[PGT] Canucks at Leafs - Fate worse than death edition

Roger Neilsons Towel

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wouldn't say 3-4 games.   Two games they haven't been "on".    Was at the Ottawa game, it wasn't a great game by us but we did have some players that had good games - Hronek was one of them, and EP woke up in the 3rd.   Millers line wasn't bad either, just not on.   QHs was off.   A lot of blown tires, from both teams, especially in one area of the ice (left side near the hash marks attacking side).   OTT had few great scoring chances.   We did get lucky though, on a post-cross bar, and at one point (going into the third period) they were owning us in the dot so we were often trying to get possession back (which we did in the third).  35% at our lowest...by the end it was closer to even.     Looked like 9-3 (us) high danger shots/chances, a lot of their shots were easy muffins.  

Cause for concern?  Yes.   Is it the "real bubble team" ... maybe.   Thankfully one of the tougher parts of our schedule is done, and we've got almost all the points against Western teams.    Didn't think the EDM game was bad other than the first period.  

93-96 points seemed doable before the season started.   For sure a bubble team.   If everything worked out ... maybe a 2-3 spot.     Vegas was always the team in our division.   Taking all six points from EDM for sure is a nice cushion.    Dallas is a legit contender.    Picked them in the finals this year.    It's not like we've been playing chumps this year either, OTT is a very good young team, skilled, has size/truculence and is balanced (vets too).   Wouldn't call them an easy win either.  

So the Laffer bottom 6 won the game for them. Games like that happen. Anxious to see a rebound against the Habs. RT says Blueger is in so I am curious to see who sits. Beau? He has been playing better but I don't want to see Hogs sit. 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Blue said:

Nobody's giving the team credit for coming out physical. Joshua and the Coledozer delivered 2 text book hits and drew penalties 

They were great hits and both stood ground. The team responded with 2 goals.

I think the problem in this game is Heronic/Hughes. They played PK Subban enough to know how to take advantage of a 2 offensive d pairing.

I hope they split Hughes/Horonek today, because Montreal knows PK Subban holes too well.

Where we lost the game was not nailing the rest of the PP advantages. We should have put the game away. The rest of the game we never got our 5v5 going.

Edited by Tusk

50 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

So the Laffer bottom 6 won the game for them. Games like that happen. Anxious to see a rebound against the Habs. RT says Blueger is in so I am curious to see who sits. Beau? He has been playing better but I don't want to see Hogs sit. 

I would like to see Dakota Joshua benched for Blueger. I like Joshua, his hits are awesome, but I think he needs some fighting lessons. But I don't think he is done, just needs a bench.

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I would like to see Dakota Joshua benched for Blueger. I like Joshua, his hits are awesome, but I think he needs some fighting lessons. But I don't think he is done, just needs a bench.

Joshua, Beau, and Hogs (most games) have been weak links so far this season. Blue back will help push one out, but I'd like to see Aman get some games soon. He's big and is a good forechecker. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Joshua, Beau, and Hogs (most games) have been weak links so far this season. Blue back will help push one out, but I'd like to see Aman get some games soon. He's big and is a good forechecker. 

I can wait till Beau gets enough points that we can trade him for something like a prospect.

And Aman can come up.

Beau is UFA so we can just drop him this year but wonder what he could do in place of PDG on a trial basis. If nothing else but to wake up PDG

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Not Hogs. Get off Hogs back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Leafs got out shot 22-15 at even strength 

The point being made is Leafs figured out how to take advantage of Hughes/Heronik very successfully. 

Sure, we kept the Matthews line off the board. But they took advantage of our Offensive defense pair

3 minutes ago, Tusk said:

The point being made is Leafs figured out how to take advantage of Hughes/Heronik very successfully. 

Sure, we kept the Matthews line off the board. But they took advantage of our Offensive defense pair

Umm Hughs Hronek are the Canucks best defensive pair and one of the best defensive pairs in the league.

But here you are implying that Hughs is Evan Bouchard.

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

Umm Hughs Hronek are the Canucks best defensive pair and one of the best defensive pairs in the league.

But here you are implying that Hughs is Evan Bouchard.

No, I am implying that Hughes and Heronik were a -5 combined and should be a warning sign.

Also Demmers was out of position for at least 3 of the goals. You cant really blame Myers  on the second goal when he was interfered with and shoved into the goal but Demmers was really out of position anyway.

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

No, I am implying that Hughes and Heronik were a -5 combined and should be a warning sign.

It happens.

If it consistently happens against the best teams then it’s a not so good sign.

• Vintage 1

imho

we played a good first period.

we skated hard, hit hard and scored.

in the 2nd and 3rd.... we stopped skating, hitting AND more importantly scoring.

you'll never win many games if you stop these 3 things. 

59 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Hogs?  Hes consistently been the best of the bottom 6........him and Suter.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Wouldn't say 3-4 games.   Two games they haven't been "on".    Was at the Ottawa game, it wasn't a great game by us but we did have some players that had good games - Hronek was one of them, and EP woke up in the 3rd.   Millers line wasn't bad either, just not on.   QHs was off.   A lot of blown tires, from both teams, especially in one area of the ice (left side near the hash marks attacking side).   OTT had few great scoring chances.   We did get lucky though, on a post-cross bar, and at one point (going into the third period) they were owning us in the dot so we were often trying to get possession back (which we did in the third).  35% at our lowest...by the end it was closer to even.     Looked like 9-3 (us) high danger shots/chances, a lot of their shots were easy muffins.  

Cause for concern?  Yes.   Is it the "real bubble team" ... maybe.   Thankfully one of the tougher parts of our schedule is done, and we've got almost all the points against Western teams.    Didn't think the EDM game was bad other than the first period.  

93-96 points seemed doable before the season started.   For sure a bubble team.   If everything worked out ... maybe a 2-3 spot.     Vegas was always the team in our division.   Taking all six points from EDM for sure is a nice cushion.    Dallas is a legit contender.    Picked them in the finals this year.    It's not like we've been playing chumps this year either, OTT is a very good young team, skilled, has size/truculence and is balanced (vets too).   Wouldn't call them an easy win either.  

Edit:  Would say there was no way we'd beat the 70's Habs teams  or be on par with them, or the mid 90's Detroit team ... or last years Boston team either.     And aside from EP, the shooting percentage for quite a few players was out of whack.   It's just one loss.    Thankfully we've blown some teams out and have quite the cushion.     Believe that Friedman's comments were 100% fair - that this team has played to its potential, and over it, to start the season.   We won't win them all, and not all of our wins will look great either.    Just like we will lose some games, that we outplay other teams.    No reason to hit the panic button.   .600 hockey is more then enough at this point to see what playoffs look like for us. 

They didn't not play well against Edmonton for the majority of the game.  They peaked against Dallas and it's been a steady decline since.

No cause for alarm, I don't think, just settling into the more realistic version of who they are.  Hopefully they've banked enough points to give them some wiggle room.  As long as they avoid losing streaks they should be ok

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

They didn't not play well against Edmonton for the majority of the game.  They peaked against Dallas and it's been a steady decline since.

No cause for alarm, I don't think, just settling into the more realistic version of who they are.  Hopefully they've banked enough points to give them some wiggle room.  As long as they avoid losing streaks they should be ok

Tocc said post game that he thinks the team may need to get some practice time in... To reestablish some newer system habits that are slipping... "A little sloppy and slow desicions with breakouts". 

Though the Habs aren't elite completion, their playing well right now and have a high compete level.  So if the nucks can play well tonight, it will show that they have some bounce, and resolve in their game already this early in thr season.  We'll see soon enough!

GCG!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Hogs and Podz said:

Tocc said post game that he thinks the team may need to get some practice time in... To reestablish some newer system habits that are slipping... "A little sloppy and slow desicions with breakouts". 

Though the Habs aren't elite completion, their playing well right now and have a high compete level.  So if the nucks can play well tonight, it will show that they have some bounce, and resolve in their game already this early in thr season.  We'll see soon enough!

GCG!!!

They beat the Bruins last night.  Tyrure going to be hard to beat tonight