[Report] Woodcroft and Manson have been Fired, Ken Holland may be next

Shekky

On 11/11/2023 at 4:56 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

My gut feeling is that the Oilers will go on a major hot streak at some point this season and make things interesting.  

They have too much talent.  Could be similar to the Canucks of 21/22 but with a happier ending.  

I think Calgary is done like dinner though.  Can't see them making the playoffs this year and they'll certainly have their mouths full of urethras so to speak.  

I could Seattle picking things up and I can also see Anaheim plummeting at some point.  

I see the Canucks, Kings, and Oilers fighting for 2nd, 3rd, and WC.   (I think the Nucks will eventually get an injury to 1-2 core players and will plateau a little bit as a result.......before picking it up again).  

No disrespect bro, I hate it when people say this.. I like you but what fuckin' talent besides 2 players!?!..It's like news, Don't believe the hype..They have no D or goal-tending..I'll take my team 100 times over!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

Wow seems like Katz is surrounding McDavid with whatever the hell he wants - CEO has connections to MCDavid. Connor Brown was brought in - McDavid played with him in Junior and now the new coach is his old Junior coach. Me thinks we have a diva in Edmonton - unless the new coach can play top 4 defense minutes it solves nothing. Wanna bet his strategy is double shift McDavid and Leon. Let the tire fire continue hahaha

I mean they need to bring in a coach to help McDavid in his development, he has really struggled since coming into the league. 😂

• Haha 1

Holland has had his chance to make something in Edmonton. He hasn’t. Time for him to go too. 

18 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Paul Coffey is a good addition. Can move the puck and take pressure off the forwards to do all the leg work. Oh, wait. It's not 1980? My bad.

I think they were attracted by Coffey’s prestigious coaching resume. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Holland has had his chance to make something in Edmonton. He hasn’t. Time for him to go too. 

I think they were attracted by Coffey’s prestigious coaching resume. 

Dropping racial slurs during Midget triple A games, he'll help build a great culture in Edmonton.

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2023 at 5:50 AM, CanucksJay said:

Can't make all those improvements. Mcdrai is not good enough to fill/cover all those holes

Yes, and the great mystery to me is how come the only ones who can see this are outside of Edmonton. McDavid is a great individual player but does not play well with others and is not a good puck distributor. Draisaitl is an exceptional finisher and only slightly better at utilizing his linemates. It seems the Edmonton plan is to simply rely on the Glitter Twins to win every game for them. It also doesn't help when their $9.5M defenceman would be a third pair guy on almost every other team. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Paul Coffey is a good addition. Can move the puck and take pressure off the forwards to do all the leg work. Oh, wait. It's not 1980? My bad.

At least Coffey has coaching experience. One year with the PIckering Panthers of the OJHL in 2014-2015 season where he started off as assistant coach, then took over after the coach was fired. Didn't matter, the Panthers missed the playoffs and Coffey's coaching career was over. I'm not sure he'll be a key addition to the Edmonton coaching staff.

Reading some of the Edmonton twitter noise and it seems like a lot of fans are not happy with Coffey as an assistant coach. Coffey said in his presser this morning that he likes the Edmonton defence. Seriously, he thinks the defence is fine. He is apparently the only person in Western Canada who believes this.

Edit: Added sound clip

Edited by Curmudgeon

Something had to give in Edmonton I think Woodcroft lost the room after a stellar season last year the team regressed so hard this season. Holland didn't solve the one big problem in goal though defense is pretty bad too. Holland should be fired as well.

Edited by Shekky

• Shekky changed the title to [Report] Woodcroft and Manson have been Fired, Ken Holland may be next
57 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Reading some of the Edmonton twitter noise and it seems like a lot of fans are not happy with Coffey as an assistant coach. Coffey said in his presser this morning that he likes the Edmonton defence. Seriously, he thinks the defence is fine. He is apparently the only person in Western Canada who believes this.

Edit: Added sound clip

What’s he supposed to say really?

Until Holland actually improves it he has to run with what he’s got.

• Cheers 2

The Oilers are basically done; they’ve shifted from making decisions to win to making decisions so McD doesn’t walk in a few years. Sign his junior buddy…hire his “old” agent as CEO..and now his old junior coach that’s seems not qualified (way better options). In the end, it’s all in vain; Draisatl will get traded in next year to free up cap, team will get worse. Then, McD will leave in a few years; very sad.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

What’s he supposed to say really?

Until Holland actually improves it he has to run with what he’s got.

Holland in the last year of his contract. I don’t think he’s in negotiations or has adequate support to return at this point.  My best guess is that Katz won’t let hit make any major moves that might debilitate the franchise further and that he’s somewhat a

lame duck GM now. I could be quite wrong but kinda feel that Holland has a short leash this season given how this team has failed to live up to expectation to this point. Who knows, maybe Katz agrees to one last ditch shakeup aside from coaching but if he gives Holland the ok and it F’s up, it could be devastating towards extending the tandem.