Frank Seravalli on the Canucks (He's right!)

Canuck You

13 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I just want to note that this is high irony, because this is basically the argument for why people shouldn't blame Gillis leaving the empty farm system and scouting department unchanged after the cup run. 

And of course I agree, Benning bringing the twins in was a plus for the org.

Personally I have always said that I do not blame Gillis whatsoever for doing everything it took to try and win a cup. But ultimately the aftermath was the cost of it. I will never blame him for going all in, but this was the price we had to pay and its unfair to put the screws to JB for any pick that didnt pan out. Gillis had almost zero picks pan out and that was indeed something he could have addressed. Any pick that JB missed was just another year behind development and if you look back at how far behind a 2016 pick is, compared to guys who were successfully drafted and developed between 2005-2012, thats a seasoned vet, some guys are in the midst of their prime, just about to hit their prime or peaked and plateaued and slowly heading into decline. Any single miss is a huge hit to the organization and its unfair to be so critical of a guy who literally needs to bat .1000 at the table and his draft picks need to be 2-3years already developed to start making up for the failures from 2006-2013. I wont include the Bourdon draft because that was an unforeseen tragedy, much like Olli Juolevi’s injury history to follow his draft day that derailed him and then to get wiped out by COVID, whos to say he wasnt a long COVID victim? His conditioning never caught up. 

6 hours ago, DSVII said:

The statute of limitations on Benning is going to last at least just as long, if not longer since the dead cap to clean his mess is on the books till 2031

Now is it fair to blame Benning for PAs choice to buy out OEL? There were other solutions, this was an impatient move. JR and PA put themselves in this position when they doubled down on 2021-22’s 38game hot streak that showed what this team is really made of. They didn’t capitalize on whatever value Boeser had, Garand who had a good season, Myers who also had a good season, they spent nearly 10mil on Kuzy and Mik. They could have rode out one more season with Myers and OEL who funny enough are having good starts to the season so far and could have parted ways with Myers at the TDL and run out OELs contract or eventually shipped him out later.