[PGT] Canucks at Leafs - Fate worse than death edition

Roger Neilsons Towel

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, they weren't lazy tonight, just sloppy and over matched 

I'll agree with a bit sloppy but we outshot the leafs and our O zone time was way more.  Just seemed like if there was a bounce it just went the other way every time.

Edited by ronning4center

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Their depth players outplayed Nux depth players.

All 5 goals were 5 on 5.  So uncharacteristic.   

Hope Bleuger is ready to go tomorrow.  Tocchet said he's going in. 

Need a shake up. 

Maybe slot in Studz tomorrow as well. 

• Cheers 1

Interesting comment from Tocchet tonight;

"I find with this team, if we don't get some practices we get sloppy" 

Imo that speaks volumes, it's still an immature team learning how to win.

They've piled up points so far, but Tocchet is a guy thats seen it all in this game & he sees the bigger picture regarding this team. 

We've had this talent for a bit now but it's really Tocchet & his experience (along with Ruthervin) that makes me confident.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Interesting comment from Tocchet tonight;

"I find with this team, if we don't get some practices we get sloppy" 

Imo that speaks volumes, it's still an immature team learning how to win.

They've piled up points so far, but Tocchet is a guy thats seen it all in this game & he sees the bigger picture regarding this team. 

We've had this talent for a bit now but it's really Tocchet & his experience (along with Ruthervin) that makes me confident.

See who shows up for optional practice tomorrow 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I'll agree with a bit sloppy but we outshot the leafs and our O zone time was way more.  Just seemed like if there was a bounce it just went the other way every time.

Half those shots came in the first 15 mins of the first, mostly on the pp.  They were zero threat after that, especially 5v5

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Aw damn, what happened guys? I missed the game....kids surprised me with an all day outing that ran overtime. Got to see the end of the 3rd only. Never miss a game, but this was an exception. 

OK, tomorrow's ours. Grrrrrrrr hate losing.

What happened was you weren't watching the game and JT was playing unsupervised as a result.

😆 

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

It had to happen sooner or later. The Canucks have had the bounces go their way so far this season and Demmer has bailed them out when breakdowns have occurred. Tonight the Canucks did not get the breaks. Here are what I see as interesting points.

1. The Canucks outshot Toronto 33-22 and won the "expected goals" battle (using Natural Stat Trick's expected goals model) by a small margin. Despite the final score, it was a fairly even game, but Vancouver probably was the slightly better team. For maybe the first time this season, the final score was unfavorable to the Canucks relative to the underlying quality of the play.

2. That said, several of guys who have been great so far this season had subpar performances. Most importantly, Demko did not have a great game. On the first goal, Demmer seemed to lose track of the puck and was not well positioned to defend the goal-mouth scramble. The second goal was knocked in by Myers who had a particularly chaotic shift, but Demko seemed to move too far to his left. The third goal was a low percentage shot that Demko almost always stops but it looked like his positioning was not quite right. Similarly, the 4th and 5th goals looked like shots Demmer usually stops. Maybe it was just back luck, but it looked like his positioning was not sharp tonight.

3. Also, the Hughes/Hronek pair had their worst game of the season. Their biggest problem was simply that they played too much of the game in their own zone. Usually they defend by keeping the puck at the other end of the ice. Once again, Hughes just did not look that sharp.

4. Interesting information about Petey. I thought he was over his early season problem (likely caused by a Myers shot). But he has not looked his best in the last two games.

5. I have been fairly positive about Myers lately, but he is back to his chaotic style of play. And he prevented what could have been a great start by taking a bone-headed penalty in the first period that led to a Toronto goal. The time of the goal came just after the PP ended but it was essentially a PP goal. Myers made a blatant cross-check for no good reason at center ice right in front of the referee shortly after the Canucks got a PP goal.

6. In the natural stat trick xGA and xGF numbers, Myers, Lafferty, and Hoglander looked bad. Personally, I did not notice Lafferty or Hoglander particularly, In the the HockeyStatCards summary Hronek, Myers and Hughes look bad, which is consistent with the eye test.

7. Bottom line: The Canuck skaters were not outplayed overall by the Leafs, although some of the top players (Hughes, Hronek, Pettersson) were sub-par and so was Myers. But Demmer was also subpar and that combo won't work. 

Like everyone else on CFF, am hoping for a stronger performance and better outcome tomorrow against Montreal

As a positive side note, Abby shut out Bakersfield 4-0 tonight.

As another side note, people worried about Canuck "regression" because their PDO was too high can take comfort in the fact that their PDO fell a lot tonight. It is still the best in the NHL but is now pretty close to the "reasonable" or "sustainable" range.

Great analysis. I normally see the game as you see it. 

Yeah today the bounces didn't go our way early. If it did, it might have been a different game. I think we outshot them 16-8 or something and was only up 2-1. Demmer wasn't like his normal self. Petey line got eaten up. 

Quinn didn't carry the puck as much. 

The effort was there but it just didn't look right. It could be the high pressure and intensity that Toronto came with. You could tell Toronto wanted it real bad. First play I think someone was in Boeser's face. Like who does that to Boes? Everybody loves the guy. 

2 hits (Joshua, Cole) followed by 2 fights. Toronto was ready to do whatever it took to win tonight and canucks didn't match it. It was fitting that the game was won in the paint with Toronto's greasy goals. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Lafferty and Beau we’re invisible tonight. Joshua packed it in after Mr Bean jumped him. Hogs barely saw the ice. 

Studz has fresh legs and sitting someone might light a fire under them. 

Pretty sure Toch didn't like the hogs fly by on one of the leafs goals. He could have beared down harder and tried to battle for the ouck but he sort of did a fly by with his stick and missed it leading to a goal. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Joshua for fooling us all thinking he could somewhat fight jesus

Giordano went from never being drafted, to winning a Norris trophy. The battles and fight it took to get there would have been crazy, don't think for a second that Gio isn't a tough sob. 

• Cheers 1