[PGT] Canucks at Leafs - Fate worse than death edition

Roger Neilsons Towel

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Interesting comment from Tocchet tonight;

"I find with this team, if we don't get some practices we get sloppy" 

Imo that speaks volumes, it's still an immature team learning how to win.

They've piled up points so far, but Tocchet is a guy thats seen it all in this game & he sees the bigger picture regarding this team. 

We've had this talent for a bit now but it's really Tocchet & his experience (along with Ruthervin) that makes me confident.

Tochett has been giving the team well deserved days off so far this season maybe it is time toget back to practice,back to work

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

This season is a marathon.......not a sprint.  

We weren't going to go 79-2-1 this season, nor were we going to play out of our minds each and every game.

We will have our ups and downs this season.

It's not about how hard you get hit but how fast you get back up.   

Come out hard against the Canadiens tomorrow and make a statement.  

This

1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

We lost

We sure did. And we dominated the leafs in shots, special teams, faceoff % 

Its almost as if, at the end of the 60 minutes those stats no longer matter and only the score does. But that’s not what we’ve been hearing about the Canucks for the past few weeks.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, drdeath said:

We sure did. And we dominated the leafs in shots, special teams, faceoff % 

Its almost as if, at the end of the 60 minutes those stats no longer matter and only the score does. But that’s not what we’ve been hearing about the Canucks for the past few weeks.  

Didn't watch the 2nd and 3rd so not sure what were the main reasons we fell to the leafs. It sounds like bounces finally didn't go out way tonight.

I absolutely hate that it was the leafs, but folks we lost one game. Yes we started to see some of passive plays in the last few games, but I don't think we have played terribly. 

I'm confident Tocchet and the leadership group can right the ship and get the team back on track. 

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

It had to happen sooner or later. The Canucks have had the bounces go their way so far this season and Demmer has bailed them out when breakdowns have occurred. Tonight the Canucks did not get the breaks. Here are what I see as interesting points.

1. The Canucks outshot Toronto 33-22 and won the "expected goals" battle (using Natural Stat Trick's expected goals model) by a small margin. Despite the final score, it was a fairly even game, but Vancouver probably was the slightly better team. For maybe the first time this season, the final score was unfavorable to the Canucks relative to the underlying quality of the play.

2. That said, several of guys who have been great so far this season had subpar performances. Most importantly, Demko did not have a great game. On the first goal, Demmer seemed to lose track of the puck and was not well positioned to defend the goal-mouth scramble. The second goal was knocked in by Myers who had a particularly chaotic shift, but Demko seemed to move too far to his left. The third goal was a low percentage shot that Demko almost always stops but it looked like his positioning was not quite right. Similarly, the 4th and 5th goals looked like shots Demmer usually stops. Maybe it was just back luck, but it looked like his positioning was not sharp tonight.

3. Also, the Hughes/Hronek pair had their worst game of the season. Their biggest problem was simply that they played too much of the game in their own zone. Usually they defend by keeping the puck at the other end of the ice. Once again, Hughes just did not look that sharp.

4. Interesting information about Petey. I thought he was over his early season problem (likely caused by a Myers shot). But he has not looked his best in the last two games.

5. I have been fairly positive about Myers lately, but he is back to his chaotic style of play. And he prevented what could have been a great start by taking a bone-headed penalty in the first period that led to a Toronto goal. The time of the goal came just after the PP ended but it was essentially a PP goal. Myers made a blatant cross-check for no good reason at center ice right in front of the referee shortly after the Canucks got a PP goal.

6. In the natural stat trick xGA and xGF numbers, Myers, Lafferty, and Hoglander looked bad. Personally, I did not notice Lafferty or Hoglander particularly, In the the HockeyStatCards summary Hronek, Myers and Hughes look bad, which is consistent with the eye test.

7. Bottom line: The Canuck skaters were not outplayed overall by the Leafs, although some of the top players (Hughes, Hronek, Pettersson) were sub-par and so was Myers. But Demmer was also subpar and that combo won't work. 

Like everyone else on CFF, am hoping for a stronger performance and better outcome tomorrow against Montreal

As a positive side note, Abby shut out Bakersfield 4-0 tonight.

As another side note, people worried about Canuck "regression" because their PDO was too high can take comfort in the fact that their PDO fell a lot tonight. It is still the best in the NHL but is now pretty close to the "reasonable" or "sustainable" range.

Agree with your second point. That first goal was not great, Demko pushed forward when he lost the puck instead of covering the posts then got all spun around.

The Myers "own goal" looked to me like he was cross checked into the net, I'd have to see the replay maybe I'm wrong.

In general, the team just couldn't seem to find their poise tonight. Losing battles and sloppy passes in all zones. TO seemed to cruise through the neutral zone with speed and gain the blue line at will. Would have liked to see us play more in the style we did against Dallas. I also thought TO's fourth line was very effective. Anyways, take the lessons we can from this one and move on to the next game. GCG

• Cheers 1

Wow did they all look bad tonight, mainly our stars. Petey, Hughes and Hronek a combined -8. Demko got destroyed out there, sometimes on some fairly harmless looking shots and got twisted around on the Nylander goal quite badly. Their stars just embarassed ours.

I guess there's a glaring weakness in that our depth isn't good enough to win us a game and we need our stars to be on point, especially our goalie. Was maybe Demko's first bad game of the year. I would have started him last game to not have him come into Toronto too "cold" but we move along.

Chance to have a bounce back tomorrow we simply have to win, can't be losing two in a row and getting bad habits because you can see the bad play here and there in the last few games.

• Cheers 1

As much as I hate to admit it, the Leafs played very well tonight. Whatever adjustments Sheldon Keefe made in 1st intermission worked, it was a completely different team 2nd and 3rd period

1 hour ago, DexM94 said:

2 scrambles goals against, we can’t dig the puck out in emergency situation in front of our goaltender.
Each time it’s ugly and 90% of the time it ends up in the back of our net.

frustrating. 

We were bound to lose eventually

7 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Yes take it on the chin. Don't over analyse... on to the next one...

Remember this was a team folks wondered if they'd make the play offs... 

Still a long way to go, but this team has played a lot of good hockey, a few average games and the odd stinker...

Onwards and upwards........

PS. Screw the commentry team and how many time Nylander polished his skates...

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes take it on the chin. Don't over analyse... on to the next one...

Remember this was a team folks wondered if they'd make the play offs... 

Still a long way to go, but this team has played a lot of good hockey, a few average games and the odd stinker...

Onwards and upwards........

PS. Screw the commentry team and how many time Nylander polished his skates...

Sad part is they can't afford him. Unless they want their defence even worse than it is now.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boo hoo, we lost a game.  Colorado also got destroyed tonight, Vegas got destroyed a couple of nights ago.  Boston lost today too.

Shit happens.  Doesn't mean we need to dissect every play and every player in what they did tonight.  At the end of the day, they had a bad game.  I can pretty much guarantee you they will have a much better game tomorrow.  

Yeah except those teams you mentioned have a history of success so they earned having a few bad games here and there, Vancouver still hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt so a loss like this should be scrutinized in some way 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Wow did they all look bad tonight, mainly our stars. Petey, Hughes and Hronek a combined -8. Demko got destroyed out there, sometimes on some fairly harmless looking shots and got twisted around on the Nylander goal quite badly. Their stars just embarassed ours.

I guess there's a glaring weakness in that our depth isn't good enough to win us a game and we need our stars to be on point, especially our goalie. Was maybe Demko's first bad game of the year. I would have started him last game to not have him come into Toronto too "cold" but we move along.

Chance to have a bounce back tomorrow we simply have to win, can't be losing two in a row and getting bad habits because you can see the bad play here and there in the last few games.

Yes glad we have a bounceback opportunity tonight. 

Also I don't think their stars outplayed ours. I thought we lost the game in the trenches and their muckers outmucked ours. 

Despite being upset about losing to the leafs, more data points is always good. It'll probably given Allvin and co something to chew on in regards to the make up of this team and what might help us improve it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

It's been a slow, gradual decline for 3-4 games.  I think we're starting to see the real team settle in.

Wouldn't say 3-4 games.   Two games they haven't been "on".    Was at the Ottawa game, it wasn't a great game by us but we did have some players that had good games - Hronek was one of them, and EP woke up in the 3rd.   Millers line wasn't bad either, just not on.   QHs was off.   A lot of blown tires, from both teams, especially in one area of the ice (left side near the hash marks attacking side).   OTT had few great scoring chances.   We did get lucky though, on a post-cross bar, and at one point (going into the third period) they were owning us in the dot so we were often trying to get possession back (which we did in the third).  35% at our lowest...by the end it was closer to even.     Looked like 9-3 (us) high danger shots/chances, a lot of their shots were easy muffins.  

Cause for concern?  Yes.   Is it the "real bubble team" ... maybe.   Thankfully one of the tougher parts of our schedule is done, and we've got almost all the points against Western teams.    Didn't think the EDM game was bad other than the first period.  

93-96 points seemed doable before the season started.   For sure a bubble team.   If everything worked out ... maybe a 2-3 spot.     Vegas was always the team in our division.   Taking all six points from EDM for sure is a nice cushion.    Dallas is a legit contender.    Picked them in the finals this year.    It's not like we've been playing chumps this year either, OTT is a very good young team, skilled, has size/truculence and is balanced (vets too).   Wouldn't call them an easy win either.  

Edit:  Would say there was no way we'd beat the 70's Habs teams  or be on par with them, or the mid 90's Detroit team ... or last years Boston team either.     And aside from EP, the shooting percentage for quite a few players was out of whack.   It's just one loss.    Thankfully we've blown some teams out and have quite the cushion.     Believe that Friedman's comments were 100% fair - that this team has played to its potential, and over it, to start the season.   We won't win them all, and not all of our wins will look great either.    Just like we will lose some games, that we outplay other teams.    No reason to hit the panic button.   .600 hockey is more then enough at this point to see what playoffs look like for us. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3
  • Vintage 1