players and more importantly, people...these guys are paid huge bucks to go out and work..whether they perfrom is another matter but work.    

Wow seems like Katz is surrounding McDavid with whatever the hell he wants - CEO has connections to MCDavid. Connor Brown was brought in - McDavid played with him in Junior and now the new coach is his old Junior coach. Me thinks we have a diva in Edmonton - unless the new coach can play top 4 defense minutes it solves nothing. Wanna bet his strategy is double shift McDavid and Leon. Let the tire fire continue hahaha

• Cheers 2